No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock pump went to the scrapyard with the lopo and stock drivetrain. I had the fuel pump running after I made the initial ECM ground connector repair. That would have been my 2nd first-start attempt. Sometime between that time (when I was trying to figure out the no-start with key on issue) and the 3rd first-start attempt was when I realized it was not running again. Did a lot of wire harness checking; which includes replacing the ECM ground connector altogether. Cleaning and replacing the various relays. Then I finally concluded that the A9P might be the problem; and it looks like it might be part of the problem at the very least. We'll see..............

Comment

I made a quick call to Foxresto.com earlier about my A9P and they said that I can ship my ECM to them; but I should be aware that my Quarterhorse may have damaged the processor; at which point, there is nothing they can do. I'm hoping that is not the case. If that is the case; I guess my next options are some sort of Holley efi system or something along those lines; or part the Crown Vic out.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
        I made a quick call to Foxresto.com earlier about my A9P and they said that I can ship my ECM to them; but I should be aware that my Quarterhorse may have damaged the processor; at which point, there is nothing they can do. I'm hoping that is not the case. If that is the case; I guess my next options are some sort of Holley efi system or something along those lines; or part the Crown Vic out.
        I told you months ago that I would help you with this. I have multiple A9P style ecus to operate the engine. I also have a bunch of experience with these operating systems. But you haven't reached out to me. The capacitor leaking is not caused from the quarterhorse. In the case that you do need another ECM I will guide you to a suitable replacement that isn't the overpriced A9P.

Comment

Yah, I know; and I am sorry that I failed to take you up on that offer. We had a lot of things going on here. But if anything, I learned a lot about the Crown Vic; and other EFI cars for that matter. I am learning that I need to ID and check the condition of the main harness components. It might be painful to watch and read, but I am learning.

Comment

Since the weather has been less than optimal to work on this stuff; I managed to do a small thing yesterday whilst working from home. I glued a divider onto the power accessory circuit breaker. I noticed that the factory circuit breaker had a divider between the poles. I figured it was there for a reason; so I did likewise. One of these days when the humidity and temps drop a little, I will go out there and start working on this car again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1290578 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1290579 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1290580

Comment

Probably just to keep things from shorting across the breaker since the tabs used to connect to it are not round. Definitely a good idea. Nice use of tool sales hanger.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was lying on top of the debris in the trash can. If I had dug down deeper; I woulda used the Duralast socket holder/hanger instead; as it's black.

Comment

I managed to do a couple things for the Crown Vic over the weekend. I installed the circuit breaker for the power accessories (that rusty box on the starter solenoid) and reinstalled the Quarterhorse back into the ECU. Not much, but something. I still need to siphon out the old gas, reinstall the ECU, and lube the cylinders before I attempt another 1st start. That might be a few weeks from now; as I want to focus on installing the exhaust on my Merc.

Other than that, I spent the rest of the weekend replacing some of the plumbing in the basement; and bracing some of the old plumbing that's left so I can take it apart. Fun stuff!

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1290653 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1290654 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1751.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1290655

Comment

Brown Muscle's thread reminded me of last year's 2nd first start attempt. I put the old American Racing wheels back on the CV for that; but I left the spacers on there because I didn't feel like breaking them loose. I like the look. Too bad I will not be keeping those wheels when (if) this car gets moving under its own power.

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1290698

Comment

I always loved how those wheels look. So damn nice.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yah! Freakin American Racing Wheels doesn't make them in 18"+

Comment

So, a few Fridays ago, during a quiet moment at work; I began to think about the Crown Vic. And for unknown reasons, I remembered that my Powermaster starter didn't come with wiring instructions or a wiring diagram. At the time when I installed it, I wired the starter like the OEM starter was wired. I may have errored in doing that. I went to their website to find the instructions, but they don't have anything available for that model starter (9403). But, they have wiring diagrams and instructions for their other starters for the small block Windsor Ford engines. I noticed that Powermaster had in bold print that vehicles with a remote starter solenoid must have a jumper wire installed between the battery terminal and the ignition terminal on the starter. Even though it is for other models of starters; I wondered if that applied to mine? So I sent them an e-mail about that. A few hours later they confirmed that I needed that jumper wire.

Fast forward to this afternoon; I decided that I couldn't quarantine on a day like this (got COVID a week ago); so I went outside to get a breather. Which lead to me uncovering the Crown Vic for the 1st time in over a year. Cleaned the cobwebs from under the car to get a good look at the starter. I forgot that the ignition wire is fastened to the starter lug with a spade terminal. So I took some 8AWG wire and spliced it into the ignition wire. Then I crimped a ring terminal on the other end and stuck that on the battery lug. When I get around to siphoning the 2 year old gas out of the tank; I will make a concerted effort to trying another 1st start attempt. Hoping that this jumper wire (or lack thereof) was the reason for the no crank with the key.

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1392023 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1392024

Comment

Let us know how it turned out and feel better FAST!
                            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Glad to see you’re still kicking around!
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X