No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rad. hold downs cover quite a bit of space nobody will ever know.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good thing I'm not too worried about aesthetics; otherwise I'd be very annoyed.

Comment

Assembled the low pressure/return line for the power steering pump. Figured that would be the hose I would use for my 1st high pressure hose assembly. Now that I know how these go together; I will do a better job with the high pressure line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1288489

Comment

Change of plans; none of the fittings I got, fit the steering box. I assumed they were npt fittings; when in fact, they're SAE. Fortunately, I had extra fittings that I got for the steering pump; that fit the box. The supply line fitting is 5/8"-18; and the return line fitting is 11/16"-18 (I think as it appears to be 1 size larger than the supply line). They are straight fittings; which will make the routing more difficult and questionable.

I changed the return line over to the supply line (pictured in the previous post). It's a short run to the steering pump. The only concern I have with this is that the short run is kinda rigid. And this engine is a bit more rowdy than the lopo. There might be a reason why the stock supply line was looped around the way it was. I guess time will tell after I get this car running.

Name:	IMG_1386.JPEG
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	1288496

The new return line is a mix of -6an ptfe and regular -8an braided line with the appropriate adapter fittings. That is going to get routed around and under the steering box in order to avoid sharp bends.

Name:	IMG_1388.JPEG
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1288497

I ran out of light yesterday and the temperature dipped too much for me for the install. I will wait until the next nice day to put this up. Then I will work on the electric fan.

Comment

These hose things is one thing I have not gotten into. I see a lot of fancy hoses on this build. I am happy if I can find off the shelf stuff. I have way too many other niches already covered and dont wan a bunch of tools for a new one...not yet at least. I think it is really neat you can make up hoses and such.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's the problem with this hobby. At least for me; if I think I can do something myself; I will invest in the tools and the time to learn that task. Plumbing was one of the 1st things I tackled (many many moons ago); all because of my buddy with his '67 Chevelle. That car would go into the shop for something like fuel line replacement or a similar task. I don't know how much my buddy spent on that, but I look at it as something I didn't need to spend money on. So, I bought AN wrenches and a Koul Tools hose end kit and went from there. I have 2 sets of wrenches and AN vice jaws (for keeping the fitting in place while you wrench them together). AN wrenches are aluminum and are needed for the aluminum fittings. That's it for those tools.

Name:	IMG_1391.JPEG
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	1288500 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.JPEG
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1288501

Regular AN lines are not particularly hard to assemble. You use the Koul Tools hose end tool to jam the braided rubber hose into the hose end. Then you take the hose and hose-end; then place it in the vice jaws. Dab a little oil on the end of the cone on the fitting and jam it into the hose until the threads make contact. Then you just thread the fitting together; it does get harder to turn the further you get in; but it goes together.

Name:	IMG_1382.JPEG
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1288498 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.JPEG
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	1288499

The high pressure fittings don't require any special tools. You need a small flat-head screwdriver and regular wrenches. Because the ptfe lines are teflon-lined; they won't go together like the braided rubber lines. The fittings for these resemble plumber's compression fittings; and thus have ferrules to grab onto the teflon lining. Good thing here is that you don't need special tools. You start by putting your hose-end sleeve onto the hose. Then, carefully poking a small flathead screwdriver in between the steel braid and the teflon lining, you separate them the length of the ferrule. Insert the ferrule over the teflon lining. Then cut the splayed steel braids back with tin-snips (preferably a new sharp set); this is done so that when you slide the hose-end sleeve over the ferrule, the steel braids don't get into the threads of the hose end. Then you place in the vice jaws and thread the fitting together.

Name:	IMG_1383.JPEG
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1288502 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.JPEG
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1288503

Of course, this is all covered in detail on YouTube. If I had YouTube when I was in my teens and 20s, I would have done a lot more of this work at a younger age.
              Last edited by packman; 01-03-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Appreciate the quick synopsis. Looks doable. A matter of knowing about fittings and acquiring them and proper hoses at reasonable prices.
                ~David~

Comment

The different fittings and thread types are something that I need to learn.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I installed my return line between meetings. I tried to install the supply line, but it's 3/4" too long; and too short and inflexible to bend it towards the steering box. I have 2 options; 1) cut it down to exact length (which I will try first); 2)remove the fittings and cut some hose that's way longer than needed and route it accordingly to the steering box. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Comment

I ended up doing no. 2 (from above post). I tried cutting the 1st supply line down; but it got to the point where the hose sleeves were touching; and it was still 1/16" too long with absolutely no flexibility. So I cut a much longer length of ptfe hose that is very close to the stock hose length. Now I know why the stock hoses were the length that they were. And it has quite a bit of movement. I have hose clamps somewhere to tie the lines together; and keep them from rubbing against other things.

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1288504

Comment

I went out briefly today to lay out and measure the electric fan I plan to install for this car. Long story short, I got this dual 13.5" fan for this project, but was dismayed to see that it didn't fit the radiator I got for the CV. I figured it would go on Putter Project as that radiator was larger than the CV radiator. A few years later, I pulled the single 16" electric fan from the Ranger B4 junking it and had planned to use that instead. Fast forward to last Friday night; which I spent cleaning the basement. Came across the dual 13.5 fan and realized that it wouldn't take much to make it work with the CV radiator. After a little Dremel action, I got it to lay up nicely against the radiator. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it as a whole unit to the CV. I have a good idea, just have to find or buy the material.

Name:	IMG_1309.JPEG
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	1288527

Comment

Looks like a nearly perfect fit. I love finding parts I forgot I had!
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Did a little e-fan fitting on Thursday afternoon. I figured out the top and bottom mounts to suspend the e-fan; just need to work on the side brackets. I might use the same method as the top mounts, but I will need longer spacers. I'm thinking small diameter pvc with washers top and bottom to keep the bolt or stud steady against the fan and bracket. I'll see what a trip to Home Depot will yield.

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1288549 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1288550

Comment

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself; but I think I am going to bend and flare up a new rear brake line. Then assemble a -4an ptfe hose back to the T-fitting on the rear diff. I have the appropriate adapters and the ptfe hose for the job; I just want to see how my power steering lines hold up before doing this. I think we changed the rear brake line 17 years ago; but its current appearance doesn't indicate this. I would feel more confident with the 1st drive if I do this. Of course, I know I will probably be dealing with other issues when that time comes.

Comment

If things turn out favorable on the engine front than being concerned about stopping is not out of line.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X