6.5" Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The stock radios are known to die like that with age. The capacitors dry up and the tuner quits working. Does the tape deck work? Usually that functions even when the radio has pooped out. If the tape deck works, you can rule out amplifier and speaker issues. Probably a replacement one from the junkyard will fix you up.
    Tape deck "kinda" works.....See post # 24
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Maybe try a junkyard replacement like Gadget said, that's what I'm planning to do for my friend. You just need the tools (for those holes) to pop the radio out nice and easy right? Her tape works here and there but the radio is gone.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Does anyone by chance have a pic of the stock stereo? The pic fordktpjoe posted of the premium sound system isn't what my old Vic had so I was wondering if I had stock or possibly something aftermarket, because it looked pretty nice for an 88 stereo.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I'm glad you brought that up 88Vic, because I was kinda wondering if a stereo from another Ford vehicle would work in my car? I mean it doesn't have to look like the one I have, just fit in the same hole, and WORK fer cryin' out loud!

But I am kinda hesitant to try because of the amp.
          People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

An early to mid-90's Taurus/Sable has a stereo with four holes like yours so they look like they mount the same way, but the plugs could be different. Also, I don't know if non-premium sound stereo would work in your car. The Mark VII and probably Town Car in the same year as your car should have the same premium sound stereo, so those are a few cars you could check at the yard.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
              I'm glad you brought that up 88Vic, because I was kinda wondering if a stereo from another Ford vehicle would work in my car? I mean it doesn't have to look like the one I have, just fit in the same hole, and WORK fer cryin' out loud!

But I am kinda hesitant to try because of the amp.
              If it does have an external amplifier, it should be easy to eliminate it and just run a regular head unit. I got a working tape deck unit from a junkyard once for $15.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X