No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is just a replaceable part I’d be happy no matter how hard to find over one that would need to be cut and welded in.

Good luck with the clean up.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

From what I can see it looks like the limb hit the center of the trunk lip; or at least, that's where the tarp is torn. Unfortunately, there is so much tree in the way, I can't get back there to get a good look. Whenever the time comes; I will go to the junkyard and see if there are any boxes left to nab a trunk lid from.

Comment

It was far better than it looked. Small dent at the trunk lip. Looks like the 4" limb that extended from the trunk of the tree clipped the CV trunk before hitting the garage roof and rolling off of the I-beam garage frame (thank you Dad) and settling off to the side of the car.

On Saturday I cleared a path to the garage and looked into the window. The garage is in better shape than I thought, but still trashed. And I messed up again like I did 10 years ago though. The SA-200 Pipeliner that was crushed by the 1st tree was on the steel horses under the I-beam in the front of the garage because my Dad and I was working on it. I failed to remove it and put the other SA-200 back under the I-beam for refreshing (his original welder from when he began his own business). Since the original SA-200 was in the back of the garage; it is under the fallen tree trunk and debris. So now we have 2 crushed Lincoln SA-200s It is what it is, but very annoying!

Comment

My Dad's friend came through yesterday and cleared out the tree. It took them only a hour to do; but as my Dad said, it was a small job for them. After shuffling Putter Project around a bit, I went into the garage and found that things were in better shape than it looked from the outside. The SA-200 in the rear of the garage is in much better shape than I thought. I moved some of the roof off of the machine and it only has a small dent on the top; I'll see when I dig the rest of the machine out. The lawnmower is untouched as it sat on the other side (which didn't collapse) and my old 390FE is in good shape too.

As such, I uncovered the CV and other than a small dent in the trunk lid, it was untouched. So I wrapped up my gauge installation yesterday evening. I hope to get this car moving by October, so I can clear the backyard to clear the garage and then the demo of it. Pics of the gauge install.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1229.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1287323 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.JPEG
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1287324 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.JPEG
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	1287325

Comment

Nice gauge console.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you Tiggie But it has many flaws that I need to correct to bring up to the standards of the other Rides in this forum.

Comment

Ya got my crap beat with just that console.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sly: were you not the one who made a third brake light out of a Nintendo ROB?

Comment

Yes I was. That was in the Pontiac Parisienne. I still have that head in my junk pile too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I mocked up the upper intake on Saturday to discover a couple issues (well, 1.5 issues). The foremost issue was my original throttle cable is too short to reach the TB. I don't know if there is any adjustment as I have not messed with one before.

I also removed the wiper motor to see how things would fit. It appears that I might not be able to replace the wiper motor. I don't know the travel path of the wiper linkage; but I can see that the valve cover protrudes quite a bit into the wiper motor cover. Perhaps after I get everything else sorted out, I will install the wiper motor and hope there is no interference.

Name:	IMG_1238.JPEG
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1287342 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.JPEG
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1287343 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.JPEG
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1287344 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236.JPEG
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	1287345

Comment

I pulled an accelerator cable from a 88 crown victoria and from a 89? Town car in the same day. One was a couple inches longer than the other. I would like to say it was the town car one but am not one hundred percent sure.

May help you out with one issue. I am perplexed by all of your other issues.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

At some point, I need to get over my hypochondria and go to the junkyard and get the parts I need for this project. Among those would be a throttle cable. Perhaps the '86 cable is shorter than other years. IDK

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                            At some point, I need to get over my hypochondria and go to the junkyard and get the parts I need for this project. Among those would be a throttle cable. Perhaps the '86 cable is shorter than other years. IDK
                            Never ran into an issue with the accelerator cable being too short. Then again I was using factory ford parts.

Comment

I yanked the old cable out and measured it out to be 19". I will need approximately 3" more to reach the throttle body. Trying to decide on whether to get a 24" Lokar cable; or get an ATP oem cable for the cfi Panthers; which measures out to 22.75".

Comment

I forgot to post these when I did the throttle cable swap. So I decided to go with the ATP stock replacement cable for the 85 and prior model year LTD. Since I am using the stock TB cable bracket, I decided to go with a stock cable. This one is 22.75" vs the 19" cable. Funny thing is that I measured the cable I pulled off of the CV and one I pulled off of one of the many Mercs that used to populate the junkyard I frequent. The Merc cable was 1" longer than the CV cable. I may have measured both incorrectly, but there was definitely a visible difference when put side by side.

edit: I remember now, I was pretty angry about removing the original TB cable as I chopped up my hand in the process. There was the back end of a sheetmetal screw sticking out of the firewall that jacked up my hand as I unscrewed the bracket. After spending 3 hours just to remove 1 bolt; I gave up and cut through the bottom of the already butchered wiper motor cover. It only took 15 minutes to remove the remaining bolt and install the replacement TB cable.

Name:	IMG_1261.JPEG
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1287371 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.JPEG
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1287372
                                Last edited by packman; 08-31-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X