Clear All

Almost forgot, the ECM is a VL2
    sigpic
    Current Rides
    67 Cougar XR7
    97 Mountaineer 5.0
    03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Can't he just put the fan in front of the rad. and use it as a pusher?
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

flip them over, the casting number you want is on the bottom of the intake runner.

orange top injectors are 19# units, if its an HO it had them.

Also, hope you got the upper intake plate, thats worth 13.7 horsepower as long as its the one that can be flipped backwards and not be upside-down.

VL2 should work, but you're gonna lose cruise with it. It is the correct HO firing order though.
        Last edited by gadget73; 02-03-2008, 02:02 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
          Can't he just put the fan in front of the rad. and use it as a pusher?
          its a mechanical fan, not an electric.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks like I have the E6SE heads, I guess that's not good news.
            sigpic
            Current Rides
            67 Cougar XR7
            97 Mountaineer 5.0
            03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              its a mechanical fan, not an electric.
              My bad!
              89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by 87LongroofCP View Post
                Thanks Gadget73, It has the HO plenum plate, it is an LSC. The pistons looked flat which surprised me. The heads look like they have 6k8 castings, if I read it right. Are these worth having work done? There's a dealer on eBay selling the E7 heads, item # 280192854945 are these worth it? If not, can anybody recommend a dealer ? I know there are probably better ones out there, but I'm now on a tight budget. Is there any easy way to identify these as #19 injectors? Sorry about all the questions, With limited funds, I hate to buy the wrong parts. Thanks again for the advice
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...3286.m20.l1116

If it's that one, it's not a bad deal if they're really done correctly and ready to bolt on. E7 cores aren't worth much, but the machinist I used to go to charges $200 to freshen a set of heads, so ~$150 including cores is pretty good. Of course, F1, F3, or especially F7 castings (if you can get a decent deal on them) will put you money ahead performance-wise even if they're more expensive.

Your stock cast pistons will be fine for a basic HO conversion as long as nothing crazy like spray or super-aggressive tuning is planned. Stock HO pistons could be substituted if you do a rering at the stock bore size, but they're not necessary. Obviously, if you rebuild the shortblock and an overbore is required, that'd be the time to step up to a better piston. Hypereuctectic alloys are pretty cheap these days.

Originally posted by 87LongroofCP View Post
                Looks like I have the E6SE heads, I guess that's not good news.
                Nothing wrong with those on a stock motor! But yeah, the high-swirl chamber runs into valve shrouding issues if actual airflow is expected, and no, I wouldn't spend the money having them redone.
                Last edited by 1987cp; 02-04-2008, 04:34 PM.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Update- I picked up a set of the E7 heads locally (3 miles) last night. A guy on ebay selling 5.0 parts had them. They have been ported, nicely done, He couldn't remember where he got them or what the story was on them, very, very clean, valves look new. He said they were too heavy to ship, so he was ready to throw them out. So he offered them to me for $20 !!! I offered him more but he wouldn't take it.

I picked up another car to drive while I tear into this, (91 Buick R/M) I know it's not a Ford, but for the price I couldn't say no.

But now I am noticing an occasion noise, wrist pin maybe? It's not loud, but it's there.
                  In the back of my garage I have an 85? 5.0 that came from a CP. It ran very good, either a rebuilt or a Ford replacement.

Any way I can run this non roller short block with my EFI? The nmbers casting is DSOE-6015-E3A 8L2. The pistons have the small notches for the valves. The heads are E5AE but would use the E7's. What cam, lifters, pushrods should I use with this setup? I know this is not the ideal way to do this, But a rebuilt short block is out of my reach at the moment. Many Thanks for the advice
                  sigpic
                  Current Rides
                  67 Cougar XR7
                  97 Mountaineer 5.0
                  03 Ranger XLT

Comment

You are sure you aren't hearing piston slap on your current engine? Lopo's with a few miles on them are bad about it until they warm up. Goes away once it's warmed up, though.

Block casting number is probably a D8OE, that's what's in my '82. Should be able to run it. You'll need to swap the steel distributor gear for an iron one to match the flat tappet cam, though.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

you can run it but you'd need a suitable cam. I dont know what is neccesary offhand, but if you look around you should be able to find something thats got specs that compare to the speed density friendly roller cam. Regarding the distributor, it'd be much easier to snatch one from an 84-85 cfi car since it'll have the right gear on it already./

Comment

some 85 blocks are roller compatible 88 grandmarq rebuilt the 302 from aod's 85 vic and converted it into a roller engine using 86+ roller cam and lifters and holdowns

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Might be another week or so before I update again. I'll begin getting the motor out monday and tear into it. I'll let you know what I find, and what my next step will be. Thanks again for the advice!
                          sigpic
                          Current Rides
                          67 Cougar XR7
                          97 Mountaineer 5.0
                          03 Ranger XLT

Comment

anytime. Good luck with it, let us know how things go

Comment

Hi Gadget73 and everyone, Been fighting the flu or something, Not Fun! Started getting the motor out this afternoon, Few questions for the Panther Guru"s. When using the HO intake,egr, and throttle body, What do I need to use to make the trans, throttle cable bracket fit? Is there an easy solution? Can I do away with the low oil level sender on the pan? And finally (for now) Does anybody know on an 87 CP if I can do something with the vacuum lines and solenoids? On the pass. inner fender well? Do I need it all? It really looks like s..t. Thanks again!
                              sigpic
                              Current Rides
                              67 Cougar XR7
                              97 Mountaineer 5.0
                              03 Ranger XLT

Comment

you use the lever off your stock throttle body and attatch it to the HO throttle body. Involves a little grinding and a spot weld. Bore out the stock EGR spacer (throttle bracket bolts to this) to the same size as the HO part. It will all fit up nicely. Bore job is probably 25-40 bucks at a local machine shop. Shouldn't be anything major, just a bit of setup on a lathe or milling machine.

You can remove the low oil sender if neccesary. if the pan has the hole though, you'd be best leaving it. If you're replacing the pan, simply don't hook the wire up.

If you need the smog pump and all, all the junk on the fender must stay. If you're removing the smog pump, you can remove a lot of the plumbing. I have all 3 on my car, but only the upper one which is for the EGR is hooked up. I removed all but the 2 vacuum lines neccesary to operate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X