PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

View Poll Results: What type of exhaust tips should I get?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight out the back like the current POTM has

7 58.33%
  • The look i had before with the tips pointed downward out the back

5 41.67%
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice!!!

I was/am going to run 2015 Explorer wheels when I am done with my bigger big brake swap. I just have to wait until the machine shop opens up again to get the wheels bored out a bit.

Stance looks perfect!
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

looking mean Phil.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thanks guys!
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.

Nice looking rig ya got there man. Those dog dishes make me weak in the knees. Love them.
    Car sits nice.
    All FORD All The Time

I love the dog dishes too- eventually I'll adapt some dodge 17" steelies to accept them.

Finally got around to re-tuning the carb. I had been getting 16MPG highway on long trips for the last year, going around 72. In the past I had always got 18. The wideband said i was cruising rich (high 13's low 14's, with it way to rich when it went into the power mode (like 12's). I changed the rods a couple of times and got it cruising lean (maybe 15.3:1, and power mode in the high 13's). This normally would be too lean for me...but there was no drivability issues.

I drove 350 miles and filled up twice. I got 20MPG the first time, which i thought was a fluke, however the second time i filled up i got 21MPG! I'm pretty damn happy about that. I'm sure the slightly better aerodynamics helped as well.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

You can also change the springs under the metering rod pistons to alter where they start to pull if its more a matter of when the enrichment comes in vs how much. Too strong of a spring and it will want to be in enrichment mode in cruise which isn't useful. Too weak of a spring and you'll get a lean bog before engine vac drops enough to let the metering rod lift and add fuel.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

That’s great MPG. Carbs can do well if well tuned.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Oh yes, I have a whole spring kit, and far too many rods and jets. Thankfully havenít had to mess with the springs since I originally tuned it. (I canít wait for fuel injection!) it may get good mileage but hard hot starts and having to mess with the choke with each temperature change is annoying... being able to control the fuel and spark with a touch screen will be awesome!

do you have a carb spacer? that helps with hot soak problems. Return type fuel system can help too. Otherwise, foot to the floor and crank it.

shouldn't have to mess with the choke constantly. If its right it ought to be good enough for most of the weather we get here.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I do have a phenolic spacer- my old 2150 carb didnít require much messing with the choke. This edelbrock is very finicky. The fuel ratio bounces around way more too... Iím certain itís no where near the quality of my oem 2150.

whats that use for a choke, just the electric heater? Basically the same as the 2150 right?

sitting here doing mindless repetitive work and I had a thought. What are you powering the electric choke from? IIRC the stock setup used alternator stator supply at ~9v. I expect the Eddy choke wants full battery voltage. That might be why the choke is moody. Low voltage would make it open more slowly than it should.

I suspect the same...I dont suspect that its the problem though just that I went through the same thing recently with dads new engine in is 85. We were giving it stator voltage and when reading the carbs booklet (holly street warrior or something) it said it wants 12v.

Thain this carb has no return fuel...dad has been having to step on gas somewhat to get car to fire after running...hot.
    ~David~

never seen a carb with return fuel, it would be in the fuel pump or regulator setup. 85 should have been factory carb. Don't know if that had a 3 line fuel pump or not. If it does, its got a return setup. The idea with those is moving more volume of fuel keeps it cooler since it doesn't just sit there and heat soak. It also gives the fuel someplace to go when you shut the engine off and the fuel gets hot and expands. Instead of just blowing past the needle in the carb and flooding it goes back to the tank. That helps with the "floor it to start when hot" problem.

might also be interesting to know if the choke is trying to close even when the engine is hot but key-off. I'd think there should be enough heat in the engine bay to keep it open but maybe not.

a related thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6geNGbEXM

Yeah its just an electric choke- It's hooked up to battery voltage with the key on. Its more a matter of not coming on with the hot weather (75+) so i adjust it, and it works fine. then if the temperatures drop to say 50, it'll be on too long. So i adjust it to that, then if it heats up (talking ambient temperature) it wont come on enough again. So i have to change it a few times a year, or just deal with it
    -Phil

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    never seen a carb with return fuel, it would be in the fuel pump or regulator setup. 85 should have been factory carb. Don't know if that had a 3 line fuel pump or not. If it does, its got a return setup. The idea with those is moving more volume of fuel keeps it cooler since it doesn't just sit there and heat soak. It also gives the fuel someplace to go when you shut the engine off and the fuel gets hot and expands. Instead of just blowing past the needle in the carb and flooding it goes back to the tank. That helps with the "floor it to start when hot" problem.

might also be interesting to know if the choke is trying to close even when the engine is hot but key-off. I'd think there should be enough heat in the engine bay to keep it open but maybe not.

a related thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6geNGbEXM

I obviously know nothing about carbs. Must be the fuel pump that was provided with the blueprint 306 engine that does not have a return port....
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post

UTG good stuff!

10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

yeah, he's cool. He's the kind of guy I could hang out with.

I post a lot...

There is much to be said good & bad about a manual choke. If you are going to be carbed why not.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast