PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate control problems? Read This!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiVin3 View Post
    How do you get the atc sensor out
    remove the upper dash pad. Once thats off, the sensor is located above the glovebox, and has 2 or 3 screws holding it in.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Two 7/32 bolts iirc. Not a nice location to reach.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    On the ATC system, it is done with a vacuum motor.

Except the 92 CV and MGM in which case it is controlled by a 12 volt motor attached to the ELECTRONIC blend door actuator

shown below

apparently the 91 is also like this. The vacuum stuff applies primarily to boxes. I don't know the mysteries of the roundy car climate control disaster, other than I want no parts of it.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

'85 Merc Colony Park

thanks for this!
    i went to test the TBL and realized the connector in the heater hose was broken, so was leaking coolant! clipped/bypassed the wires, a couple of golf tees in the vac hoses, and removed the broken piece of the t-connector and re-connected the heater hose.

when it warms up around here i'll probably pull the whole TBL and just get a coupling for the heater hose.

this forum is awesome.

Fan motor does not work in floor position
    Another ATC bug. The thermal blower lockout switch has probably failed. This is the sensor looking thing in one of the heater hoses under the hood. It will have 2 vacuum lines and 2 wires hooked to it. The purpose of this device is to keep the fan from running when the engine coolant is under 120 degrees. To diagnose this, simply unplug the electrical connector and jumper the two wires. To resolve it, either replace the TBL, or simply bypass it. If removing it, the vacuum lines must be sealed off. Do not connect them together.

Angry

Issue with with My defrost.. My Defrost doesn't work, When I switch it to defrost it just keeps blowing out of the vents.. Thanks mangs..BTW Thanks for the thread gadget I can finally fix my "Floor" too

Lightbulb

BTW before anybody links me to this thread I posted this cus I read the whole thread and couldnt find anything on just Defrost fuck ups..

does it shift to floor when you set it there? if the air doesn't really shift at all and sort of comes out of everyplace all the time, most likely its a problem with the air doors in the plenum. When my car did this, both doors in the plenum had broken at the hinges, causing the doors to just flop around in there uselessly.

Unhappy

It shifts to floor when I put it there but nothing comes out..(Kinda just shuts off) But thats the least of my worries I kinda need my Defrost Haha.. When I put it on defrost and put it on high it blows hardbut it trickels out of the defrost vent an the most of it is coming out of the regular dash vents

Graham: Your source for car repair and smartassery. 91waggin's Avatar

How do you know it's shifting to floor if you don't get anything? I think your first step is to fix the business with the defrost, because the diverter door hinges are probably FUBAR. Once you fix the hinges in those doors, you may get a better idea about what's going on.
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Lightbulb

Allrite will do.. Now, how do I get there?? Haha

Bypass the TBL. Jump the two electrical wires together and the floor position ought to work. If you want to elimiate it entirely, unplug the vacuum lines and seal them up too. A squeeze of RTV to block them up should do the job nicely. Just let it cure before you start the motor.

So where is this thermal blower lockout switch. I don't have the floor so i would like to replace it.

Thanks
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
    2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
    1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

under the hood near the map sensor. Looks like a coolant flush tee bit with some vacuum lines and electrical hookups. Just trace back the heater hoses out of the firewall and you should find it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

thank you! ill go look for it today
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
    2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
    1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

i have a problem with my heater - when the car stands with the engine running - the heater works fine, but when i driving at 40 mph or faster it becames coldy. any thoughts?

the check valve under the hood just about dead center on the firewall that has one line going to the soup can and the other going through the firewall. That's probably in need of replacing. The vent system is loosing vacuum and it defaults to cold in the older cars. It should have one hose coming from the vacuum tree (plastic tube with a lot of lines coming from it) and two lines coming out the other end. Also, check the "soup can" on the driver side to see if it holds vacuum. If it has holes in it, it will cause the same issue. Also check for broken vacuum lines in all of this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Going cold isn't a vacuum leak. Sounds like you may need to replace the thermostat in the engine. If it is stuck open, the car will over-cool when driving.

the thermostat is new. the previous has the same symptoms

Do you have a temperature gauge in the car? What does it read? Is the coolant level low? Air in the system might cause this problem. Is it an automatic climate control car? Sometimes when the sensors fail, it can cause no/poor heat. Automatic climate control says so on the control unit, and it has temperature numbers on the scale. Non-automatic simply says "cool" and "warm".

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast