Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had t-stats bad 'out of the box'. You might want to check it.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Do you have a temperature gauge in the car? What does it read? Is the coolant level low? Air in the system might cause this problem. Is it an automatic climate control car? Sometimes when the sensors fail, it can cause no/poor heat. Automatic climate control says so on the control unit, and it has temperature numbers on the scale. Non-automatic simply says "cool" and "warm".
      coolant level is ok. there is not a temp gauge now in my car, but last autumn it was overheated in traffic jam. but the problem comes earlier. the climate is automatic
      '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

coldy! bah... totally misread that. for automatic temperature control cars (boxes at least), if the wire breaks in the ambient temp sensor it will pull vacuum on the blend door and default cold. But if you get heat under good vacuum and loose it under load on the road, there may be junk floating around in your coolant system. If it clogs the heater core, but then gets a little more pressure and pushes it through... that could cause the problem. Also, air pockets in the coolant (not purged all the way) could also do that. This shouldn't be a problem after a few temp cycles though since the system is supposed to purge itself. The only thing I can think of is the thermostat getting stuck open and then slapping shut after getting cold. And yes... thermostats can go bad quick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

open the glovebox and pull the clear vacuum line off of the gold colored can. That should force it to full hot. If it does not get hot, then you have different problems.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

trying to make conversion from auto to manual climate control. and have some questions about this. anyone did this? there is no questions about the conversion exept one.
            is anybody has heater vacuum diagrams? need both - for automatic and manual cars.
            thanks to all
            '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

trying to make conversion from auto to manual climate control. and have some questions about this. anyone did this? there is no questions about the conversion exept one.
              is anybody has heater vacuum diagrams? need both - for automatic and manual cars.
              thanks to all
              '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

90,91 mgm

Is the ATC temp sensor actually located in the dash just above the controls? It looks different than the one you post pictures of.

Comment

91 and maybe the 90 have an electronic climate control system that uses different stuff. Instead of the blue vacuum thing, they have something with 2 wires and the crinkle hose. Those have distinctly different problems, mostly stemming from an electronic blend door actuator that fails and causes the system to do stupid things.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, guys, but my car is not '90 or '91
                    it's a '85 colony park
                    '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

yeah, but someone else asked about a 90-91 model

Comment

ok. sorry. i haven't seen
                        '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

ATC to manual conversion

I've done this twice. Once on an 87 Colony Park and an 86 Colony Park. It is a pain in the ass to try wedge fat hands and fingers behind the dash.

Comment

Mine gave out blowing heat unless the outside temp was wicked cold (subzero F) so what I ended up having to do was unplug the big vacuum line from the temp blend door control motor and plug it with a pen (to prevent vacuum loss) when I wanted heat...so now I haz lots of heat or none at all. Kind of a PITA having to reach in behind the golve locker and pull the line and plug it or connect it depending on what I want the HVAC to do for me. Alas, it works. I'll have to get a sensor and get it fixed I guess...any suggestions on where to get one?
                            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              91 and maybe the 90 have an electronic climate control system that uses different stuff. Instead of the blue vacuum thing, they have something with 2 wires and the crinkle hose. Those have distinctly different problems, mostly stemming from an electronic blend door actuator that fails and causes the system to do stupid things.
                              Would those "stupid things" include making a repetetive "thunking" noise while moving the levers from off to vent to defrost? If so, what can I do to fix that? (By the way, it's not constant and may do it on vent one time, not on floor, then on defrost one day and not the next.) Weird.
                              1991 Grand Marquis LS.
                              2001 Mustang Bullitt (bought new)

Comment

I am going to convert mine to manual control, I know it must be possible.
                                1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0

Comment

Working...
                                X