This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    oh, anyway back to the topic on hand. My shift points with a 3.55 rear under light throttle:

1-2 15
    2-3 30
    3-4 48

thats a stock AOD with a high speed governer, and i do have the pressure possibly a bit on the high side. It shifts where it feels and sounds good to me tho.
    That sounds like what mine used to shift at before the swap, and where i would like it to be. It has been snowing more than i've seen in a decade, and haven't been able to take the car out to do more testing, but i finally have some clear roads today. I originally set the tv pressure according to this and have tried adjusting it several times since, but no matter where the pressure is set, it shifts at the exact same times. 11, 18, and doesn't seem to go into od that i can tell, havent gone too fast though, seems like its revving at 38. i inspected both ends of the tv cable and it is all working. i dont want to screw up the tranny, so i want to fix this without much test driving. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The ground loop on the tripminder, thats the 2 pins connected together thing that some of them have? Hmm maybe thats why mine reads off, I don't think I have that connection. It shows less fuel consumption than is correct.
    Yep, the sefi tripminders need that loop for whatever reason or the fuel comsumption is off. Seems like in some instances it will read zero, others will just read low.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Did the TV cable and lever on the trans come off the same donor car??

Are we sure that a CFI/TV rod trans can be used with the cable??? Maybe something with the levering gizmo inside is different?
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the tv cable and lever did come off the same donor car. Where the actual lever bolts on is physically identical, although i was having a ton of issues hooking it up originally. now i'm wondering if there is some sort of difference between the tranny's. havent people swapped cfi trannies into efi cars and visa-versa though?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

as long as the lever moves the same direction with more throttle on both the cfi and efi car, I don't see why it should make any difference. I'm pretty sure they do move the same, lever pulls towards the front of the car with more throttle.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Finally got the TV issue fixed and the car is back to proper working order!!! It turns out when i took the tv rod off, i must have bumped the stud that the TV lever attaches to and it went into the tranny about 3/16". In doing so, the lever that actuates the plunger which increases the TV pressure slid off the plunger. so no matter how i moved the lever the pressure would never change. This was also the reason i was having trouble not being able to move the lever when i tightened the nut down, the stud was too far into the tranny. I'm surprised i haven't heard of this happening before. When that nut is taken off the tv lever, it only takes a tap and that assembly falls off the plunger, and you cant get it back on without taking off the trans pan, manually pushing down the plunger, and putting the lever back on it. Once the nut is back on it stays where it should be though. All these pain in the ass TV problems took way longer than the actual CFI-EFI swap, ugha! Attached is a pic i stole from blaze, B is the plunger, and A is the assembly that pushes the plunger when the tv lever is pulled. A just slid off the back of B and caused this whole mess.

Now i have the tv about right. It doesn't shift exactly like i like it to, but close. My first thought was Damn, this thing is a pig, felt like it just wasn't getting much power, but its just because i have been driving the mark vii the last few months, and despite all that cars problems, it does haul ass.

It idles beautifully and has good throttle response starting out. There is a lot of difference in how much throttle=how much power between CFI and EFI. CFI was pretty even throughout the throttle range but with the EFI i have to be at 3/4 throttle where i used to need only 1/2 throttle. Seems like the 30-60% throttle range is kind of dead, not really a problem, just something i noticed. Its getting better gas mileage than the mark vii, and its way better at 75mph+ than the cfi setup was. With cfi once i was over 70mph i dropped like 4mpg. Lot of cleaning up to do under the hood, but i'm glad its all done. I was very happy to drive a panther again, i was having withdrawals. Hopefully the worst of winter here is over and i can drive it more often, the next week is looking pretty good. I ordered some headers and a voltmeter that should arrive soon. Dual exhaust will hopefully go on in the next month or so.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by FatNasty; 02-12-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X