Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{DRIVETRAIN}Rear end build up! NEED TO KNOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{DRIVETRAIN}Rear end build up! NEED TO KNOW?

Hey what’s up? Now that I've tweaked my transmission and it's working perfect now, I'm going to build up my rear end on my Sleepin' Beast (this is the name I've given my car).

I have a PI rear end out of an 84 PI Vic w/ 3.01 or 3.06... whatever..ratio. So I already have the larger drums. I am going to change over to 3.55 ratio, and a traction lock housing too. I would like but am not sure if I'm going to or not, get a rear end with disc brakes.

Needed Info:
    I'm pretty sure it's 31, but just to make sure is the spline count 31 or 28?

I'm going to put Line-lock on the rear brakes (I'm sick of warping my drums every time I do a burnout ) would a Ford traction lock work for me, or do I need a beefier brand version to waste both tires?

What year Vic am I searching for to get the disc brake rear end? And how much trouble would it be to install this sucker anyways?

Thanks for any help!

Howdy stranger!

alright, lets start from the top

1. PI rears, if they came out of a 351 car, are 2.73 locked. 302 cars, 3.08s or 3.27....

2. 28 spline.

3. Line lock is for the front tires, so you can hold the front brakes and not the rears to do a smokey burnout, lol.... And the PI rear may have a locker.

4. Hopefully scott or eric will show up here soon, they did the resar disc swap. I belive you need 92-up rear parts...

Hope this helps!

Tom
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Nice car. Does yours still have AC? Usually with the HO swap, the intake is put on backwards to clear the AC plumbing and to retail the orig engine wiring harness. My HO also doesn't have the angled intake part either.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, my rear is out of a Police 351W, but for whatever reason it doesn’t have lock, that I can assure you. And when I switched the rear ends I had the 3.08 around so I used that.

I'll be putting the line lock on the rear brake lines, so that when engaged I can press the brake and it only works the front ones. I wouldn't for any reason want my front brakes to be disabled. And if it were on the front brake line then it could (theoretically) become engaged and disable my front brakes, which would not be cool.

I have my AC still on there; it was never even disconnected during the whole engine swap. The fact that my intake has that curved part is because the motor I have was intended for a 94-95 Mustang GT. You can find some on CarDomain, but I've yet to see one in person that has the 5.0L like mine. Though this motor was never in a car before mine. If it weren't for that curved part, it would be reversed around, but I can't turn it around with the curve. The AC is right in the way; it probably is taking a good piece of HP by means of intake restriction. I hope to work on that too, but beggars can't be choosy.

Comment

Oh by the way...when does my "n00b" thingy go away? lol

Comment

I can make it go away. What do you want it to say?

The easiest way is to ask me to change it, or post some more!

Also, you want a line lock on the FRONT brakes. If it is on the rear brakes, it will lock the rear brakes, defeating the purpose! lol

Comment

A Line-lock blocks the brake pressure that goes through it when it is engaged. So if I install them on the front lines when it is engaged and I press my brakes all of my braking pressure will go to the rear brakes.

Hmm, hadn't really thought about what I want it to say lol.....
              How about "Sleepin' Beast"
              I appreciate it much. I'll be posting much more now that college is almost over this semester. YAY!!

Comment

No dude...you install it on front lines.

Apply brakes. Apply line lock. let off brakes.

The front brakes are now locked! This is how the strip guys do it... :headbang:

Step on brakes again. Didengaged, now you have 4 wheel braking again....

Not trying to be argumentive, just trying to steer you in the right direction....

Comment

Oh I understand what you are saying. And I know you're not trying to be argument or anything. I just want it to work the other way. Almost 70% of our braking force is applied by the front brakes, so I didn't want to put anything there that could in any way block my front brakes. Especially since this car is 100% of my transportation.

When you apply the line lock, you have to hold the line lock on while you want it to hold the brakes right? The brake then lock method I'll admit is the way other people do it. I don't see any technical reasons why it won't work the other way either though. If there is I'd sure be interested to know.

The other small part of the reason why I want to do the line lock backwards is for show purposes. I was planning after I get my rear all worked up to do a little tire wasting on camera and I want to be able to apply and un-apply my font brakes without applying the rear brakes.

I hope I'm not offending you in any way, and even though your position on this topic is opposite mine I do appreciate your input. I always say "No matter who you're talking to, or what you're talking about, you can always learn something."

Comment

All good.

And a line lock will make for a tire/frying specticle

Comment

This is on a stock trak-lok rear end needing a rebuild, and no line lock

http://www.phayzer5.net/videos/3-12-05%20burnout.wmv

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

OHHHHH SWEEETT!!!! Very nice! How'd you record that video anyways, the sound quality is great! And picture looks great too.

That helps a lot man, now I know all I need is a stock limited slim and I'll be great. I recognized your car immediately; I'm the last guy to post a comment on your CarDomain page. LOL

Comment

the rear disc swap takes me a few hours.....it's not that hard............you need the rear disc setup from a 92-95 cv/gm or 91-95 towncar......drum brakes suck!pick up a k code rear if you can find one.....they are a 3.55 locker
                          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Sweet, Thanks, If I can get that k code then I'll have done all my shopping in one buy. You know thats a bonus for us guys.

Comment

Well an odd turn of events could lead to great success! My father works for Ford, I have come to a chance to use a brand new rear end out of a 2005 mustang! Complete, minus the rest of the brakes. However, it is the whole rear end with less than 500miles on them, and the price $0 ZIP ZILCH NADDA!!!! FREEBEE!!

I hope it fits width wise, and I hope I can get it to work on my Vic. Cross my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X