• Show
Clear All

Anyone done a swap to ATC?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
      Most of my non-automatic temp control is new but it has failed. The blower motor sometimes roars on high (without heat), sometimes no roar (no heat), sometimes the controls work perfectly. It may work better when I first turn it on. The longer I drive the more likely it is to fail. I am also getting a check engine light intermittently.

Some heat drifts out of the vents but no push behind the hot air.

Took it to my local mchanic and he could not get it to fail. He jiggled the wires, poked and prodded but the blower worked just fine pumping out, he said, air at 141 degrees. He also fixed a vacuum line that had come loose.

I pick up the car and everything's working fine. Warm as toast. I do a little shopping and start home. No blower and the check engine light comes on. Any ideas?

Donald McCaig

Comment

hm, that doesn't really make any sense. The blower electrical circuit isn't connected into the ECM in any way, so I don't see why that should happen. There is some vacuum plumbing in the climate control, but on a non-atc car, none of it affects the blower speed. It will mess with the door positions, but it won't mess with the actual heat output. Thats controlled by a cable directly connected to the blend door.

there is a thermal limiter built into the fan resistor that will shut it down if the blower motor is pulling too much current. Perhaps the fan motor is dying? Still no idea why that should trip a check engine light though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You could always replace the ATC with manual controls.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec View Post
            Most of my non-automatic temp control is new but it has failed.
            Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            You could always replace the ATC with manual controls.
            *cough*
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
              It's a new blower motor. If the check engine light is just a coincidence, what's the next best guess. I've a new blower switch. Might that help? Donald

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                *cough*

Comment

donald, have the connections at the blower motor resistor checked.......the original plug was crispy and i was unable to find a plug that wasnt crispy, so i used some spade terminals.......i suspect the switch has failed since it's orig, but if not one of those wires on the blower motor resistor block might have come off.........you got the new switch i had sent out? also having a new blower motor resistor and a pack of windshield clips sent to you......keep me updated, kinda aggravating, had it working decent here when it left.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

hey scott, not sure if you saw it but rockauto has those blower resistor plug pigtails available. might be worth looking into. napa might be able to get them too.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                      More news on my heater. Talked with the mechanic today and he said everything works but the heater box itself is so corroded that the heat goes everywhere. I told him to aluminum foil and duct tape the box and I''ll take the car to Texas. When I get home I'll change out blower, switch, box, pigtail/resistor.

Happy New Year
                      Donald McCaig

Comment

Heater box is corroded? They're mostly plastic ... I wonder where the corrosion is, exactly.

Comment

the only thing thats metal in there is the mounting plate for the heater motor itself. The rest of the mess is plastic. Pretty sure the doors inside are plastic too.

Comment

The doors on mine are definitely plastic, with metal levers to the temp blend cable and vacuum motors.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I need a little help with the AC side however. First, when I switch to AC if the outside air temp is above about 60 the system blasts me with HOT air. If the outdoor temp is below 45 it feels like its blowing in air from outside. I think I likely need some R12 but what else do I need? It seems to be the controls are a bit screwy. Also, last summer even with the controls all moved to cold or off I always had a hot draft at my feet. BTW, this is an ATC car, 1989.

Thanks all

Curley
                              1989 Crown Victoria LX 5.0. 110000 miles.

Comment

Ah, ATC blues. Glad I've never had to deal with that ...... Gadget actually posted a tech thread that may help .... looks like you found it, so hopefully you'll be on your way soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X