No announcement yet.

6.5" Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Dual brand still any good? I'm familiar with the name from their old mid-priced turntables made by United Audio.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Dual is a low-priced enty-level item. A bottom feeder, if you will. Isn't this a name Sony used in car audio? I don't believe they are the same. It's weird that someone else would pick up the name so soon, though.

Focal FTW. The only thing I thought about swapping my Boston Acoustics Proseries for. This was in the early/mid nineties, however.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover
        Dual is a low-priced enty-level item. A bottom feeder, if you will.
        Is that what Dual has been reduced to? Sad, it used to be good stuff.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

my illuminites that are lit up door speakers are Dual speakers. sound better than the audiobahns i had. i have 6x9s and the 6.5s in my car that all light up
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Insignia stuff is generally crap, however they screwed up and produced one really decent home speaker. It was sold for a long while for 40 bucks till people realized it was decent, I think its up to like 80 bucks now. Its a little thing, 5.25" woofer with a coaxial tweeter in a smallish but very solid cabinet. Sounds damn good for what it is. I have a set in my workshop. The bass response out of that little speaker is actually impressive./
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, if you want cheap raw drivers look at. I am thinking about getting two of these 8" woofers for midbass drivers in my LTD and mounting them in the kick panels or rear deck.

Comment

Sheesh...all this talk about changing speakers, adding amps, who's got the better set.....I just wish my stereo worked!

Don't know if it's the stereo, the amp, the antenna, or what. (premium sound system)
                Attached Files
                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Does it at least power up?

Comment

Well, it'll power up, but no sound, except for the occasional pop or click. no static, nothing.
                    hit the "scan" or "seek" buttons, and it just keeps rolling, like it can't pick up anything at all.

I checked, and yes, the antenna is hooked up, and is seated in the socket good...seems like I should at LEAST be getting the steady hiss of static shouldn't I?

I usually just leave it turned off since it doesnt work anyway. But occasionally, when it's really cold outside, I get in and start it up, and the stereo is "magically" on! Not "working" just powered up. wtf?

Just went and tried the tape player...it works....kinda. Sound comes out of the drivers side speakers only. adjust over to pass. side and...silence..front or rear. Really staticky too, and tinny sounding, had to turn treble all the way down, and bass all the way up.

And MAJOR apologies for Whoring/Hijacking someone elses thread!
                    Last edited by fordktpjoe; 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM.
                    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

Comment

My friend has that exact same stereo in her 91 Mark VII LSC and it does the same thing as yours. I replaced a bad antenna motor so I know that's not the cause, and she uses the tape adapter which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I think it's something in the radio itself or perhaps a bad ground.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

yeah, I want an aftermarket CD player, but don't want to hack the dash up (was my grandmothers car), and don't know how to go about wiring it with the factory amp. I am not so good with electronics, and I don't trust the Circuit City or Best Buy folks, anyone had any luck with 'em?

Comment

I'd consider just getting a decent aftermarket CD head unit and installing it in the stock location, and rewiring the speakers so you know you have good connections to stuff. Then you'll have your CD deck, and if you still get weird sounds, you'll know that it's the speakers!

Comment

have you checked the fuses???

You can make your own threads for the subject if you like.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have a Kenwood CD player, and Advance/Wal-Mart sells an adapter for $9.95 that REALLY simplifies the wiring, has a color code an everything, it is made by Scosche.

As for the cd player, my Kenwood had a metal sleeve that was supposed to fit the factory location, but it was like .00000000001 to big, so I removed it, and it works perfect now, even looks factory...Not slicin an dicin here, like 20 minutes total for the wiring...Good luck.
                              sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

The stock radios are known to die like that with age. The capacitors dry up and the tuner quits working. Does the tape deck work? Usually that functions even when the radio has pooped out. If the tape deck works, you can rule out amplifier and speaker issues. Probably a replacement one from the junkyard will fix you up.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X