Name:	IMG_7849.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1284907Click image for larger version

Name:	56523294830__998BDFDD-C7CA-4092-AF4A-541DC2B8A5C2.jpeg
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1284906

Yeah I really like the rod configuration. It's so simple, and like you said, it works. It's technically a mechanical secondary, with a vacuum actuated plate. So i guess you could say it's a hybrid?
    Attached Files
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

All vac secondaries are like that. The throttle plate is opened mechanically, but the air doors open only when there is enough demand to pull them open. Fuel is added when the air door opens. Purely mechanical secondaries don't have the air door, they open whenever the throttle is opened far enough.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Vac secondaries are a good thing. Variable flow based on engine demands and abilities just makes good sense. Most things do not need a mechanical secondary, thats for motors that go 1/4 mile at a time...
        This.

So often I see junk listed for sale with some absurd CFM double-pumper (why does that sound so dirty?) slapped on top of stock, moldy engine. As if flushing a toilet equates to more horsepower. Ya got it all wrong, Cletus...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I used Edelbrock 3783 and 8053 (intake/ EGR spacer) on my '90 P72. The cast iron EGR spacer for an '85 GT is a better option, and I do have one somewhere. It will withstand the heat better.

The Edelbrock 1406 served me well, but it was a compromise of drivability, and performance. I fiddled with it religiously and either got decent mileage, or it ran and performed great. Hopefully the AVS2 performs better.

I never met a double pumper I didn't like. I can't speak for fuel economy, but from a performance perspective I have never had an out of the box or "tuned" VS carb provide the SOTP feel that a MS carb does.

Additionally, cfm ratings are just a flow rate measured at a a certain negative pressure, and should never be the sole deciding factor in carburetor choice. A NA engine will only take as much air as it needs. I think you chose the correct size for a 351 at your VE level, and it will leave you some room to grow.

Regarding retaining the rod, have you considered a Silverfox VB that doesn't require precise TV adjustment? I had one in my '87 coupe and it was marvelous, despite the Lokar nonsense.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Interesting, I'm new to the 4BBL world, I assumed there was a vacuum diaphragm that would pull open the secondary throttle blades at a certain point, sort of like how the VV actuated its upper sliders. That's good to know

I have a cast iron EGR spacer from a truck that came with it, however someone welded repairs onto the machine surface and it appeared to be leaking exhaust gases into the secondaries. Nathan, if you're able to find your EGR plate would you want to sell it? Looks like i'll need to find another anyway.

As far as the valve body-That's probably more of a money thing than anything else. Currently the bracket is going well, however I've realized with the current design I cannot keep the cruise control attachment. I just have to work out another design if I want to keep it.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Whats the issue with the cruise, attaching the cable to the carb or mounting the cable to the intake? I don't remember if I saw what that setup actually looks like.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Phil, I will look for the one I had, but no promises. Its been over 10 years since I last saw it.

Found this one below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-EGR-Pl...L~~S:rk:1:pf:0

And Edelbrock 8053 is always an option, albeit a little expensive.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It's been a little while, however progress has been made! They said the rod cannot work with this carb, but I had to prove them wrong! I got all the linkage working and secured. I also had to fabricate a new throttle bracket, as the linkage and the carb put everything towards the driver side more, and a little higher. I got the original EGR system to work with the new setup, everything was originally designed as an "add on" to a basic intake design, so it worked out for me.

Car started right up. I added a Holley fuel pressure regulator and 20 micron high capacity fuel filter. Apparently the screw in stock filter for the 2150 was just a large screen mesh that did absolutely nothing to filter gunk out. Thankfully the air filter fit under the hood without me having to mill its neck down like i thought I might have to. I did have to massage a small section of hood support to get it to fit perfectly, but it was very minor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9961.jpeg
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1285228Click image for larger version

Name:	57532975032__3B21E57A-6457-43EF-BA44-577A523E0762.jpeg
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1285229Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9980.jpeg
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1285230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9821.jpeg
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1285231
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Now for the important stuff. Does the cruise control still work?

Comment

and more importantly, does it do burnouts?

Comment

Thankfully cruise still works perfectly. Not sure on the burnouts yet, but I sure hope so. She sounds wicked when the secondaries open up.

My steering box decided to suddenly start leaking as soon as I got the car running again...so have to look into fixing that
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          ...She sounds wicked when the secondaries open up...
                          rrrRRRRwwWWWHAAA!!! -or something like that haha. It is a great sound.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I started pulling apart the front suspension to install speedway lowering springs- halfway through I decided to send back my stock balljoints and do the "intermediate" brake upgrade, so itll be easier to go big brakes when i eventually get bigger wheels. Cheesesteakjim AKA Nick is selling me some powder coated upper arms and spindles, and the lower arms will be new and painted. Upper bushings will be Poly. Once I have the funds I'll be be changing out the KYB's for Bilsteins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.jpeg
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	1286827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048.jpeg
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	1286828
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

was it sketchy getting the front spring out?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

In the beginning it was, as I misinterpreted some posts that said I could lower the front of the arm with the ball joints out and remove it. Seeing that I could not do that, I used a spring compressor that goes inside of the spring and then unbolted the control arm to remove it. The other side will go a lot smoother knowing this
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X