X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear disc swap bugs

So this is where y'all went....

Hey, I put an 88 TC K-code and 93 CV discs in my 89 GM. Problems are:

1) No place to bolt the caliper mount braces on the housing. May have to weld up existing holes and make new bolt holes in the right place.

2) E-brake hookup and routing. Can't remember how the pass side cable runs across the car. Haven't spent any effort on mating front and rear cables, except to know they don't.

3) Rear brake moan. Possibly related to #1 above and #4 below

4) Poor rear braking. A master cylinder designed for a 15/16" wheel cylinder will not properly operate a caliper of considerably larger size (Fuck, I didn't measure it and I don't know what the fuck size it is). Need to change to 98-02 master after I do the front brakes.

Anyway, I know what to do about #4. Can anyone help me with 1-3?

thanks!

kevin

PS: My car ran 15.8 @ 87 with the 3.55s @ 4210 LB (with me in it)!
    FOR SALE: 89 Grand Marquis GS HO. Quarter mile = 15.8 @ 87mph -- pics http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car...rcycl/mercury/

Junkyard HO, MSD wires, stock Mustang headers, off-road H, Hemi Super Turbos. 3.55 trac loc, HO governor and servo in stock rebuilt AOD. 3-row rad, air pump delete, cop rear bar, wagon rear springs, 93 CV rear discs, 98-02 Grand Marquis wheels, Class 3 hitch, aluminum space-saver spare.

Coming soon: 98-02 front brakes, cop springs, Monroe cop shocks, 96 Cobra wheels w/255/50/17. Better yet, need a nice wagon to put all that stuff in.

Good to see ya over here. Sorry I don't know much about this swap as I have not attemted it yet. I was just going to find a 92 axle and swap it over. Georges 93vic did it to his, I think his only problem was configuring the parking brakes.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hey Kevin! glad to see youve made it...

Anyways, scott should pop on at any time here, him or eric has the answers to your rear brake stuff, lol...

15.8 makes u faster than justin
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

about time you found us kevin!

the braces i didnt use, i have no problems..........have done 3 rear disc swaps so far

the parking brake cables go into a metal bracket........did you harvest used cables and hardware?..............i ordered aftermarket cables for my towncar, but the one (cant remember which one) cable wasnt even close to fitting........you have to get creative hooking up the rear cables to the front cables.......ask eric, he's got rear discs and a grand marquis (towncar longer)

as far as a moan, did you use used rotors? could be rust on the inside of the rotor and the parking brake shoes are making noise on the rust?

and no rear braking?? damm my car stops awesome, and i'm using a stock rebuilt master cyl..........the towncar that i'm currently building i used a stock reman also

hope you get your issues fixed up!

scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The e-brake drum is clean. The rotors were used, but like new thickness. I got all the cables, hardware and brackets, but hell if I can find the brackets! My parts came off a Town Car, so the intermediate cable wouldn't have helped.

My noise is definitely the same one that Mustangs have "anti-moan brackets" to solve. Just a harmonic damping weight hung off the caliper somewhere. Maybe I need some of those.

I also wonder if my drum brake master cylinder is causing the problem. Don't they have residual pressure valves?

How do you run the passenger side cable? Attached to the car floor or frame crossmember, or attached to the rear end? If you attach to the rear, do you run it over or under?
          FOR SALE: 89 Grand Marquis GS HO. Quarter mile = 15.8 @ 87mph -- pics http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car...rcycl/mercury/

Junkyard HO, MSD wires, stock Mustang headers, off-road H, Hemi Super Turbos. 3.55 trac loc, HO governor and servo in stock rebuilt AOD. 3-row rad, air pump delete, cop rear bar, wagon rear springs, 93 CV rear discs, 98-02 Grand Marquis wheels, Class 3 hitch, aluminum space-saver spare.

Coming soon: 98-02 front brakes, cop springs, Monroe cop shocks, 96 Cobra wheels w/255/50/17. Better yet, need a nice wagon to put all that stuff in.

Comment

No noise from rear disc brakes either, but I used new rotors and reman (loaded) calipers. I never installed the caliper braces either, but still have them.
            I bought new Ford E-brake cables for a '93 CV. the passenger side loops up from the wheel and goes into a bracket thats attached with a 10mm bolt on the subframe in front of the gas tank. I re-used the bracket that was on my stock E-brake cables.

As far as rear braking is concerned, I would have to say its much better than the stock drums. Make sure you didnt kink a line or something, causing a presure drop to the rear.
            Also, did you read my post about the adjustment nut on the rod coming from the brake booster? try adjusting that a 1/4 or 1/2 a turn.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

15.8? rear discs?

i need pics and a mod list

Comment

Originally posted by Pimp Hard Or Bust
                15.8? rear discs?

i need pics and a mod list
                edit: I put my list in my sig

Car weighs 3960 without me, 4210 with. Car has made exactly 2 dragstrip passes. Has had sparkplugs changed once in the 3 years/50k mi since I built it, oil changed occasionally, no other effort made. Runs on 89 octane gas.

Comment

Eric--

I did see your post. I'll try that, but I expect there are other issues as well.

thanks
                  kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X