Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you mean to tell me that when I have blower on high switch position (not on auto) and the temp slide all the way to the extreme left blue, which is 60 degrees, it will continue to blow on high no matter what the temp inside the car is?

Comment

Unless I am misinformed - CORRECTAMUNDO!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If that be true, how does one control the cabin temp?
        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Unless I am misinformed - CORRECTAMUNDO!!!

Comment

Depending upon what temp you are comfortable with, use the temp slider or manual fan speed.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

So, let my brain take this in.......with the fan on high and the temp slider on 65, the fan speed should never slow down on its own, and if it does I have a problem electrically?...........and, if it's in the auto position with slider on 65 it will slow down when interior temp gets near 65?
            Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            Depending upon what temp you are comfortable with, use the temp slider or manual fan speed.

Comment

Correct. If there is a change in speed, it may not be an electrical issue but probably would be. If you want constant speed, don't choose Auto. It would just be doing what it is designed to do.

Comment

Exactly correct. Auto means auto. Lo/med/hi is the manual speed control. It stays at the speed you select as long as something isn't broken.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Now the test begins!
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Exactly correct. Auto means auto. Lo/med/hi is the manual speed control. It stays at the speed you select as long as something isn't broken.

Comment

Took the blower motor harness apart, it was super clean, as was the resister harness.

Comment

Toploader,

Looking at the EVTSM. The blower motor is connected to the positive side at all times when system is on. The negative side is connected at all times through the resistor to ground to run low. This is why yours will run in low during this problem. To run in high the negative side needs to be grounded directly. This takes the blower resistor out of the picture for your problem. There has to be a bad connection between ground and the blower motor. This can be a bad wire or bad contacts in the high setting on your switch. You should be able to reproduce the low fan speed by shaking wires or fiddling with the selector.

Hope this helps, Larry
                      sigpic
                      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Larry, Looks like it is the switch!......even in manual with high fan speed, it slows down to low, and then goes back up to high.
                        Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                        Toploader,

Looking at the EVTSM. The blower motor is connected to the positive side at all times when system is on. The negative side is connected at all times through the resistor to ground to run low. This is why yours will run in low during this problem. To run in high the negative side needs to be grounded directly. This takes the blower resistor out of the picture for your problem. There has to be a bad connection between ground and the blower motor. This can be a bad wire or bad contacts in the high setting on your switch. You should be able to reproduce the low fan speed by shaking wires or fiddling with the selector.

Hope this helps, Larry

Comment

so it would seem i've got airflow thru the dash vents, regardless of lever position (floor, mix, defrost). what is likely the cause, vacuum problem or broken door? the bizarre issue is that when temps get cold outside, the windshield fogs up terribly and the system seems to make it worse, no matter the setting. i'm thinking maybe because it isn't getting full power up thru defrost?

fan, temp, seems to work fine. '85 CP w/ ATC (though I just use in manual mode).

Comment

check the vacuum connections behind the controls. Make sure things aren't loose. (you can see most of it from under the dash behind the ash tray)

Inless a previous owner plumbed vac directly to the full panel and then to the blend door... I don't see why this would actually happen unless the vent lever is broken or the vent control switch box (that the lever attaches to, called blend door lever on parts sites - Motorcraft part YH380 - it works for the ATC in our cars and I'll verify this when I get home as I have a spare one) is broken.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If its not going to hot air, its probably not a loss of vacuum. Not shifting is usually caused by broken air doors. At least thats what its been in the others that have had this issue. All of the hinges in mine were broken off. The actuators all moved, but the doors flopped around and basically did nothing. its a crap fix, you have to pull the plenum out, take it apart, and rebuild the doors with new hinges. As far as I know, you can't get the original parts, so it ends up being a rebuild using small metal hinges from the hardware store. Its a bit annoying, but it works pretty well once its all said and done.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pulled the glove box and the control unit loose and everything looks fine and connected... ??

was wondering if the vacuum was too weak (not much from the 'primary' black tube when i pulled the white bundle connector), but then it seems everything i've read says it should default to defrost w/ loss of vacuum?

temp goes to hot or cold just fine and fan works in all positions: just the vent is always blowing regardless. defrost "kinda" works, and floor "kinda" works (vent blows for both). both will shut off when the other is selected. basically vent is always on, so majority of air goes there instead of floor or defrost.

Comment

Working...
                                X