No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned up the battery tray area, ground out what little was left of the old tray (still some left and a couple of ground-down bolts), and test fitted the new universal battery tray on Saturday. Prepped and painted that area last night. I hope to install the battery tray next weekend. Then reinstall the evap/charcoal box; that mounts underneath the battery tray.

Comment

Installed Battery tray yesterday evening. I had to cut a small hole in the inner fender to get the tray to line up properly. Then stacked rubber spacers to mount it up to. It's pretty tight, but flexes with the plastic fender. At the least I have something to hold the battery down to.

I ran out of fender washers; so I will install the last middle bolt sometime this week if I can get out of work early enough. I will shoot for installing the charcoal canister as well.

Comment

That looks good Jacob. Just make sure that bolt (holding the support to the tray) wont rub through your battery.

In Phoenix, the battery trays were even rusted on these cars. lol
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've been looking at that since the install. I will see if I can get a rubber plug to place over the knub of the bolt. ALso need to get a rubber sheet to lay on the bottom so the battery doesn't touch and pivot on the bolt heads. In retrospect, I probably should have moved the battery to the trunk. We'll see.

Comment

I installed the charcoal box and got it plumbed into the gas tank line. I am working on placing the solenoid in a convenient spot to plumb into the intake.

Comment

Removed the eyesore of an EGR system from the passenger side fender. Discovered from all of those lines; only one goes to some cylinder in the back of the firewall. I will plumb a hose from the 3-way filter valve thingy in the center of the firewall.

Comment

Make sure to set the solenoid in the proper direction.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^ROFL I worried about that all winter! Kept thinking about how I can test it before firing the engine up. THat was 4 months of thinking it out. When I went to test fit the solenoid, I found that it had arrows on the back of the fitting portion *doh*^^^^^^^^^

I also have a mess of wires that I will have to separate and eliminate one day. For now, I will tape over the plugs and push them aside. This is the beginning of the nitpicking part of the project that I don't really want to do. Plus, my Ranger is running kinda horrible; so my nitpicking time is limited.
                  Last edited by packman; 04-17-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I got very little done this weekend. I had to work on Saturday; which didn't bum me out because it rained all day. I spent yesterday catching up on chores and stuff; but I managed a half hour to install the evap box lines. I worked out how to mount the solenoid; I just have to get outside and get it done. Hope to actually have some time to work on the CV next weekend.

Comment

Last weekend I attempted to install the charcoal box line to the solenoid and the fitting broke. The local Pep Boys (5 miles from me) used to have a "performance section" with the fittings and other stuff, but sometime in the past year, they took those aisles out and expanded their warehouse. So I ended up mail ordering the fittings and other stuff that I needed. Installed the line last Weds. and have done nothing since. I hope to get to the junkyard and get the center console out of the Subaru for my gauges and get that going. Once all the wiring is done, I will get to the MAF swap and begin the process of installing the engine.

Comment

I am interested in seeing the console!
                        ~David~

Comment

A couple weeks ago I went to the junkyard and found some items that I have been looking for. First pic is a center console (or whatever it's called) from an early 90s Subaru Forester. Going to trace the empty center section onto cardboard and cut a sheet of steel or aluminum out to fill in the space. That should have enough space to hold the gauges. I will obviously have to cut the console in half or whatever is needed to clear the front bench. Pretty sure I can make something up, but it would take too long for me to figure out.

2nd pic is the center console and UCA from a 1994 MGM. I will go back at a later date and get the spindles, calipers, and LCA from either the 1998 or 2002 MGM that they have; whichever is cleanest. Also might attempt to grab the rear discs and backing plate off of the '94 MGM. I would take the whole rear, but I already rebuilt 1 rear, don't feel like rebuilding another. Though in all likelihood, I will have to do that if I want rear discs.

Comment

My 3rd photo that showed the fitment of the cardboard panel inside the center console wouldn't upload. This is what I am going to use for my gauges. I will cut a piece of aluminum for this; and hope I have the strength to bend it a little. I would like to find wallpaper with the same or similar wood grain pattern that is found inside the CV and stick it on the panel. If I don't, I will polish it and stick it on the console. Hopefully this works out; at least in the short term.

Comment

Mass Air swapeth begin!

Comment

Crap! I'm gonna void the warranty!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X