My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slymer View Post
    yeah... I had a hole in the housing of my driver side cat (the air injection tube welds broke) and drive two hours out to visit my mom and let my cousin weld it back up. the ride out there was very draining. though my feet were well massaged/vibrated.
    ANother reason why my mom loves that car. She suffers from fibermyalgia (spelled wrong I think) and has constant pain in her neck and legs. The car takes that away for a couple days after driving it uncapped. If I am good or lucky, I will have the lopo swapped out for something a little hotter/louder. That's the next project, hopefully spring, or summer by the latest.

Packman

Comment

When my air tube broke off, it just had a loud tick when you got on the gas hard, sounded like my truck with it's bad exhaust manifold leak.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I think my father could deal with that ticking. This is just a louder baritone with a little puffing at idle. Drives him nuts. When I get this car back from the mechanic, I will address the problem. Or drive her car to work at let her drive my truck on days when he has doctor's appointments and such. He also gets in the mindset that when she's driving the car, she's driving a little too brisk; even though she's not. When she's in the Ranger, he's quiet; even though the driving is no different. Another discussion I will have to have with him before he drives my mom crazy; or before she hurts him.

Packman

Comment

Installed the headlight harness that was supposed to go into Putter Project. I will get pics at a later date. The headlight harness is LMC part# 36-3581. It's intended for a quad headlight upgrade for Chevy trucks, but works perfectly for the CV. No issues so far. I now know that the passenger low beam light is weak as it shines a bit less brightly than the driver's side (which I changed 4 years ago).

Packman

Comment

I have the same issue with my 88, but the passenger side is bright enough still for me to not care.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yah, it's pretty much going to stay that way until it goes out all together. I am going to focus on getting the 3G swap done and possibly swap in the electric fan as well. I am almost ready for the engine swap, so I gotta start hunting down places that I can do this work. I might just start asking the local auto parts stores if they know somebody with extra shop space. Currently still working on a solution for the TV cable mount and working out how to convert to mass air (this will be my first time).

Packman

Comment

3G yo!!!

Packman

Comment

Yo Yo!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just a suggestion, ditch the old charge wires. You should be able to disconnect them at the starter relay, but at a minimum I'd chop them at the connector on the fender and pull them out from the harness heading to the alternator. Too easy for the tape to rub through and cause a short or something.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice! Did you have to do any chopping of anything to make it fit? (I've read on here there was something that needed to be grinded down I think...)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

When I did the 3G on my '83 I had to take a drill bit to one of the bolt holes because the bolt was a little too thick and drill an extra 1/32 inch out. Other than that, it dropped right in.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Just a suggestion, ditch the old charge wires. You should be able to disconnect them at the starter relay, but at a minimum I'd chop them at the connector on the fender and pull them out from the harness heading to the alternator. Too easy for the tape to rub through and cause a short or something.
                          I disconnected it at the fender relay and moved it over to the headlight area. I then zip tied it to a set of wires and duct taped the terminal end. When the engine is removed, I will peel of the remaining electrical tape off of the original harness and delete the old charge wires.

Originally posted by slack View Post
                          Nice! Did you have to do any chopping of anything to make it fit? (I've read on here there was something that needed to be grinded down I think...)
                          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...588#post733588

I have a large case 3G, so I had to grind the alt bracket as pictured in the above thread. Also, I have to grind the bottom of the slot for the alternator adjusting bracket to line the bolt up with the top alt mount.

Comment

If your nervous about grinding on your car , don't be. I'm a relative novice and had no problems.
                            Don't forget your glasses! It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun you can't see.
                            1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
                            1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

The alt bracket pictured in the 3G thread is the one that I'm using for the 351W. I was going to use it, until I discovered that I couldn't remove the power steering pump without the required press. I ended up grinding the alt bracket that's on the lopo.

Packman

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was that much grinding just curious for possible future endeavors.

Originally posted by packman View Post
                                Next weekend, I will clean the trunk pan and POR15 it again as there is a couple spots that are rusting.
                                Sorry to zombie thread this post. I picked up some POR15 too and from the label it seems like it's some heinous stuff. Did you wear any special equipment when you used it? I have a respirator I use when I use the air brush. Do you think that's enough? I was also thinking about doing the inside of my trunk as I don't have any carpet as well as the frame rails. How long does the smell fill up the car? I've read that a foam brush is the way to go, do you agree?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X