No announcement yet.

Piggish 351m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tranny should have a kickdown apparently but alot of guys run with out one. If I free up the linkage so it slides in D 2 1 nicely I should be set to go.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i think the c6 uses a rod for kickdown. it'll work without it, just won't downshift unless you do it manually. I'd probably install one myself.

I'm actually impressed it even ran 60 degrees off. Distributor in a couple teeth off?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

should have a kick down rod. carb may not have the propper likage for it. With that timing you might spark knock using the vacuum advance wwithout EGR. Miss a shift much over 6000 RPM and you might bend a push rod.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

the c6 uses vacuum.....if the line is of it will be a pig.........make sure the advance in the distributor isnt siezed......happened to me with natehawks used 351w.....bronco sat for a few months

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
            should have a kick down rod. carb may not have the propper likage for it. With that timing you might spark knock using the vacuum advance wwithout EGR. Miss a shift much over 6000 RPM and you might bend a push rod.
            Stock 351m said I think 35* total, cant be that far off. I still gotta play with it, its still sluggish especially down low. But at least I can feel it kind of pulling. I will definetly check the vacuum advance dashpot.

I wish I had some deserted road I could do some real test runs with. Cops everywhere round here. I only can get on it for a second.

On the other note... I got my head unit in, a set of gauges, and fixed more wiring snafus. Oil pressure kinda is low but whatever... 20psi at hot idle.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

that's good oil pressure for a 351m mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Cool

Comment

Went shopping today, bought some things needed for the truck. A few 1157 and 194 bulbs, oil + filter, lucas, threaded rod for a air cleaner stud and the glue kit to put on an rear view mirror.

Gonna crawl under and see wtf is going on with the shifter linkage. Hopefully I'll free that up. I've never used an oil additive before so hopefully it will help with the lifter tick.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                    that's good oil pressure for a 351m mang
                    x2. Those pigs have some low blood pressure. Mine had a really bad lifter tick- it drank oil, too. It got to where I didn't even bother checking it any more- I just filled it up when the tick got too loud to stand. I hated that motor.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Miss a shift much over 6000 RPM and you might bend a push rod.
                      ???? Why would you say that???????

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post
                        x2. Those pigs have some low blood pressure. Mine had a really bad lifter tick- it drank oil, too. It got to where I didn't even bother checking it any more- I just filled it up when the tick got too loud to stand. I hated that motor.
                        Not sure why you say that, I'm very impressed with this motor. I got the truck running sweet today.

I checked the vac advance and it wasnt siezed. It was shot, just a nice vacuum leak. So I replace the dashpot with another on I had and it works good now. Turns out there was a hole in the old dashpot. Rechecked the timing and pulled a few degrees out. Around 14* initial and 34-5* Total. Seemed to make a difference.

That also seemed to want to make the tranny downshift easier and I freed it up so I can manually shift it if I need to.

The truck needs a converter, the cam on it is pretty lumpy and not what a truck needs. Its gotta be a cleveland grind cam. Its kinda slow to 2500rpm but after that it spins the tires whenever on the wet roads. I found a drier road and opened it up and I was really suprised 20-80mph in a snap. It put me back in the seat. Only had it to 5 grand at each shift and it was pulling like crazy still. I dont know how far the power band goes, but theres alot of grunt now. Its faster than my old 4dr merk I had for sure.

Comment

O yea, I really hate glass packs. This thing is really obnoxious with the popping.

Comment

One problem is the refusal of people to run thin oil in 335 Series motors. The oiling systems sucks. Starve the bearings and you will get accelerated wear. I have seen 400s with fresh builds hold up in truck pulls and have decent oil pressure. I personally owned a F100 with over 150,000 miles and a 400 with great oil pressure. The truck rusted apart before the motor wore out.
                            What is worse is the retards running 20W-50 in 4V Clevelands thinking that their "race" engine needs "race" oil. Pure stupidity..... Alot of the factory 351s spun bearings because of stupidity. This was with the pitiful factory cams and low compression.
                            A 351M with an intake and cam change will outrun any factory 351W.

Comment

You could be low on turn signal fluid. I would check the muffler bearings.
                              Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                              Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                              Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                              Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                              sigpic

Comment

That's blinker fluid there...... And if you have an old British car, it just may have muffler bearings.... Seriously..... That's what they called them...

Get your piston return springs and adjustable power bands here
                                Last edited by Mercracer; 01-07-2008, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X