Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you have an auto setting on the fan switch? if not, your high IS auto. If you have an auto setting, that should be below Low. I don't remember what year they changed that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes I do:
      The fan switch is as follows:
      1.Auto
      2.Low
      3.Med
      4.High

Bottom to top.

Comment

then something is wonky yet. The next question is whether or not it's actually blowing less or being redirected to the defrost or floor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

What happens is the fan speed slows down, then maybe one minute later resumes on high.......all the while air coming out of the dash panel vents, not on the floor.
          Originally posted by sly View Post
          then something is wonky yet. The next question is whether or not it's actually blowing less or being redirected to the defrost or floor.

Comment

does it actually slow down, or just get less noisy? If the fresh air / recirc door closes, it gets quieter but doesn't move significantly less air. That will also happen as it gets close to the selected temperature.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Kinda sounds like normal operation to find the set temp.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yes, it actually SLOWS down!.........then, as I said out of the blue, maybe 30 seconds to one minute, it again blows at the high speed.
                All the while out of the dash panel vents.

Comment

Is it set to "vent"? Is the proper temp being produced?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Bob, it is set on panel, and the slider is set to 60 degrees.
                    Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    Is it set to "vent"? Is the proper temp being produced?

Comment

Exactly where mine is set, on both accounts. Seems to be coming out of the proper place, at least. The fan speeds will change as the temp does so not sure where the problem is??

Comment

next time it does it... let off the gas and see if it comes back at that moment. If it doesn't come back in short order, then there's definitely an issue with the blower or the wiring going to it. If it does come back immediately, then it's a vacuum issue and there's still a leak somewhere.

Comment

Sly, as I mentioned it slows down regardless of the throttle position! Then is comes back full on in half to one minute. I would assume 30 seconds to maybe one minute would be considered short order? Brand new FoMoCo blower motor and resistor. I know I wasted my money because I had the same issues before I put in the new blower motor and resistor:-( So maybe it it the position of the slide switch after all??
                          next time it does it... let off the gas and see if it comes back at that moment. If it doesn't come back in short order, then there's definitely an issue with the blower or the wiring going to it. If it does come back immediately, then it's a vacuum issue and there's still a leak somewhere.

Comment

short order would be 3-5 seconds. Yeah, you probably have an electrical issue. Check the wiring harness to the resistor pack (just down and to the right of the heater core hoses under the hood). Mine went nuclear when I had problems with my fan speeds. Be careful how you pull the harness as those clips can be brittle. I generally use a large flat screwdriver to push the clip off instead of prying it up and over. If everything is still good in those clips and nothing is brown, put some dielectric grease on the female ends and shove it all back together. Do the same with the harness on the blower motor itself. The next check would be the wiring to the climate controls and fan switch. See the attached pics for what mine looked like before replacing both the resistor pack and the harness.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sly, everything looks good, no issues! Blower harness is good as well. Why don't you think it could be a slider ATC thermostat issue?
                              short order would be 3-5 seconds. Yeah, you probably have an electrical issue. Check the wiring harness to the resistor pack (just down and to the right of the heater core hoses under the hood). Mine went nuclear when I had problems with my fan speeds. Be careful how you pull the harness as those clips can be brittle. I generally use a large flat screwdriver to push the clip off instead of prying it up and over. If everything is still good in those clips and nothing is brown, put some dielectric grease on the female ends and shove it all back together. Do the same with the harness on the blower motor itself. The next check would be the wiring to the climate controls and fan switch. See the attached pics for what mine looked like before replacing both the resistor pack and the harness.

Comment

Unlikely. If you aren't using the "auto" position, then nothing in the temperature selection rig has anything to do with fan speed. That stuff only functions when its set to auto. High speed is high speed until the cows come home, or the blower quits. If you haven't, I'd probably unplug and re-connect the blower and the resistor. Inspect the connections while its open. Any green cheese needs to be removed, and I'd put some dielectric grease in the connectors for good measure.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X