No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to get the same compressor when I took the stock springs out. I had to modify the compressor by placing a short length of pipe in the thread in order to engage the claws a little earlier. Otherwise, I would be turning and turning that screw and nothing would happen IIRC.

Comment

I hope i wont need it for the newer, shorter spring. id hate to dig into the nice coating
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

You won't need it. The Speedway springs are much shorter than the stock springs. Just stick them in the lower control arm and raise it into the spindle. Rebuilding or taking the front suspension apart afterwards is a much easier process as the Speedway springs will fall out without compression.

Comment

I did the Speedway springs and KYBs. It was not tough at all.
          But then again, the hot wrench and a friends lift makes it easy.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

I helped put the Speedway springs in Tom's old 87 Vic, no compressor needed. The stock ones are a different story.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just about done- everything in the front suspension is essentially new. I also replaced the tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves. (using 96 tie rod ends and box sleeves). It has the intermediate brakes from a 95-97. Not ideal but a good stepping stone for big brakes later on. Rear springs are in as well. The car sits pretty much level with 925 springs up front, and 200's in the rear. I haven't put in the bilstein shocks up front yet, they exert a small amount of upward force. I'm debating cutting 1/3 of a coil off the fronts- even though it measures level, the amount of distance outwards is smaller in the rear, and makes it appear as though the rear is lower. The rear height is perfect, but the front could be slightly lower.

It also looks like i'll have to cut a hole in my upper trunk pan. The Bilstein shocks come with a lock nut, and the shaft has an allen key slot in the end of it, making it impossible to thread on without access.

This whole job was a pain in the ass because i didnt have all the fasteners, and other parts i needed, and had to source them individually. So I'm glad it's just about done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1286971 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.jpeg
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1286974 Click image for larger version

Name:	61047300621__7988A2A1-3FD0-4726-A72A-25E25A9D0B9E.jpeg
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	1286973
              Attached Files
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I'd give it a little time to see if the springs settle before cutting anything. What spring isolator did you use up front? The one with the ES bushings is a lot thicker than the standard replacement one. Using that will gain ~1/2" of front height.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's had about 4 days to settle- I did use the Poly isolator it came with. My front end dropped 5/8". I wouldnt mind it upwards of 1" lower to be honest. But 1/2" would be sufficient. I also haven't tightened up on the upper or lower control arm bushings
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

How do the '95-'97 brakes and hub assemblies fare compared to the factory box stuff?

The work you've done looks good!

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thank you, I took time to make sure everything was nicely painted.

They are superior in the facts that you have: sealed hub bearings, modern floating caliper designs, and a 1/2" bigger rotor diameter, so 1/4" more of leverage..for what that's worth. Not to mention a selection of modern pad compounds. I think they make the wheel sit out slightly farther, but I didn't take a measurement, and it's slight if it does. All this said, I wouldn't have done it just for this upgrade, its still slight compared to the big brake upgrade. I haven't driven it yet on the new brakes, so I can't comment on brake feel.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Aren't the pads physically bigger too? That will help. Not sure what the piston size is, but if that is bigger than box stuff (63mm I think) that will also give more clamp force.

Comment

The pads are taller, but not longer, so it should provide more leverage. the stock box stuff is weird with one pad longer than the other.

The piston is actually smaller, so less clamping force, but perhaps that will make the braking force more gradual, less “digital” like the box brakes. We shall see
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

other folks have changed the booster to the late one and said the pedal feel improved, so maybe if the brakes don't get you what you want, swapping the booster will.

Comment

Can you run two nuts per shock top in the rear acting as a jamb nut instead of cutting into the truck?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So I ended up just drilling a hole to tighten it down. Much faster, and its in an area no one ever sees.

Car is 100% back together, just needs an alignment. Took her out on a drive to break in the brakes and make sure everything was ok.

WOW. Brakes are progressive and much stronger. It handles corners and bumps with a confidence it didn't have before. It's firmer but the ride quality seems the same, if not better because of how much more stable it feels taking them on. The ride is more akin to a modern car for sure, which I like. I'm sure with an alignment it will make it handle even better.

I did cut 1/3" off the front coil. The front is about 1" lower than it was, and the rear is about the same (as it was sagging a decent amount). It has a 3/4" rake, which i originally didnt plan for, but I really like. The stance give its a bit more of a muscle car look and will help with heavy loads on long trips.

First picture is down level with the car. Second is at standing eye height

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.jpeg
Size:	4.68 MB
ID:	1287034 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4298.jpeg
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	1287036 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.jpeg
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	1287035
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X