Drivetrain low-speed whine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivetrain low-speed whine...

Anyone know why most Panthers have an audible whine, or spooling up sound when first taking off? Every Panther I've been in does it to some degree from boxes to whales. Is it the trans, rearend, or a combo of the two? I noticed my Mom's RV does it big-time, but it has a 5.XX something RAR. I found a vid of a slow take off where you can clearly hear it:

Pulling out of the gas station after filling up the POS for one last cruise for the season.

Im pretty sure its transmission whine... the 85 does it
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My TC used to not do it, but is starting to. It's more like a hum than a whine... I hope it isn't indicating serious transmission wear (being that it is a recent developement.)
      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing, and I think it's probably just because the vibrations that are always in the rear end (even one that doesn't normally whine) find certain resonant frequencies in the body, which amplifies them. You may notice with a mostly quiet rear end that at certain speeds you can hear it whine just a little--I think this is the same thing.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I've noticed that too. I kind of like that sound though....
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It worried me a little when I first picked the thing up, but I think it's just a normal thing for these cars.
            1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
            1974 VW Beetle

Comment

its the aod, notice it goes away once it shifts into second gear. something in the gearset design i guess.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whatever mine is doing, it is loudest at the top of each gear, and pretty loud all the way through first. However, whatever my noise is, I never heard it before I took off the throttle body and elbow to clean out the egr channels. And other than the noise, the car runs much better... could I just be hearing the sound of a proper-running 4.6 for once?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  its the aod, notice it goes away once it shifts into second gear. something in the gearset design i guess.
                  Seems like it to me. My 4R70W does it as well, but it's a lot less noticeable. Seems there's a lot of sound deadening in the Mark.

Comment

It is the tranny gears. It's simply gear whine and nothing to be worried about. That whine is what makes the AOD gear pack to durable. The gears are relatively straiter than most, straiter cut gears whine more, but are stronger.

Comment

You guys ever ride in a car or truck with a race prepped tranny. Same noise The Capri does it with its 4 speed. Do to the answer above
                      Does Lucas make automatic tranny fluid?
                      Because that made the Capri quiet down a bit once we filled it up with that stuff
                      Last edited by interceptor1985; 01-20-2008, 11:18 PM.
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Yep, it's the AOD. My T-Bird and wagon both do it, and that's about the only common part between them.
                        Nick
                        88 Colony Park LS
                        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

keep driving it is normal

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Why has my noise only appeared since I cleaned the egr passages and whatnot? Everything was resealed properly because it runs MUCH better now and has better power and no "sucking" or "hissing" vacuum leak noise. Could it just be engine noise and not the tranny?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

4.6 cars have their own hum noise thats not neccesarily the trans. usually only shows up at idle, any throttle makes it go away. its the iac plumbing design, the hose vibrates and makes this hum/howl noise. The low speed whine in the transmission is usually only in first and sometimes second gear, and changes pitch with speed.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X