No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, stopping was not a consideration when I was young. At least not after sailing through a few stoplights due to brake fade. But, it was not as easy to build power back then (for us ignorant-type); so we spent much time making the cars faster (for that time). I have a feeling this CV will be quicker than most of my friend's cars were back in the day.

Comment

On Monday after work; I went out to the Crown Vic and pulled the relay covers and bracket. I had noticed that they stood out (in a bad way) in all the pictures that I have been taking. Yesterday I sprayed the relay cover bracket with Dupli-Color Royal Blue; which went fairly well. I have a run that I need to sand out; then put a light coat over it at a later date. The relay covers themselves; well, it was going good until a gust of wind knocked one off of the holder (straightened and bent coat hanger) whilst spraying. I tried wiping the snow off and it messed it up more. I waited until 10PM last night to get a look at the one that hit the snow. I sanded down the run that resulted from the snow strike and painted it. Just yanked it from the cellar. If you look at the radiator pic above; it's the relay cover that has duct tape remains on it. Here is a picture of it now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1288650

It's not perfect by any means, but still a whole lot better than it was in the earlier pic. I am going to clear coat it along with the bracket when the weather breaks.

I'm debating on what to do with the horn as that is now sticking out LOL :-/

Comment

I was going through the remaining parts to be installed and found the CAI pieces that were leftover from the lopo. I had bought a K&N CAI kit for Whales to be retrofitted to the CV; but I ran out of storage space and ended up installing it on my '05 MGM. Since I did that; I decided to make up my own CAI from PVC and another K&N cone air cleaner element that I originally bought to replace the lopo filter. The replacement filter has a larger outlet (I had forgotten the part# of the original lopo K&N cone filter); but fortunately, it kinda works with the MAF sensor inlet. I will just need to put a heat gun to the K&N outlet so I can get it to fit/form around the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor outlet reduces down to a little over 2.75". Kinda annoying but it gives me the opportunity to use up some plumbing supplies we have in the basement. I found my BBK CAI installation kit that I bought 12 years ago, but never used. I took the rubber collar and found that it fits over the MAF sensor outlet. I have a 4" to 3" reducer collar (for pvc) that fits over the [now expanded] MAF sensor outlet. I will run 4" pvc to another reducer and use the old 3" pvc as a joint to the 45* rubber elbow that attaches to the throttle body. It won't be pretty; but the only thing that I will be buying for this will be insulated CAI wrap for the pvc pipe. I also have to drill and tap the pvc for the IAT sensor relocation. I will get more pics when I put this together.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1288664 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1288665

Comment

I just went outside to reinstall the relay covers and mounting bracket; but before doing so; I decided to clean the relays as they have a lot of lopo oil and grime on them. In doing so; I saw that the accessory relay has a worn wire (I will ID this later) at the terminal connection. After seeing this; I realized that I may need to get replacement relays to have just in case. I know I will be getting the relay portion; but the plug-part with the female terminal pins I will have to purchase separately; or fix the old one. I will see what kind of terminals they are and buy some. Then attempt to splice it into plug.

Also, I noticed that the relay covers have 2 slots inside to fit 2 relays. On my '86 CV; 3 of the relays were inside of the covers; and 1 was mounted externally directly onto the bracket. Is there a reason for this? Or can I take the clip off and mount the relay inside of the cover next to the fuel injector relay? If this can be done; it would look a little better; and it would keep the relay cleaner; as that relay was particularly grimy.

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1288666 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1288667

Comment

The one that hangs out exposed is the horn relay IIRC. Could be handy to have outside to remove if needed should the relay weld itself shut. But that's the only reason I can see leaving it outside.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I second the lone wolf relay as the horn one. As long as that mounting tab is not used as a ground (does not appear to be) I dont see why you cant shove it in with its friends.

Id go new bosch automotive relays and ditch the ford stuff. Just more common and easily replaceable in the future. Wont fit as nicely inside the relay covers you just fancied up but can fit snugly with some thick foam shoved in between.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm gonna shove it inside of the cover next to the fuel injector relay. I will clean and paint the clip; and keep it on the side with its fastener. I will probably get the Ford relays for now as they can still be had; then at a later date; get the Bosch units. If this car was a daily driver; I would endeavor to install the Bosch units; but for the time being, the CV will be a weekend cruiser for my Mom.

