No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ca. People break into cars to steal what is in the car, and get the registration. The bad guys then break into the owners home. Double whammy. Keep your registration/insurance inside the trunk, maybe in a holder on the trunk lid. If law enforcement wants the reg. tell them that it is in the trunk. You might have to explain why you have it in the trunk but any LE who has any city experience will know.

Comment

I'm not interested in making any more of my vehicle visible to LE than absolutely necessary. Don't have anything to hide, but thats not the point.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I'm not interested in making any more of my vehicle visible to LE than absolutely necessary. Don't have anything to hide, but thats not the point.
        This! Also do keep in mind that many LEOs now carry body cams, so anything the officer misses while interacting with you can later be caught by whoever is analyzing the video - for example a tool you carry for whatever reason to the other person may appear as something else entirely. Which could bring you some more interactions for authorities down the road, and even if all is well and you're in no trouble fact of the matter is you still had to go thru it all, and to most such experience is anything but pleasant.

But I can see not wanting to have personally-identifying paperwork inside the vehicle at all times, that is a valid point. So stick the damn registration and insurance in your wallet or wherever it is that you keep your driver's license, if that gets stolen the basterds aren't learning anything about you than they can read on the license. Which actually brings me to another point, having your address printed on the license is complete bullshit and entirely unnecessary in this day and age - any officer pulling you over will know everything they need to know from the DMV database if they choose to run your license, but a crook does not have access to such resources so they cannot easily cause you any further harm should they find themselves in possession of your license. Same goes for registration paperwork - all it needs to show is the VIN, what period of time it's valid for, and maybe your name, but that's it! No address, no driver's license number, none of that shit - again the police already knows all of this, and whoever is not the police does not need to know it. Luckily some insurance companies have caught onto this and their cards no longer show the address of the policyholder.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          I will work on mounting gauges and also figure out how to get those old batter tray U-nuts off of what's left of the battery tray.
          Cut and grind. If they are rusty they can and likely will strip or shear, then you're in for some real fun.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Dear Panthers,

Ivan wrote (in part). So stick the damn registration and insurance in your wallet or wherever it is that you keep your driver's license, if that gets stolen the basterds aren't learning anything about you than they can read on the license."

Steal a Panther? Maybe hold up a stagecoach too?

Donald

Comment

Drug addicts will steal anything and everything they can even remotely profit from. I've caught a "insert derogatory and politically incorrect term for a person from the hood here" trying to break into my truck thru the slider window, even when there was NOTHING on the seat and the truck was 100% stock including the radio unit. Fuckheads, should be all shot to death on the spot.

Comment

...Gauges tell me what the motor is doing. Can't say I've ever felt the need to watch an ignition module
                Originally posted by packman View Post
                Not watching it if it's inside the glove box minding it's own business. Plus, it's nice and dry in there.
                Haven't had a problem with the Firebird's 6AL box in the engine bay. I've even pressure washed it several times.

Have to hand them over in NJ if I get pulled over, so they basically have to live in the car somewhere. Insurance too.
                Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                This! Also do keep in mind that many LEOs now carry body cams, so anything the officer misses while interacting with you can later be caught by whoever is analyzing the video - for example a tool you carry for whatever reason to the other person may appear as something else entirely. Which could bring you some more interactions for authorities down the road, and even if all is well and you're in no trouble fact of the matter is you still had to go thru it all, and to most such experience is anything but pleasant.

But I can see not wanting to have personally-identifying paperwork inside the vehicle at all times, that is a valid point. So stick the damn registration and insurance in your wallet or wherever it is that you keep your driver's license, if that gets stolen the basterds aren't learning anything about you than they can read on the license. Which actually brings me to another point, having your address printed on the license is complete bullshit and entirely unnecessary in this day and age - any officer pulling you over will know everything they need to know from the DMV database if they choose to run your license, but a crook does not have access to such resources so they cannot easily cause you any further harm should they find themselves in possession of your license. Same goes for registration paperwork - all it needs to show is the VIN, what period of time it's valid for, and maybe your name, but that's it! No address, no driver's license number, none of that shit - again the police already knows all of this, and whoever is not the police does not need to know it. Luckily some insurance companies have caught onto this and their cards no longer show the address of the policyholder.
                Originally posted by dmccaig View Post
                Dear Panthers,

Ivan wrote (in part). So stick the damn registration and insurance in your wallet or wherever it is that you keep your driver's license, if that gets stolen the basterds aren't learning anything about you than they can read on the license."
                Steal a Panther? Maybe hold up a stagecoach too?

Donald
                Agreed, this is how I roll. Those damn pesky governmental thugs with guns and cameras. "Anything you say can and will be used against you."
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I keep the papers in my wallet. No identifiable info in my car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Meh. I've lived in Chicago since I was born (couple of years away)

Always kept my registration in my glove box. I've had cars broken into, but I mean the cars in front of my house, so it's not hard to find me... Or the 10 gauge that'd be waiting. Lol

George
                    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

I always thought if someone stole a car and they got pulled over before I reported it stolen, why would I want them to have the paperwork for the car? I have had three cars stolen from me BTW.
                      I make copies of the reg and ins card so my wife and I both have a set in our wallets.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I everyone can agree to never have the title in the car.
                        I know in Ca. It is a quite the game to break in cars one day. The next cruise by the house, if the car is not there, break into the house. Most of use don't have to worry about that crap. Just a word of caution.

Comment

In Jersey it's license, registration, and insurance. Title stays in a secure place; that you will hopefully remember when it comes time to sell.

With that said; I removed the idler arm this past weekend. Also assembled my alternator. It was a real pain getting it back together. But it turned out alright for a 2-tone alternator.

Comment

Got the idler arm installed yesterday. Looking at the shape of the old one; I wonder what effect the replacement will have on the steering; probably need another alignment.

I set myself up to grind out what's left of the battery tray. Hopefully will be able to do that sometime this week as it's a little slower at work. Then I will install the new battery tray and then the charcoal canister, since it sits right below the battery tray. Then I can start messing with vacuum lines and hoses and begin to wrap this swap up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              In Ca. People break into cars to steal what is in the car, and get the registration. The bad guys then break into the owners home. Double whammy. Keep your registration/insurance inside the trunk, maybe in a holder on the trunk lid. If law enforcement wants the reg. tell them that it is in the trunk. You might have to explain why you have it in the trunk but any LE who has any city experience will know.
                              I keep my insurance and registration in my wallet, since I'm the only person who ever drives my car. That way it's always on me and never left unattended in the vehicle.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X