No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah! I think you and John are the only ones I know with them. Mine broke apart and the spring came out, but its not that bad to repair. I was able to wind it a bit tighter too, as it had problems fully retracting. Where did you mount yours? I think john has his on the fender with a separate switch
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post623730

Pretty much the stock location. link above is from ages ago.

It is just ever so slightly wearing itself into the tubular upper intake at the very front corner of the plenum.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks good! Okay yours is at a slightly different angle than mine, I wasn't sure if these cars ever came with one, so i just lined it up to where i though fit best, and used one of the existing light holes.

I should also mention...something big is happening over the next week or two. I plan to go up to CT and Nick and I will remove the engine and trans, re-gasket everything, and put GT40 heads on it while I'm at it. It should kill with the GT40's and 2 barrel carb! (haha). Eventually I'll get a 4 barrel, don't worry.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Need the stock air horn back on there with the tube all the way to the rad support. Cold air intake bro. Or flip the lid for superior carb sound, those are the only correct options here.

Paint and speakers look much better. Old foam sucks, its the death of a lot of vintage speakers. Kraco speakers weren't all that awesome in the 80s, and they don't exactly improve with age. They do pair properly with a Spark-o-matic tape deck though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I recently watched an "Engine Masters" show on Motor Trend TV where they made more power with - no joking - a stainless steel salad bowl with a hole cut to fit the carb inlet - either with or without one of those K&N flow through lids over the top - than they did with no air cleaner at all.
            Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Need the stock air horn back on there with the tube all the way to the rad support. Cold air intake bro. Or flip the lid for superior carb sound, those are the only correct options here.

Paint and speakers look much better. Old foam sucks, its the death of a lot of vintage speakers. Kraco speakers weren't all that awesome in the 80s, and they don't exactly improve with age. They do pair properly with a Spark-o-matic tape deck though.
            Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

You’ve been busy. Good updates. I’d be very happy with that MPG with a 351 and automatic in a heavy brick at 73MPH.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah, very good. I might be tempted to try the next smallest jet size to lean the mixture out a bit more at cruise. If it makes a negative impact, go back to what you had. I'm a fan of higher combustion chamber temps short of melting pistons. Better for the plugs and results in less carbon smut in the combustion chamber.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I considered doing that, i have #58 jets. that would put me at about 15.1 or so at cruise (on my gauge). But since I'm replacing the heads, and then sooner than later getting a 4 barrel, I'm not sure its worth it, but we'll see, I'm not in a rush to replace the 2 barrel, I just know now when I do, it'll REALLY wake her up.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, try those. At cruise you won't notice anything from the 4bbl if the secondaries are vacuum operated, which they should be With new heads maybe, I'm not sure. Be a good idea to swap the cam out while you're there, no?
                    I tuned mine on my '69 Plymouth to only open with your foot in it. Before I knew diddly about a carb they were open on the highway which was dismal for fuel economy. No wonder I never understood what people meant when they said "Feel the secondaries kick in."
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It would be a great idea if i could afford it, and if we had time. Its flat tappet so it would need a break in cycle too.

Have to yank the engine/trans, re-gasket and install heads, and reinstall in 3 days, ill be doing this in Connecticut so if its not done in time, i cant get home!
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Gonna be fun!
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It would be really interesting to see what just a head change does on the dyno. Previously i was 170hp/271tq on the dyno. It would be a different dyno...but never the less it would be still be interesting.
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

You should be able to crack 300 RWTQ easily. The heads that came on 351 panthers were not even remotely high performance, nor as was the camshaft. Plenum likely isn't anything to write home about either (not sure if you swapped in something else). But it's all easily fixed, because SBF aftermarket!

Do get what you mean about flat tappet camshafts, and how their irksome break in period is in direct opposition to your goal of timely install. Less working, more driving! Vroom.
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

The heads and intake are probably the biggest choker, though the cam ain't so hot either. If you can move more air through the heads and intake though, the stock cam should still be acceptable.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

300RWTQ would be great with my 2BBL... Yeah the stock cam and valve springs made good power through the range on the dyno...no valve float in the upper RPM range. I think with heads and intake the cam will do nicely. Im not looking for anything crazy, just trying to keep up with modern sedans really.

Doing some research the valve springs on the 351W HO in the trucks and police sedans were the same ones used in the 82 mustang...specifically, and an article about the 82 mentioned that the new springs for that year enabled it to be used up to 6000RPM...so i take that as kind of promising.

I guess i should mention im re-using my valve springs on the new heads. I know its not ideal, and its not entirely by choice, but the springs it come with are very strong, strong enough to potentially wipe my lobes.
                                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X