PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

View Poll Results: What type of exhaust tips should I get?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight out the back like the current POTM has

7 58.33%
  • The look i had before with the tips pointed downward out the back

5 41.67%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: 1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Mine doesn't really drone now that it has the X pipe.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I really just think its Fox H pipes that have suckage issues.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I read once that the factory mufflers on the fox mustangs were slightly different lengths in an attempt to deal with the drone.

They were. The Mark VII also had different diameter tailpipes. Stock exhaust on those is perfectly silent. It can be done, but it needs some trickery to pull it off.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Huh.. I never knew that but yeah, I don't remember my dad's VII being loud or droney at all. Only time you heard that engine was at WOT, sounded pretty good then. I mashed that thing often as a 17-19 year old kid.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I mashed that thing often as a 17-19 year old kid.
    I think most of us do at that age

The overall volume needs to come down, I ordered a couple 14" resonators I'm going to install on the tailpipes, it seems to be the loudest after the mufflers, and I've read people having good luck toning down the volume and harmonics with these. We'll see, they weren't crazy expensive and wont take long to install. Im considering putting just one on and see what happens too, before i do the other one, for kicks.

In other news...if you're riding around on your original calipers...I strongly recommend getting new/remanned or rebuilding yours. I got all new rubber parts and pistons on closeout. I got the pistons "just in case". What I found when i popped the old ones out was scary. If i had know they were THIS bad I wouldn't have even driven the car. There did seem to be a little more drag on the front wheels when spinning them then there should have been. Check out the pix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5491.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	50530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5493-1.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	50531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5495.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	50532

There was a TON of crude in the piston bore, the piston as you can see was pitted and corroded badly, and the square cut O-ring was extremely distorted. I have no idea how I didn't have sticky calipers.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Haha yeah, I certainly did. Drove my Grand Am for a week before I realized "I could floor it and it would go fast..." Well, go fast was wrong but I still floored it. Best that turd did was 103 IIRC, much to the dismay of my girlfriend at the time.

Wow yeah, those are nasty.. Bet she'll do a bit better on gas now too.

And that is why I put new calipers on the Continental right after I bought it. Probably could have rebuilt them but I got replacements for like 15 each on closeout so I didn't feel the need to bother with it. Not sure if they were original but I knew the car had sat for ~10 years and I wasn't interested in risking it. The rubber lines were downright scary on that thing anyway.

A few updates:

I took her on a 4500 mile road trip in August. She performed flawlessly, no trouble whatsoever other than a broken exhaust hanger during the last 50 miles of the trip. The cruise control and quieter exhaust made the trip quite pleasant.

Now for the mechanical updates!

I have an EGR compatible edelbrock 4 barrel intake, along with the EGR plate. I want to retain EGR for emissions and gas mileage reasons, it's not easy to find these intakes used but I got a heck of a deal on it. The stock EGR system simply requires a ported vacuum signal, and not its own EGR port like previous systems, so it'll be easy to make it work with any carb.

I also FINALLY found a carb that had everything I want. It's relatively new (came out about a year ago). Edelbrock AVS2 #1906. This carb feature annular booster in the primaries, just like ford had in the the late 70s/80's. This improves atomization, throttle response, and a host of other things. In addition this is a spread bore carb that uses square bore bolt pattern. The quadrajet used this and was known (when running and tuned properly) for its good gas mileage and throttle response. The carb is 650CFM, but the secondaries have an adjustable spring loaded plate that will only give them as much air as it is asking for. I bought this carb new on a black friday sale, my first new carb ever. I'm pretty excited for it.

Now the tricky part. I'm a little crazy, and want to retain the TV rod. Nothing available is compatible with this setup...however I can make it compatible. I already separated the TV rod linkage from my old VV carb, I'm going to make an adapter plate that will hold this linkage and bolt it onto the carb. I'll be sure to post pictures of the process later. This will ensure the correct, factory geometry, and adjustability.

My old 2150 carb will be for sale. It's modified to work with the TV rod, the biggest you can get, and a perfect bolt on to replace a VV carb in these cars. I'm hoping someone will be interested in this as they are hard to find.

Sorry It's not letting me upload pictures, I will as soon as I can
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-29-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Vac secondaries are a good thing. Variable flow based on engine demands and abilities just makes good sense. Most things do not need a mechanical secondary, thats for motors that go 1/4 mile at a time.

The only other thing I'd really consider besides the factory rod is the factory cable. If you can adapt either an EFI cable or find the hen's teeth 90-91 351 tv cable setup that would be cool. The rod just works. I've dealt with those Lokars before and have only been impressed with just how crappy they are.

Pix as promised!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7843.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	51323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7823.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	51324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7849.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	51327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56523294830__998BDFDD-C7CA-4092-AF4A-541DC2B8A5C2.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	51326

Yeah I really like the rod configuration. It's so simple, and like you said, it works. It's technically a mechanical secondary, with a vacuum actuated plate. So i guess you could say it's a hybrid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7844.jpeg  
    -Phil

All vac secondaries are like that. The throttle plate is opened mechanically, but the air doors open only when there is enough demand to pull them open. Fuel is added when the air door opens. Purely mechanical secondaries don't have the air door, they open whenever the throttle is opened far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Vac secondaries are a good thing. Variable flow based on engine demands and abilities just makes good sense. Most things do not need a mechanical secondary, thats for motors that go 1/4 mile at a time...
    This.

So often I see junk listed for sale with some absurd CFM double-pumper (why does that sound so dirty?) slapped on top of stock, moldy engine. As if flushing a toilet equates to more horsepower. Ya got it all wrong, Cletus...

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

I used Edelbrock 3783 and 8053 (intake/ EGR spacer) on my '90 P72. The cast iron EGR spacer for an '85 GT is a better option, and I do have one somewhere. It will withstand the heat better.

The Edelbrock 1406 served me well, but it was a compromise of drivability, and performance. I fiddled with it religiously and either got decent mileage, or it ran and performed great. Hopefully the AVS2 performs better.

I never met a double pumper I didn't like. I can't speak for fuel economy, but from a performance perspective I have never had an out of the box or "tuned" VS carb provide the SOTP feel that a MS carb does.

Additionally, cfm ratings are just a flow rate measured at a a certain negative pressure, and should never be the sole deciding factor in carburetor choice. A NA engine will only take as much air as it needs. I think you chose the correct size for a 351 at your VE level, and it will leave you some room to grow.

Regarding retaining the rod, have you considered a Silverfox VB that doesn't require precise TV adjustment? I had one in my '87 coupe and it was marvelous, despite the Lokar nonsense.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Vineyard car
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

Interesting, I'm new to the 4BBL world, I assumed there was a vacuum diaphragm that would pull open the secondary throttle blades at a certain point, sort of like how the VV actuated its upper sliders. That's good to know

I have a cast iron EGR spacer from a truck that came with it, however someone welded repairs onto the machine surface and it appeared to be leaking exhaust gases into the secondaries. Nathan, if you're able to find your EGR plate would you want to sell it? Looks like i'll need to find another anyway.

As far as the valve body-That's probably more of a money thing than anything else. Currently the bracket is going well, however I've realized with the current design I cannot keep the cruise control attachment. I just have to work out another design if I want to keep it.
    -Phil

Whats the issue with the cruise, attaching the cable to the carb or mounting the cable to the intake? I don't remember if I saw what that setup actually looks like.

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

Phil, I will look for the one I had, but no promises. Its been over 10 years since I last saw it.

Found this one below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-EGR-Pl...L~~S:rk:1:pf:0

And Edelbrock 8053 is always an option, albeit a little expensive.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Vineyard car
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829