No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86VickyLX: which part is the resistor? That knub sticking out the center of the blower motor? Hopefully not a difficult job as I am taking 7 mos. longer than I had intended.

Gadget73: Taller engine and taller valve covers :-/ I will probably do this blower motor resistor while I can still fit inside the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
      86VickyLX: which part is the resistor? That knub sticking out the center of the blower motor? Hopefully not a difficult job as I am taking 7 mos. longer than I had intended.
      other side of the evap core below the heater core hoses... hopefully it doesn't look like this one I pulled off the 88 back in the day.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6130-rs.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1282142Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6131-rs.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1282143

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do I have to take the dash down for this? I already made a failed attempt at that when I tried to replace the heater core.

Packman

Comment

No. You get to it from under the hood.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah this guy. This is what we're talking about? I think I might have dragged it when pulling the engine. I disconnected the heater hoses and after it was all said and done, I found this dangling. Dunno where it was originally mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost September 2017 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1282177

Comment

Nope, that's the TBL switch. Blower will still work without it, just not in the floor position. The resistor lives on the passenger side of the firewall, like right behind the rocker cover IIRC. You'll see it if you stick your head back there far enough.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Okay, I will take a closer look. Thanks Derek ^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Comment

just solder the wires together to bypass the TBL and plug the vacuum lines (or figure out which one goes to the vent/recirc door actuator and provide a vacuum source to a switch to that line and then you have manual control of the recirc door)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Or rebuild the bhastard using the guts of a new FMC part inside your old one's body! It's what I did. I've had no trouble with mine after that and the thing works like the factory intended.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Or rebuild the bhastard using the guts of a new FMC part inside your old one's body! It's what I did. I've had no trouble with mine after that and the thing works like the factory intended.
                        Or retrofit EATC and eliminate the need for the silly TBL altogether.

As for the resistor, on the firewall area Derek described is where you want to look.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The real problem with the TBL isn't its loss of functionality, but rather its propensity to explode causing you to lose half your coolant and be stranded at the roadside.

Bypass it, and much more importantly, eliminate it with a hose union that can handle the temperature. Then when it's time to do your heater core hoses, buy the one for the non-ATC car and it's a single piece instead of two.

Current driver: Ranger
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

I installed a new one once. It had a massive vacuum leak right out of the box, so that part had to go away so the AC worked. 3 weeks later it exploded and dumped all of the coolant out of the motor. It went away the rest of the way at that point. Whenever I'm due for a new heater hose, it'll be the one piece one to get rid of the coupler too.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What's the function of the TBL?

Comment

Thermal Blower Lockout, it keeps the blower motor from running on the floor setting until the temperature of the coolant passing through the TBL becomes high enough. On newer models with EATC Ford did away with the TBL. It does not serve a crucial purpose.
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X