"bad" to run 5w30???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    No reason to ever run oil that thick.....
    air cooled, they run real hot. 250 degrees or so oil temp is normal for that in the summer. I'd never run that in a water cooled motor, way too thick.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Did he say 5W-50, as in five-dubbya-fifty?
    yeah, castrol syntec blend. Haven't seen it in a long time but I used to be able to get it at Walmart.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well, the morning lifter has become an afternoon lifter... I picked up some lucas after work, lol
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So I went and got my oil changed at wal-mart today and didn't even think to tell them to use 10w-30. They put in Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w-30 instead.

Now, I'm paranoid it's going to damage the engine. Fuck.

What's the worst thing that can happen? My car has 300,000 miles on it, and it used to leak a good amount of oil before I started using 10w-40 for the last year or so.

Should I try to go back tomorrow and see if they'll switch it out?

Comment

I would leave it alone. Your car survived a Walmart oil change. You don't want to get them mad so they really screw up your car. It would be like the cook at the local diner spitting (or worse) in your food because you sent it back.

Comment

Well if its a 4.6 that's the stock oil if its a 5.0 you can leave it or change it. Btw welcome back, nice to see another local mang. Let me know if you need help with your panther.
            Last edited by zoomie; 01-17-2012, 03:46 AM. Reason: doh!
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I'd be worried about many things letting walmart change my oil, but 5w30 castrol won't hurt it. At all.

The increased noise is not new damage, it's old wear/damage not being quieted down by the damping properties of thick oil. Think of it like this:

You fill your sink with water, and clang two dishes together under the water. Repeat with same force in a sink of molasses. Which one made more noise from outside the sink?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Alright, I think I'll leave it be for now. I think it will probably leak a little more as time goes by, and I can replace it with 10w-30 as it does.

It actually doesn't sound bad. That was the OP of this thread with that issue. My car actually sounds a little better. Maybe a little heavier bass sounding, but it idles more smoothly. Previously I had been using some very cheap Cruise Master brand oil that I bought from Family Dollar.
                Last edited by Eric_S; 01-17-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I like 10W-40 myself, but I don't run mine in the cold temps very often anymore. Seems to leak slower than the lighter oils and sounds better after warm up, as well as builds up pressure faster when cold without being too thick and sludgey. I always get the brand name oil like Valvoline or Castrol, I don't trust my Lincoln to glorified Brand X corn oil.
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am running 10W-30 full synthetic in the CV and it has quieted up the motor a little. Also, it seems to have slowed the oil leakage; which I thought would have been a little worse being that it's synthetic oil.

Packman

Comment

Pretty good news. I was able to get a refund for my oil at wal-mart since it isn't the correct type. I went to a different place to get it replaced and since the guy didn't have Castrol I went with Pennzoil 10w-30 high mileage instead. Don't know if I can notice any difference, but I feel better.

Comment

Corn oil? :confused:
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I use Valvoline 10W 40 Max Life, used it for years. The Vic runs good for 256500 miles.
                          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I guess the Lucas did the trick, the 91 is still truckin, waiting for the 85 to die or rust away so she can be the queen. I didn't even remember making this thread, lol
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I don't split hairs when it comes to oil. I use the proper oil, use the proper maintenance and call it good. That typically means a regular brand name 5W-30 changed every 3K for my driving style (5-10 mile trips). Since this car is relegated to winter-only duty, the body will give out long before the engine does. Don't get me wrong, the car is still in good shape - unhit and no rust perforation.

Comment

I run 10W-30 fully synthetic or 5W-30 high mileage in winter (whichever has a better deal at the parts store) and 5W-30 fully synthetic in summer. Never had a problem, even in my beat 205k mile truck.
                                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                                X