"electric choke" 3 water temp sensors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"electric choke" 3 water temp sensors.

I have an 82 County squire with a 302 2bl carb. I am TIRED of looking at that red wire that goes to the side of the "electric choke" choke. I want to take it off. I live in Florida and all of the past cars I have owned were equiped with choke deleted holleys. I have been driving around with it unplugged and it run just fine....... Do you guys advise me cutting that wire out? im worried it will cause the choke to stay in choke mode or something. I dont care if the choke doesnt enable.

Also, why are there 3 water temp sensors in my intake manifold. Are they related to the choke? I installed my own water temp gauge with its own connection to the block. Do you guys think it will be ok for me to unplug and remove those water temp sensors and all their wires??? I want to remove the wires and replace the sensors and plug them to clean up the engine bay.
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Unhooking the wire will make the choke never open properly. It powers a heater, which causes the spring to open up after it warms up.

temp sensors are probably vacuum switches for the smog controls. one will be for the idiot light, anything else is either a temperature controlled vacuum switch, or something for the MCU's smog controls. I wouldn't go randomly ripping things out unless you're certain what its for.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, something's messed up with the choke, if there ain't no power to the coil it shouldn't open at all - you say it runs fine, have you floored the car recently? If choke ain't all open it should stumble and buck and run real shitty.

Comment

Im gona remove the choke and all of its components. Will the carb still work fine?
        sigpic

Comment

Is it a VV carb? It's gotta be, considering you got a 302 and not a 351 engine - just be carefulk what you remove, you wanna take off the choke only and not any of wiring for the rest of the carb. And yes, it should work fine, during summer I start my truck with the choke only partially closed anyways, so you being in FL shouldn't really have much trouble with going with no choke. Just watch out for the small screws that hold the choke flapper to the shaft, you don't wanna drop them down the intake

Comment

Not sure how you're going to take the choke off a VV carb seeing as how it doesn't have one...

It has a cold enrichment system, which is basically just a metering rod in a jet in the fuel bowl that opens up when the engine is cold. Basically does the same thing (enriching the mixture), it just works the problem from the other end, as it were. If you want to run without it (which I don't really recommend) you'll have to disable it, since removing it entirely would actually have the opposite effect--you'd run in enriched mode constantly.

Incidentally, can I ask why one silly little wire going to the carburetor bothers you so much, when you've got other wires running all over the place (including a big fat connector going into the passenger side of the carburetor)?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

because it something stupid that ford did. I cant stand it. I have never run a choke to keep things clean, and im not about to run one now with a big ugly red wire. Im an ex-chevy guy. Im used to simplicity ie: internal regulator, starter solenoid, ignition control, and coil. Ford already does stupid crap with their external this and external that. The damn engine bay already looks like a wiring nightmare. Im getting everything ready for an intake and carb swap. Im cleaning things up now. Its a Motorcraft 2bbl. It looks (its not) like a Holley 2bbl. The choke components look easy to remove. It has a butterfly over the bores. I figuered that it only closed the butter fly and stepped up the ide. I dont think its the vv "erichment" type. How can I tell. If it is the VV type I will hold off then.
              sigpic

Comment

Does it look like this? Disregard the red circled part, that was for something else.
                Attached Files

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                  because it something stupid that ford did. I cant stand it. I have never run a choke to keep things clean, and im not about to run one now with a big ugly red wire. Im an ex-chevy guy. Im used to simplicity ie: internal regulator, starter solenoid, ignition control, and coil. Ford already does stupid crap with their external this and external that. The damn engine bay already looks like a wiring nightmare.
                  Uhm, yeah, a late-'80s SBC with a Q-jet and all related emissions bull can get just as bad as your Ford, if not worse - ever had the joy of adjusting base timing on an engine sporting some 5" tall valve covers? If you want clean looks you gotta lose all the emissions stuff first, then sort out the leftover wiring, and only in the end worry about how yer carb looks like.

Comment

Well said MLSC

Comment

OMG I hate 80's Q-jets. Hey thanks for the picture. No, It does not look like that. It looks like a regular 2bbl carb almost like a holley. It has the usual choke buterfly on top with the accelorator pump in the front not on top. Even though I said all that stuff about FORD. I still love this thing. I just want to clean her up. Oh, yeah 80's chevy CRAP pissed me off too. thats why Im a ford man. But now is fords electrical stuff that buggs me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well if it's a regular 2bbl then yes, you have a choke. And if you think you can get it to start reliably without a choke on it, then by all means, go ahead. I'd just recommend keeping the extra parts on hand...

Comment

ok
                          sigpic

Comment

aight, so if no VV carb go crazey with wire removal - rip out the emissions bull too, that's what makes the engine look like shit most

Comment

done
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X