Comment

So I attempted to repair the damaged terminal wire and realized I didn't have the die to properly crimp the standard-size block terminal (female) that are in the relay plugs. I tried to use one of the other dies that came with my tool, but it failed the moment I tried mounting the relay into the cover. So I will order the proper die and more block terminals as I only purchased a small Dorman terminal assortment. Hopefully these things come in time for the warmer weather; as I would like to take advantage of it. I did notice when attempting this; that the relay pin that mates with the block terminal I was replacing; had broken off inside the terminal. So I am glad that I got replacement relays.

I did mount the horn and fuel injector relays into one of the covers and mounted that to the mounting plate; so there was some success today.

Pics

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1288713 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1288714 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1288715 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1288716 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1288717 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1288718 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1288719
                  Last edited by packman; 03-07-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I went outside during lunch to get some air and decided to take a look underneath the Crown Vic since the snow is gone. That turned into a hour and a half of messing with the electric fan. I cut up some aluminum stock to make the bottom mounts. I realized after making up the driver side bottom mount; that the fan was resting on the passenger side tank; because the outlet [lower] hose port is hitting the side of the fan; thus preventing it from sitting flush with the radiator core. So I took the fan out to do some more grinding on the plastic shell next to the lower hose port. I'm hoping that I don't have to make another driver side bottom mount as it was already sitting against the core. We'll see next time I get out there.

Pic

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1288725

Comment

I got the proper die for crimping open barrel terminals (the one found on the relay plugs) and played with it last night. Pictured is my first crimp that I did whilst watching classic Dr. Who episodes. Very easy to do with the proper die. I hope to get home today while the sun is still out. I will repair that terminal proper and mount that relay.

Name:	IMG_1435.JPEG
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1288728

Comment

Nice!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Done. After everybody abandoned me at work; I left soon after. Got home and crimped the terminal onto the wire and inserted it into the plug. Mounted the relay and cover and closed them book on that.

SInce the sun was still out; I decided to play with the electric fan. I did quite a bit of filing of the plastic case a few nights ago; only to find out that I simply need to cut a section of the plastic case out to get the hoses onto the radiator port. I cut the bottom brackets and mocked up the fan. The fan still doesn't sit flush against the radiator core because it's 1/8" too wide. Just the way it is. With just the top and bottom brackets installed; the fan is very stiff. I am still going to put the side brackets in to eliminate the possibility of the fan sliding from side to side. I have yet to drill the side bracket holes; but I will do that over the weekend, maybe.

Pic

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1288729

Comment

I got the e-fan mounted semi-permanently. I had to do some clearancing (is that a word?) on the plastic casing so the upper and lower radiator hoses will slip onto the ports. Otherwise, the installation is complete. It's very stiff and with the upper fan brackets torqued down; the radiator is planted even more than it was.

Since the sun was still up when I finished; I took the trans cooler out to see where I wanted to mount it. I have an idea; but I will need some time tomorrow to figure it out.

Also got my Deutsch connector kit today. I failed to check about what kind of crimping tool is needed for them; and as it turns out; they require another tool. So I will be adding yet another tool to the toolbox in the near future. But for now, I am focused on getting the car running. Then I will revisit the wiring and doing some cleanup there.

Pics

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1288738 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1288739 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1288740 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1288741 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1288742

Comment

Looks like plenty of cooling and air flow capacity.

How long has it been since it ran? Cars that can't drive aren't as fun... I know that too well. But it's glorious when it finally does.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It will be 5 years this July. The car is sitting in the spot where it died. Had I followed my Dad's advice 13 years ago and rebuilt the lopo (or stuck an Explorer engine in there); the car would have been running by now. But I went head first down the spirally steep slope when I chose the F4TE engine over the Explorer engine that was lying right next to it. Then it all went downhill from there. It is what it is. For now; all I can say is that this has been a learning experience. I have learned a lot since I pulled the lopo out of the car; and I am still learning new skills. Just trying to get it like you guys got it.

Comment

Working...
                                X