No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to put 1" spacers on to fill out the wheel wells better. It was a good choice visually I think. It also made the handling, steering, and even the ride a little better as well... who would have thought. The last picture doesn't show the stance as accurately, but I thought it looked good there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	1290694Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpeg
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	1290695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.jpeg
Size:	5.29 MB
ID:	1290696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpeg
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	1290697

Speedway had some "garage sale" aka open box 175 rear springs for cheap, so I bought them. Now that the rear wheels are further out, it just doesn't look right with the wheel well above the top of the tire. I figure they are easy enough to swap, so I'll see how i like them. If handling doesnt suffer and ride quality gets better, I'll count that as a double win.
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-12-2022, 08:16 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Cool car, slick tops are groovy. Brown just makes it ultra sexy.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Those wheel spacers make that car look better. Very nice! Is the (Acura?) behind it your daily?

I left the spacers on my Mom's CV when I temporarily put the old American Racing slot wheels on there and I am liking the look.

Comment

Thanks! These cars definitely look better with the wheels a bit wider. I'm not a huge fan of the tucked in style they had for years and years

The Acura is my "winter beater", i generally daily it 3-4 months out of the year, otherwise the LTD is my daily driver.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^smart move! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I noticed someone on here installed a front lip...and then i saw it again on facebook by someone else. Decided to go ahead and do it for $37 shipped.

Name:	IMG_1899.jpeg
Size:	5.31 MB
ID:	1290708Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.jpeg
Size:	5.03 MB
ID:	1290709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpeg
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	1290710Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1901.jpeg
Size:	5.17 MB
ID:	1290711

I think it looks okay... there are so many random protrusions on these cars that another one doesn't look terribly out of place. It doesn't seem any more stable at 70-75, however after a 20 minute highway drive my TPS is about 1% lower when cruising...so perhaps i can eek out a bit better gas mileage. I'll be sure to see on my next larger trip.
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Is this the chevy truck font lip type?

I was heavy into doing one (with fog lamps) but never ended pulling the trigger.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That MPG mod yo!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Is this the chevy truck font lip type?

I was heavy into doing one (with fog lamps) but never ended pulling the trigger.
                    Yes it is, I got it on Amazon. Figured it was worth a try for the price. Since I have smooth bumpers I decided to go with the smoother version

Hopefully pick up some MPGs!
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Looks pretty good! Especially from the front it looks like it could belong there, not so much from the side.
                      That's why I did this very quick paint edit. Crude but maybe you can see my idea of how it ties together way better?

Name:	INKEDIMG_1900.jpg
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1290712
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                        Looks pretty good! Especially from the front it looks like it could belong there, not so much from the side.
                        That's why I did this very quick paint edit. Crude but maybe you can see my idea of how it ties together way better?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58435[/ATTACH]
                        100% agree! I was thinking of something similar, but going straight instead of angled upwards. I like your design better after seeing it though. The tricky part will be curving it inwards behind the lip
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Name:	IMG_1926.jpeg
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1290715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpeg
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	1290716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.jpeg
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	1290717

So i got inspired...it was a bunch of work, and i only got one side done. but i think it'll look good
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Well that was fast! All colormatched it'll look perfect.
                            That piece is way better than anything I would've imagined. Getting the bends on plastic sheet might be way harder.
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

That looks fantastic! Really fits nicely.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Make a good template of that and I am sure you can make a couple of bucks either selling the template or even manufactured pieces. That is going to be really nice Phil.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X