No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the offset on those mopar steelies?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

So I didn’t measure the difference in offset but I will. I can tell you that the mounting area of the Dodge wheel is half an inch closer to the outer lip of the rim compared to my stock rims. So they should stick inward half an inch. The Dodge wheels backspacing is 4.75
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

So the offset is +20mm, so if they don't look right I could always get 20, or 25mm adapter/spacers.

Was having trouble with the sniper unit. Tune was perfect, then BAM, AFR wasn't right at all. It was fairly consistent though...Contacted support and they found a couple minor things wrong with my tune. It wasn't the problem though, ended up being nothing wrong with the sniper, but a misfire from a bad spark plug. I've always had lean spikes when cruising since installing the unit, I assumed this was just normal engine operation, they weren't (usually) extreme. Once I replaced the plug the AFR line tracked the target so smoothly... hurrah! The guy I talked to at EFIsystempro.com (where I bought the unit from) was extremely helpful
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Under all the electronics, its still an engine designed in the 1950s with the same problems they have always had. Interesting it would read lean though, I'd have expected un-burned fuel to spike it rich
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

New Center link, pitman arm, and tie rod adjusting sleeves are in from 95-02 panther models. I had the stock box stuff before with the HPP steering box. Here are my thoughts:

+Steering is more responsive, less input in the wheel is needed to get the vehicle to move, but it's not overly sensitive, if anything it inspires more confidence.
            +It seems to track better/in a straight line better, especially at highway speed
            +Turning radius is tighter. I should have counted lock to lock before i did it... however previously it didn't seem to want to reach the bump stops without some extra force, now it reaches them easily and as a result my turning radius is significantly tighter.
            +It may or may not handle bumps better... I'll need to drive it more, however bump steer MAY be reduced.

All in all I highly recommend it to anyone doing the steering box upgrade. It's more cost...but it really completes the package, and makes it feel like a modern car.
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Appreciate the info. I'll grab all those parts once my current setup is worn. Currently just have the police spec 02 steering box with the factory box pieces tying everything together.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Under all the electronics, its still an engine designed in the 1950s with the same problems they have always had. Interesting it would read lean though, I'd have expected un-burned fuel to spike it rich
                Yup. Misfires would show up as a lean condition. Remember, oxygen sensors read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream not the fuel. Combustion uses up that oxygen. So a misfire would show greater concentration of oxygen.

Comment

So the center link rubs the oil pan at full lock on left turns... I clearanced the pan slightly and took a bit off the link, but it still slightly touches the pan. I can live with it, but want other people to know.

Still working on the wheels, but found a technique that works and got a hubcap installed on it. so far so good.

Did a spark plug reading at WOT, went through 8 plugs but got it where it wants to be. Went from 24.5 to 26.5 above 3000RPM at WOT. Gained some power and sounds better. Very efficient heads

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	1290395
                  Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 06-25-2022, 07:49 PM.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    Still working on the wheels, but found a technique that works and got a hubcap installed on it. so far so good.
                    I'm interested

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      I'm interested
                      So we made a ring that fit the inside of the hubcap, centered it perfectly on the wheel, and welded it on in four spots, this is just to help center it easier. Cut off the excess ring leaving 4 pieces. At that point it's trial and error. You have to fill the gap below the ring part with weld, until it fits snugly, and is centered properly. then a little weld on top at the right spot to make it so it can snap on. On these wheels i had to machine the lug nut holes to the right pattern...Here's a picture of a wheel with it done...it's not the best, but i can include more detailed photos if you're still interested

Name:	IMG_1612-1.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1290586

Finally got the new wheels and tires on. I think all the work paid off, smoother balance than before, handles way better, more confidence, ride doesn’t seem any harsher, maybe even better. Has more road feel

Name:	IMG_1629.jpeg
Size:	5.38 MB
ID:	1290582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1628-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	1290587Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631-1.jpg
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1290584Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633-1.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1290585
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 08-10-2022, 09:01 PM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Kinda weird, the steelies look somewhat big on there... Even though other 17s I've seen look way smaller.
                        Looks pretty killer still, I would've maybe gone gloss black, factory style.
                        If you only get pros and no cons on the swap, I'd call that a major win!

What did you have to do the the lug holes? I though mopar had the 5x4,5 still, or is seating different somehow?

Comment

That came out nice. Worth it making the oldie caps fit the new wheels.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nicely done!!! If I ever find the Merc Mountaineer centers I've been wanting; I would gladly give you my Ford centers.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                              Kinda weird, the steelies look somewhat big on there... Even though other 17s I've seen look way smaller.
                              Looks pretty killer still, I would've maybe gone gloss black, factory style.
                              If you only get pros and no cons on the swap, I'd call that a major win!

What did you have to do the the lug holes? I though mopar had the 5x4,5 still, or is seating different somehow?
                              Yeah they look more like 18's.. maybe its the center caps. I wanted the satin black so they'd blend in with the tires, making them less noticeable to anyone not looking hard enough, and i thought it would look more utilitarian.

For the lug holes I used a dremel with a carbide bit and carved out the hole towards the center of the hub. Ford is 114.3mm and Dodge is 115mm... so it is noticeable, but not a ton of material to remove. Since it uses acorn nuts they just goes slightly deeper than before, without bottoming out

Thanks Dave!

I appreciate it packman, always good to have extras on hand
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Steel wheels just need something in the middle, and original dog dishes work quite nicely with the rest of the car's looks.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X