PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

That's the problem with this hobby. At least for me; if I think I can do something myself; I will invest in the tools and the time to learn that task. Plumbing was one of the 1st things I tackled (many many moons ago); all because of my buddy with his '67 Chevelle. That car would go into the shop for something like fuel line replacement or a similar task. I don't know how much my buddy spent on that, but I look at it as something I didn't need to spend money on. So, I bought AN wrenches and a Koul Tools hose end kit and went from there. I have 2 sets of wrenches and AN vice jaws (for keeping the fitting in place while you wrench them together). AN wrenches are aluminum and are needed for the aluminum fittings. That's it for those tools.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1391.JPEG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	55542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1393.JPEG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	55543

Regular AN lines are not particularly hard to assemble. You use the Koul Tools hose end tool to jam the braided rubber hose into the hose end. Then you take the hose and hose-end; then place it in the vice jaws. Dab a little oil on the end of the cone on the fitting and jam it into the hose until the threads make contact. Then you just thread the fitting together; it does get harder to turn the further you get in; but it goes together.

Name:	IMG_1382.JPEG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	55540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1390.JPEG 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	55541

The high pressure fittings don't require any special tools. You need a small flat-head screwdriver and regular wrenches. Because the ptfe lines are teflon-lined; they won't go together like the braided rubber lines. The fittings for these resemble plumber's compression fittings; and thus have ferrules to grab onto the teflon lining. Good thing here is that you don't need special tools. You start by putting your hose-end sleeve onto the hose. Then, carefully poking a small flathead screwdriver in between the steel braid and the teflon lining, you separate them the length of the ferrule. Insert the ferrule over the teflon lining. Then cut the splayed steel braids back with tin-snips (preferably a new sharp set); this is done so that when you slide the hose-end sleeve over the ferrule, the steel braids don't get into the threads of the hose end. Then you place in the vice jaws and thread the fitting together.

Name:	IMG_1383.JPEG 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	55544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1392.JPEG 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	55545

Of course, this is all covered in detail on YouTube. If I had YouTube when I was in my teens and 20s, I would have done a lot more of this work at a younger age.
    Last edited by packman; 01-03-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Appreciate the quick synopsis. Looks doable. A matter of knowing about fittings and acquiring them and proper hoses at reasonable prices.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

The different fittings and thread types are something that I need to learn.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I installed my return line between meetings. I tried to install the supply line, but it's 3/4" too long; and too short and inflexible to bend it towards the steering box. I have 2 options; 1) cut it down to exact length (which I will try first); 2)remove the fittings and cut some hose that's way longer than needed and route it accordingly to the steering box. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I ended up doing no. 2 (from above post). I tried cutting the 1st supply line down; but it got to the point where the hose sleeves were touching; and it was still 1/16" too long with absolutely no flexibility. So I cut a much longer length of ptfe hose that is very close to the stock hose length. Now I know why the stock hoses were the length that they were. And it has quite a bit of movement. I have hose clamps somewhere to tie the lines together; and keep them from rubbing against other things.

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	55552

I went out briefly today to lay out and measure the electric fan I plan to install for this car. Long story short, I got this dual 13.5" fan for this project, but was dismayed to see that it didn't fit the radiator I got for the CV. I figured it would go on Putter Project as that radiator was larger than the CV radiator. A few years later, I pulled the single 16" electric fan from the Ranger B4 junking it and had planned to use that instead. Fast forward to last Friday night; which I spent cleaning the basement. Came across the dual 13.5 fan and realized that it wouldn't take much to make it work with the CV radiator. After a little Dremel action, I got it to lay up nicely against the radiator. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it as a whole unit to the CV. I have a good idea, just have to find or buy the material.

Name:	IMG_1309.JPEG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	55579

Looks like a nearly perfect fit. I love finding parts I forgot I had!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Did a little e-fan fitting on Thursday afternoon. I figured out the top and bottom mounts to suspend the e-fan; just need to work on the side brackets. I might use the same method as the top mounts, but I will need longer spacers. I'm thinking small diameter pvc with washers top and bottom to keep the bolt or stud steady against the fan and bracket. I'll see what a trip to Home Depot will yield.

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	55604 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	55605

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself; but I think I am going to bend and flare up a new rear brake line. Then assemble a -4an ptfe hose back to the T-fitting on the rear diff. I have the appropriate adapters and the ptfe hose for the job; I just want to see how my power steering lines hold up before doing this. I think we changed the rear brake line 17 years ago; but its current appearance doesn't indicate this. I would feel more confident with the 1st drive if I do this. Of course, I know I will probably be dealing with other issues when that time comes.

If things turn out favorable on the engine front than being concerned about stopping is not out of line.
    ~David~

Unfortunately, stopping was not a consideration when I was young. At least not after sailing through a few stoplights due to brake fade. But, it was not as easy to build power back then (for us ignorant-type); so we spent much time making the cars faster (for that time). I have a feeling this CV will be quicker than most of my friend's cars were back in the day.

