No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh; I bought a strut tower coil mounting bracket (for '86-'93 Mustangs) to use on the CV. Hopefully I can mount it off the passenger side cylinder head somehow; if not, I'm out $20

Comment

Mounted the coil on the passenger side cylinder head using the Mustang strut tower bracket. A little jenky-looking, but it works.

I was feeling ambitious and attempted to install the upper intake; and that's where the progress ended. The '85 TB cable I got was way too long, so I took it out and re positioned it; and it was still too long (meaning it extended well beyond the TB lever). So, I took that out, which took a long time because the replacement cable has a plastic collar; which dug into the retaining collar by the gas pedal. I put the original cable back in, but routed it differently; now it's too long (when it previously fell far short of the TB lever). I played with the cable bracket (the one that hangs off the TB) some yesterday and then other stuff became a priority. Hope to have it all sorted out this coming weekend.

Comment

Since I couldn't find a tubing bender to fit the trans dipstick tube; I got a Lokar dipstick and installed it. Also figured out the throttle cable deal; which allowed me to install the upper intake. I have to finish plumbing the hoses that go into the intake; but that part is pretty much done.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	1287436

Comment

I finished the plumbing for the upper intake last weekend. I lost a clamp for the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum tree; stuck the magnetic wand into the intake runners just in case it ended up in there. I can't find it anywhere; I will just hope that it fell off as I was carrying it to the car. Also figured out how to mount the valve cover-to-throttle body air oil separator. I had to buy aluminum 90* stock as I ran out of scrap metal in the basement. It's ugly, but it works. I will plumb the separator and run the tv cable to the trans next weekend. Maybe start mounting the accessories if time permits.

Comment

I got very little done this weekend; but I managed to install the power steering pump to the junkyard bracket; and after purchasing a tool; I pressed the pulley onto the pump. I am going to attempt making new lines; if that doesn't work, I will purchase replacement high pressure line.

Name:	IMG_1300.JPEG
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1287466

Comment

My air oil separator install. It looks high in the picture, but it actually sits lower than the TPS sensor.

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1288114

Comment

Looks like a moroso unit. I like their pieces a lot.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I like how the Moroso units come with mounting hardware and brass fittings.

I was going to use the Steeda can, but I decided to use it for my Aunt's Saturn. I also have another can that I got a decade ago; and although being a nice aluminum can, it has no brackets or anything to mount it with. I think it was meant for Mustangs with the hard plastic PCV lines. I will probably use it on the Explorer or maybe the '05 MGM.

Comment

So, it was the water pump. Got an Airtex water pump for a P72 and everything lines up. I will have to bore out the threads on the alternator hold-down bolt so I can run a long bolt to the cylinder head. Gonna play with it some more tomorrow; then take it off the engine; clean it; and paint it. At least this particular problem is solved

Comment

Since I couldn't find my power steering bracket bolts, I got 7/16 threaded rod and cut it down to fit their slots. I found the rod and had nuts in the cabinet; but no washers. When I go out to get the washers, I will see if I can find 7/16" cap nuts. Meanwhile, I installed the alternator to see how it lines up, which it did. I was going to assemble my power steering hose, but I discovered that I failed to get the proper hose ends. I will order them this week. That was yesterday.

Comment

After grocery shopping and running errand today, I attempted to fit the radiator and electric fan. That failed because it took me way too long to get the rear cellar door clear of my stuff; and I misplaced the lower radiator rubber isolators. It was dark by the time I found them, so I covered the car and worked on my MGM dual exhaust project. I will go out there on Tuesday and remove the alternator and the bracket so I can apply never-sieze to the threaded rod and permanently mount those accessories.

Comment

I put thick washers behind the power steering bracket to make up the gap; never-siezed the threaded rod going into the cylinder head; and tightened it down with 7/16" cap nuts. Still waiting on the high pressure fittings as I ordered them right before X-mas; might be a little bit until I see them.

As such, I worked on getting the BeCool radiator fitted. Since it's a universal Ford radiator; the largest unit I could find was the 31" x 19" radiator. The radiator also has equal-sized tanks on each side (versus the stock radiator which had different sizes on each side). So I got 2 of the longer upper-radiator hold-down brackets to keep the radiator planted. I glued some extra rubber to the upper brackets because the old rubber was wearing thin. I had to modify the lower radiator support cushion on the passenger side by cutting some of the rubber off to fit the wider tank. When I made the final test fitting; the nut that is molded into the core support broke off with the bolt in it. I tried to grab it with a 90* plier and run the bolt off, but after a half hour of trying that in vein, I just ripped it out of the core support. Which took some of the paint off (POR-15) and bent the pocket upwards. I pounded it down with a hammer and punch; then repainted the area with POR-15. I decided to yank the crank pulley off in the meanwhile and repaint that with black metal-flake; to match the other pulleys that I recently painted; also because the blue paint that I had on there didn't take to the POR-15 undercoating and was peeling. I will reinstall everything permanently next weekend; and then I will mess with the electric fan fitment.

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1288470 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1288471

Comment

Bummer on the core support. How are you planning to address that?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I pounded it down flat the best I could with a hammer and wide punch. I am using a 5/16" U-nut and stainless bolt to hold the upper bracket down on that side. The driver side upper bracket bolt seems to be in better shape and is holding. In the end, it will all be covered up by the Whale radiator core cover that I got a while back.

Comment

Working...
                                X