No announcement yet.

My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, it's a daily driver. She doesn't put many miles on the car and she avoids driving in bad weather (i.e. snow). The only thing I do during the winter is wash the car every two or three weeks to clean off the salt.

I was thumbing through the thread to find pics of the exhaust install, but I must have lost them in the sauce somehow. I wanted to get pics of the exhaust hangers for the H-pipe. I will have to snap new pics when I get batteries for the camera.

Packman

Comment

love this car, looks just like my old car

1985 Crown Victoria Tudor
      1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
      1996 F250 Power Stroke
      2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

Thief!!! J/K Nice CV!!! If you end up in NJ, don't park too close to my mom, cause she's likely to mistaken your car for hers LOL.

Packman

Comment

Was just looking at this thread to reference some pics, and I gotta say this car is NICE. Kinda forgot how well the wheels and exhaust worked.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Here are a few pics of the rear differential swap and the front end rebuild. I will get part numbers when I get this car rolling. The shot of the front end is what I had on there a couple days ago. I have since replaced the rotors with NAPA stuff until I can get the grease caps to fit. I also just discovered last night that I installed the upper control amrs incorrectly. The shafts need to be rotated 180* to clear the shocks. This project is taking for-f'n-ever

Sorry about the upside down pics; my laptop doesn't have the photo editing software installed.

Packman

Comment

Looking good jake nice freshly painted parts

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I like it. Let us know how the painted rotors hold up. I hate the rust but don't trust high-temp paints. What kind of paint is it?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

DuPont caliper paint on top of POR15. I tried DuPont caliper paint on Eastwood Caliper paint, but it didn't react well to the other stuff and crinkled upon contact. It worked on Putter Project, so I figured it would work here too. I am thinking of making a JY trip tomorrow and get grease caps from whatever boxes are left (hopefully). I will dimple them or whatever to get them to fit the (painted) rotors. If they do have boxes, I will see if I can nab one of the AODs for a rebuild.

Packman

Comment

Performance Suspension Technology

Rear End Control Arm Bushing kit for '92-'97 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis

Speedway Motors

3/8"-24 IFF Tee [fitting] with bracket 910-31837
                    3/8"-24 IFF AN4 male - steel 617-4029
                    AN4 Braided Steel Hose 910-31844
                    Lower Spring Perch for 3" axle tube fits 5" springs 917-20243
                    Eibach Circle Track Springs (rear) 15" 175# 1500.500.0175

Bilstein Rear Shocks 24-014960

Ford Racing 8.8" rear differential Girdle M-4033-G2
                    Ford Racing 3.55 Ring and Pinion M-4209-88355
                    Ford Racing Limited Slip for 8.8" rear diff I don't have a part number because JEGS no longer has the part listed

Energy Suspension poly coil spring isolator 9-6107G for the lower spring perches (3"-5" OD springs)
                    Energy Suspension poly coil spring isolator 9-6101R for the stock rear upper spring perches

I believe this is all that I got for the rear diff except for the NAPA 3/16" brake line.

Packman
                    Last edited by packman; 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Performance Suspension Technology

Front End Control Arm Bushing Set for '92-'97 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis
                      Upper and Lower Ball Joint, Inner and Outer Tie Rods w/ adjusting sleeve for '83-'90 Full Size RWD Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, etc....

Bilstein front shocks 24-014953

Energy Suspension poly tie rod boots 9.13101R (red, round boot for outer tie rod), 9.13102R (red, hexagon boot for inner tie rod)

You can use the regular boots that come with whatever tie rods you get. I had to get two sets of inner tie rods because the PST tie rods wouldn't tap with the grease fittings supplied. So I ended up getting tie rods from NAPA.

Packman

Comment

Took the CV into work today. The ride is noticeably more firm than it was when the rear diff was installed. I guess it's the combination of the stiff Bilsteins and poly bushings. I don't think my mom will mind. The brakes are a little mushy; and that's with nearly everything replaced except a small portion of the rear line. It's probably because of my hack brake line job up front. When I get the car aligned, I'll have them look at the brakes as well. Now I just have to take the rear pass side trailing arm off and turn it 180* so I can get the PI swaybar installed. It's nice to hear nothing but exahsut leaks when I hit a pothole or rough pavement. LOL The old suspension rattled because of dead tie rods (one lost its boot) and stripped shock mounts on the lower control arm. When I installed the front shocks, I used a 3/8" drive ratchet because I would have a hard time over-torquing the bolts to the lower control arm. The second owner confessed to me that he stripped the old control arms because he used a 1/2" air impact (seriously 1/2" for small bolts?). He also was the one who stripped the front oil pan drain plug with the same impact.

Next weekend, I will clean the trunk pan and POR15 it again as there is a couple spots that are rusting. I will also attend to the exhaust leak, since my father refuses to drive in that car with the cut-outs open or with anything louder than stock.

Packman

Comment

Does he have autism or something? Never heard anyone actually refuse to ride in a loud car unless they have a neural disorder.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I can only stand epic drone for so long.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

He never really liked it. He would go so far as to wear ear plugs when we would drive to Englishtown uncapped (my mom likes it like that). Even less tolerant of it after the stroke. It was tolerable when I first installed the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos, but this little hole makes a huge difference.

Packman

Comment

yeah... I had a hole in the housing of my driver side cat (the air injection tube welds broke) and drive two hours out to visit my mom and let my cousin weld it back up. the ride out there was very draining. though my feet were well massaged/vibrated.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X