On Monday after work; I went out to the Crown Vic and pulled the relay covers and bracket. I had noticed that they stood out (in a bad way) in all the pictures that I have been taking. Yesterday I sprayed the relay cover bracket with Dupli-Color Royal Blue; which went fairly well. I have a run that I need to sand out; then put a light coat over it at a later date. The relay covers themselves; well, it was going good until a gust of wind knocked one off of the holder (straightened and bent coat hanger) whilst spraying. I tried wiping the snow off and it messed it up more. I waited until 10PM last night to get a look at the one that hit the snow. I sanded down the run that resulted from the snow strike and painted it. Just yanked it from the cellar. If you look at the radiator pic above; it's the relay cover that has duct tape remains on it. Here is a picture of it now.

Name:	IMG_1430.JPEG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	55806

It's not perfect by any means, but still a whole lot better than it was in the earlier pic. I am going to clear coat it along with the bracket when the weather breaks.

I'm debating on what to do with the horn as that is now sticking out LOL :-/

I was going through the remaining parts to be installed and found the CAI pieces that were leftover from the lopo. I had bought a K&N CAI kit for Whales to be retrofitted to the CV; but I ran out of storage space and ended up installing it on my '05 MGM. Since I did that; I decided to make up my own CAI from PVC and another K&N cone air cleaner element that I originally bought to replace the lopo filter. The replacement filter has a larger outlet (I had forgotten the part# of the original lopo K&N cone filter); but fortunately, it kinda works with the MAF sensor inlet. I will just need to put a heat gun to the K&N outlet so I can get it to fit/form around the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor outlet reduces down to a little over 2.75". Kinda annoying but it gives me the opportunity to use up some plumbing supplies we have in the basement. I found my BBK CAI installation kit that I bought 12 years ago, but never used. I took the rubber collar and found that it fits over the MAF sensor outlet. I have a 4" to 3" reducer collar (for pvc) that fits over the [now expanded] MAF sensor outlet. I will run 4" pvc to another reducer and use the old 3" pvc as a joint to the 45* rubber elbow that attaches to the throttle body. It won't be pretty; but the only thing that I will be buying for this will be insulated CAI wrap for the pvc pipe. I also have to drill and tap the pvc for the IAT sensor relocation. I will get more pics when I put this together.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	55837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	55838

I just went outside to reinstall the relay covers and mounting bracket; but before doing so; I decided to clean the relays as they have a lot of lopo oil and grime on them. In doing so; I saw that the accessory relay has a worn wire (I will ID this later) at the terminal connection. After seeing this; I realized that I may need to get replacement relays to have just in case. I know I will be getting the relay portion; but the plug-part with the female terminal pins I will have to purchase separately; or fix the old one. I will see what kind of terminals they are and buy some. Then attempt to splice it into plug.

Also, I noticed that the relay covers have 2 slots inside to fit 2 relays. On my '86 CV; 3 of the relays were inside of the covers; and 1 was mounted externally directly onto the bracket. Is there a reason for this? Or can I take the clip off and mount the relay inside of the cover next to the fuel injector relay? If this can be done; it would look a little better; and it would keep the relay cleaner; as that relay was particularly grimy.

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	55839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	55840

The one that hangs out exposed is the horn relay IIRC. Could be handy to have outside to remove if needed should the relay weld itself shut. But that's the only reason I can see leaving it outside.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I second the lone wolf relay as the horn one. As long as that mounting tab is not used as a ground (does not appear to be) I dont see why you cant shove it in with its friends.

Id go new bosch automotive relays and ditch the ford stuff. Just more common and easily replaceable in the future. Wont fit as nicely inside the relay covers you just fancied up but can fit snugly with some thick foam shoved in between.
    ~David~

I'm gonna shove it inside of the cover next to the fuel injector relay. I will clean and paint the clip; and keep it on the side with its fastener. I will probably get the Ford relays for now as they can still be had; then at a later date; get the Bosch units. If this car was a daily driver; I would endeavor to install the Bosch units; but for the time being, the CV will be a weekend cruiser for my Mom.

So I attempted to repair the damaged terminal wire and realized I didn't have the die to properly crimp the standard-size block terminal (female) that are in the relay plugs. I tried to use one of the other dies that came with my tool, but it failed the moment I tried mounting the relay into the cover. So I will order the proper die and more block terminals as I only purchased a small Dorman terminal assortment. Hopefully these things come in time for the warmer weather; as I would like to take advantage of it. I did notice when attempting this; that the relay pin that mates with the block terminal I was replacing; had broken off inside the terminal. So I am glad that I got replacement relays.

I did mount the horn and fuel injector relays into one of the covers and mounted that to the mounting plate; so there was some success today.

Pics

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	55915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	55916 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	55917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	55918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	55919 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	55920 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	55921
    Last edited by packman; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617