1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Work Phil!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Yesterday 86VickyLx and I got the Sniper EFI system working. HUGE thanks to him, he's a wiring genius and got everything right the first time. It took 2 decent days to get everything major wired/plumbed and ready. Certainly a lot more work than Holley likes to make you think. However, to be fair, I have full electric fan control, 3 relays controlling the A/C (one for the computer to activate it, one to shut it down at high throttle positions, and one that is powered by the controlling relay to send a grounded signal back to the ECU to tell it that the A/C is on). Along with the Hyperspark ignition which is a decent amount more wiring.

I had to run a new line to replace the 1/4 return line with 5/16 as the unit wants basically no back pressure on the return line. Holley wants 3/8", but according to most sources online that's not necessary unless I'm pushing towards the upper limits of the Sniper (600HP).

I still have to finish modifying the throttle/TV adapter I made, plumb in my older temp gauge, neaten up the wires and install wire loom, bolt on the ignition box, modify the fusebox bracket to sit nice on the fender, and a few other things I'm not remembering right now

Oh and I broke the rear brake line when installing the new fuel line, probably a blessing in disguise as it could have broken when driving it. So i have to replace that.

Here's a few pictures of it, in its unfinished state...it'll all look nice and neat when I'm done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	1290041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpeg
Size:	3.97 MB
ID:	1290042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpeg
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	1290043
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Shame that those pretty valve covers get buried under all that.
        B̶t̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶?̶ ̶H̶o̶l̶l̶e̶y̶?̶ Nevermind I read your reply on the other thread.
        Last edited by Arquemann; 03-12-2022, 11:00 AM.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Yesterday 86VickyLx and I got the Sniper EFI system working. HUGE thanks to him, he's a wiring genius and got everything right the first time. It took 2 decent days to get everything major wired/plumbed and ready. Certainly a lot more work than Holley likes to make you think. However, to be fair, I have full electric fan control, 3 relays controlling the A/C (one for the computer to activate it, one to shut it down at high throttle positions, and one that is powered by the controlling relay to send a grounded signal back to the ECU to tell it that the A/C is on). Along with the Hyperspark ignition which is a decent amount more wiring.

I had to run a new line to replace the 1/4 return line with 5/16 as the unit wants basically no back pressure on the return line. Holley wants 3/8", but according to most sources online that's not necessary unless I'm pushing towards the upper limits of the Sniper (600HP).

I still have to finish modifying the throttle/TV adapter I made, plumb in my older temp gauge, neaten up the wires and install wire loom, bolt on the ignition box, modify the fusebox bracket to sit nice on the fender, and a few other things I'm not remembering right now

Oh and I broke the rear brake line when installing the new fuel line, probably a blessing in disguise as it could have broken when driving it. So i have to replace that.

Here's a few pictures of it, in its unfinished state...it'll all look nice and neat when I'm done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57565[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57566[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57567[/ATTACH]
          I'm looking forward to seeing the wiring all loomed up. It's gonna look real sharp! The relay boxes will look really good once they're installed on their respective brackets!

Comment

Yay John!

And Phil. Nice work!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yah, that will indeed look awesome when it's all said and done

Comment

UPDATES!

So rear brake line is replaced (thanks to John once more!) I was running into some major EMI/RFI. I relocated the coil to the fender and replaced it with a factory ford one with a capacitor/condensor. I the wrapped the front of the Sniper unit in foil... problem solved! I have to make a custom metal shield for the front, I've seen a couple people online do this.

I was running into further tuning issues, i was able to compensate, but AFR would fluctuate a stupid amount around stoich cruising, and i had to compensate for a tip in lean condition in ways that a person with no tuning experience would be able to do without a lot of learning... Turns out I had selected a Sniper 2X4 system (2 sniper units on one intake) in the beginning. I'm kinda impressed i was able to tune around the setup lacking an entire other sniper unit. It drove WAY better with almost no modification using the stock fuel table with the correct configuration selected...

I still have to mount some stuff properly and make that shield, but I'm so far happy with the system now that its "right"
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Yeah... selecting the correct "as installed" setup tends to help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

is the unit not metal ? Seems that would be standard specifically for shielding reasons. Bitchy electronics like Faraday cages.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah that was a "DOH!" moment.. I'm not sure how it happened

It is aluminum, but it's not enough. It's a pretty common issue, especially on Fords where the dizzy and coil are right in front of the computer. I wish it was remotely mounted.

Next up is swapping the centerlink/pitman arm/tie rod sleeves to the newer style. I'll report on the improvements. Then wheels and tires, big brakes, and rear discs...then that should hopefully be it for a long time mechanically speaking
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Very curious what you get out of the steering bits. I'm running old style stuff on mine. Its all in good shape but if it actually produces something worthwhile I'd consider swapping it whenever it needs to be rebuilt.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I've got most of the wiring cleaned up in the engine bay (still some minor details to take care of). Everything is mounted.

Name:	IMG_0672.jpeg
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	1290119

I built a metal shield out of 16ga metal for the front of the sniper unit, just have to paint it.

Name:	IMG_0702.jpeg
Size:	3.97 MB
ID:	1290120Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpeg
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	1290121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpeg
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	1290122

My new 17" Dodge Challenger/300 rims came. The dog dishes will fit perfectly on them once I weld some small tabs around the circular center piece. I'm going with 235/55's up front and 255/50's in the rear, it will be nice to get some traction!

Name:	IMG_0719.jpeg
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	1290123Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpeg
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	1290124
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Big wheels with stock dog dishes, I like it. Can tell its not stock if you look close but certainly not anything that would be obvious to someone who doesn't really know what they are looking at.

Comment

Nice work Phil. Looking great. Those wheels are going to look awesome with the stock centers!
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks guys

That's the goal, to have it almost look like it could be stock, but have better/more performance oriented tires. Most people will never know the difference
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X