No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow haven't updated this in a while. I know pix are king, but i don't have them right now so I'll take some tomorrow.
    I installed everything in my previous list except the ball joints and vacuum advance.

I recently failed emissions. After extensive testing, I ripped the VV, wiring, and computer out. Bought two 2150 carbs I had to combine to get the correct linkage for the TV rod on the right carb, rebuilt it and threw it on the car. After tuning, I passed emissions, and on the recent trip to Scotts meet, i got 18.8 mpg going, and 17 mpg coming, a big increase in my 15.5mpg wall i was hitting with the ailing VV. Smog stuff is getting ripped out soon as well.

Installed SEM coated mint B-pillar covers, and SEM coated steering column covers, the interior is finally looking in nice shape after many years of disrepair due to sun damage.

I also have a set of 16" police steelies that will eventually be put on the car, with a modification to make my baby moon caps fit, as I want to keep the original look, with the handling benefits of the smaller side walls.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Phil, you gonna have some sort of tabs welded onto the wheels to make the centers fit the newer wheels?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Phil, you gonna have some sort of tabs welded onto the wheels to make the centers fit the newer wheels?
        I think the plan involved the wire wheel hubcap holders...

Comment

Ooohhhhh.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Loving this LTD. Looks awesome!
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Remove computerey junk, start passing emissions. Go figure.

IIRC, Nathan in MI said that with attention, the VV can do better on gas as well. I was able to get as good as 19mpg with a 500cfm AFB, but good luck convincing inspection people that's stock.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I was going to have tabs welded on, but after talking with Ivan decided that using the hubcap holders and modifying a set of baby moons is easier and potentially safer.
                I did get 19MPG with the VV once, before it began to go...despite the rebuild and adjustments I made, i just couldn't get it to run right. It was leaking out of areas it shouldn't have, pretty sure it was worn beyond repair.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

sometimes the only fix is to send it to the aluminum recycler. I had carbs like that on the Beetle. They were well and truly shot. I think the Qjet on Scott's dump truck is also in that category.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats a good looking ride! Dig the sexy chocolate color
                    Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      sometimes the only fix is to send it to the aluminum recycler. I had carbs like that on the Beetle. They were well and truly shot. I think the Qjet on Scott's dump truck is also in that category.
                      Qjets are known for egging out the primary throttle plate shaft, causing all kinds of erratic conditions.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Reminds me, I found my Q-jet cores, can still send them Tremontwards if desired.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Qjets are known for egging out the primary throttle plate shaft, causing all kinds of erratic conditions.
                          It does have that problem among others. It acts like only one side works, but that might just be symptomatic of a massive air leak on that side. It is the worst running Qjet I've ever dealt with, and I've put together some shittastic Qjets on boats before. Its either that, or its got a cracked intake. I really don't know, but it acts like it basically runs on 4 cylinders. It doesn't idle well and it doesn't like to rev or start, basically all of the things a carb needs to do. If you can get it lit off, it will only idle if its at 1200 or so and it dies with any load on it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I got the LTD out of the garage this week after a couple months of storage. I replaced the heater hoses, as they looked like they were about to burst. I then proceeded to rip out the smog pump and plumbing. I used a short piece of the blue silicone tube i was using for the smog stuff, and a massive 3/4" bolt and hose clamp to seal it off at the cats, and put some 5/8-11 bolts in the back of the heads. As you can see from my one picture, i have to cut it in half for ease of insulation tomorrow, they are sticking out.

For all those curious, I ended up using a 60" belt for the A/C. This is with the 351, not sure what you 302 dudes are using, however I'm curious to know.

Next up is cleaning up that MESS of wires in the engine bay, and securing the gauge box in the cabin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1273897Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1273898Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1273899
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

hmm... so 5/8-11 half inch long would probably be a perfect bolt for that hole in the heads?

I may have to replace the cut cross over tube patchwork on the 88.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Most likely, I bought bolts that are 1.25" long, and i think they will go all the way in, but it's a pain to thread them in that far-the threads in the heads are probably full of rust. So if you can find 1/2" ones, go for it!
                                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X