No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooo freshly machined eye candy. Definitely an exciting part of a project.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Exciting. What color are you painting the block?
        Old Ford Blue! It's what the original engine was painted, but a lot of other parts will be silver (i think) and the heads are going to stay bare aluminum.

All main bearings check out, just got my ring and piston install tools, hopefully get the short block fully assembled soon. The FTI cam by Ed Curtis is on the slow train, I ordered it a month ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6087.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1288256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6088.jpeg
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1288257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6093.jpeg
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1288258
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Shiny old ford blue paint. Going to look great when complete.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's gonna be a runner; especially with a custom FTI cam. And you did a better job with the paint than I did.

Comment

Looking good. What freeze plugs did you use? I had trouble getting the right depth.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks guys!

I had bought a set- but the machine shop installed their own. There's a part number on them EPC133B. Looks like they only sell them in bulk packs
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Well the speedway springs didn't last too long! They no longer make the HD police springs- however the newer Aero springs are very very close. I got a set and cut 1 coil off of them (after 3 different cuts on the one side as an experiment. Technically the 1 side is 1 full coil, and the passenger is 1 1/8 coil, I think my frame is tweaked...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	1288344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6209.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	1288345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6199.jpeg
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1288346
                  Ride height is perfect for me overall, has a 1" rake (26.75" to top of wheel well in front, and 27.75" in rear). If i were to do it again i might take 7/8 of a coil off, but im not complaining. Ride quality is WAY better, and I can't notice a difference in handling, although my massive sidewalls are holding me back in that respect. I did some calculations and my spring rate should be around 500Lb's/in, so a bit higher than stock HD springs. They pair nicely with the 200Lb rear springs and Bilstein shocks.

Also, the aftermarket Aero brake slider pins come with bolts that are to short (out of 3 different brands I've gotten). I had a loud clinking/rattle, one of the bolts stripped right out of the slider. I ordered a new slider and a pack of grade 10.9 flanged M8x1.25, 25mm long bolts (compared to 20mm). I figured it would be good to warn people, this was a bad thing for manufacturers to cheap out on, definitely could have caused an accident. Click image for larger version

Name:	62845432268__AE6D0697-3D72-418E-8269-A924E506F109.jpeg
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	1288347
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

i had one of those bolts come out a bunch of years ago, not sure what hardware I used when I replaced it.

Most of these things seem to sit a bit crooked. I know mine has a slightly tweaked up frame but it had some lean even before that. I think it just happens after a long time, the ladder frames are not super rigid and the steady torque of the engine eventually tweaks it a bit.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was never a fan of the 925/175 speedway springs in my 2 door. for the same reason you mentioned; the noise going over bumps! In my opinion, they were waaaaaay too stiff, and honestly... entirely under damped with whatever cheap KYB shocks were on that thing. Good riddance. Paint on the engine looks excellent, too!
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        I was never a fan of the 925/175 speedway springs in my 2 door. for the same reason you mentioned; the noise going over bumps! In my opinion, they were waaaaaay too stiff, and honestly... entirely under damped with whatever cheap KYB shocks were on that thing. Good riddance. Paint on the engine looks excellent, too!
                        Funny you mention under damped. When I met up with John and we picked up Phil he bounced the car and asked if my shocks were blown. They were KYB gas a justs...basically brand new. I may look into bilstein shocks. I am not swapping springs though. I feel they are fine....though do make a little noise in the rear over bumps...and maybe something coming from the left front when turning right over bumps. lol Other than that everything is great!

Looks nice Phil. Car is LOW!
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Funny you mention under damped. When I met up with John and we picked up Phil he bounced the car and asked if my shocks were blown. They were KYB gas a justs...basically brand new. I may look into bilstein shocks. I am not swapping springs though. I feel they are fine....though do make a little noise in the rear over bumps...and maybe something coming from the left front when turning right over bumps. lol Other than that everything is great!
                          Bilsteins are a great product; I have 5100s on my Ram, and even with the lift and 36s the thing rides far better than stock. Plus... 5100s have a lifetime warranty.

But with that being said, quality or not, if they are not rated to damp a 925 in/lb rate spring, then they won't. You want some AFCO 1020s or similar, matched to the high rate spring.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            Bilsteins are a great product; I have 5100s on my Ram, and even with the lift and 36s the thing rides far better than stock. Plus... 5100s have a lifetime warranty.

But with that being said, quality or not, if they are not rated to damp a 925 in/lb rate spring, then they won't. You want some AFCO 1020s or similar, matched to the high rate spring.
                            I hear you.
                            ~David~

Comment

Phil. What type of bucket seats are you planning to get. I am excited so see what you come up with. It may nudge me to do similar.
                              ~David~

Comment

I do love my bilsteins, so fast to counteract bumps when cornering, the car doesn't skirt sideways a little when it hits one, it just keeps holding on around the corner. It's low, but for the most part it still has more ground clearance than most modern stock cars on my block! ha

So I've decided on the buckets- Jay (in NY) is supplying me with a pair of split bench sliders/brackets, and I'll fabricate an adapter plate. Here are the ones I've picked out: https://corbeau.com/sport-seat/

They look like they could have come with the car, while still appearing modern. I needed something that will be comfortable on my bad back, and be able to really hold me in on corners, as I get thrashed around with my bench seat. I called Corbeau and they are sending me out 2 vinyl color samples, one of the Spice, and one of the Tan, and I'll see what matches best. From other peoples pictures i think at least one will be pretty close to my oddball tan color. They come with a BUNCH of add on options, and i'm definitely getting the extra lumbar support. It will be nice to be able to recline the seat, as mine is fixed...I may even make the drivers side powered.

I'll also need a center console with.... CUP HOLDERS. A luxury to us box owners
                                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-09-2020, 08:19 PM.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X