PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

View Poll Results: What type of exhaust tips should I get?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight out the back like the current POTM has

7 58.33%
  • The look i had before with the tips pointed downward out the back

5 41.67%
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Thankfully cruise still works perfectly. Not sure on the burnouts yet, but I sure hope so. She sounds wicked when the secondaries open up.

My steering box decided to suddenly start leaking as soon as I got the car running again...so have to look into fixing that
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    ...She sounds wicked when the secondaries open up...
    rrrRRRRwwWWWHAAA!!! -or something like that haha. It is a great sound.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I started pulling apart the front suspension to install speedway lowering springs- halfway through I decided to send back my stock balljoints and do the "intermediate" brake upgrade, so itll be easier to go big brakes when i eventually get bigger wheels. Cheesesteakjim AKA Nick is selling me some powder coated upper arms and spindles, and the lower arms will be new and painted. Upper bushings will be Poly. Once I have the funds I'll be be changing out the KYB's for Bilsteins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4046.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	53954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4048.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	53955
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.

was it sketchy getting the front spring out?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

In the beginning it was, as I misinterpreted some posts that said I could lower the front of the arm with the ball joints out and remove it. Seeing that I could not do that, I used a spring compressor that goes inside of the spring and then unbolted the control arm to remove it. The other side will go a lot smoother knowing this

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I had to get the same compressor when I took the stock springs out. I had to modify the compressor by placing a short length of pipe in the thread in order to engage the claws a little earlier. Otherwise, I would be turning and turning that screw and nothing would happen IIRC.

I hope i wont need it for the newer, shorter spring. id hate to dig into the nice coating
    -Phil

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

You won't need it. The Speedway springs are much shorter than the stock springs. Just stick them in the lower control arm and raise it into the spindle. Rebuilding or taking the front suspension apart afterwards is a much easier process as the Speedway springs will fall out without compression.

I did the Speedway springs and KYBs. It was not tough at all.
    But then again, the hot wrench and a friends lift makes it easy.
    All FORD All The Time

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I helped put the Speedway springs in Tom's old 87 Vic, no compressor needed. The stock ones are a different story.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just about done- everything in the front suspension is essentially new. I also replaced the tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves. (using 96 tie rod ends and box sleeves). It has the intermediate brakes from a 95-97. Not ideal but a good stepping stone for big brakes later on. Rear springs are in as well. The car sits pretty much level with 925 springs up front, and 200's in the rear. I haven't put in the bilstein shocks up front yet, they exert a small amount of upward force. I'm debating cutting 1/3 of a coil off the fronts- even though it measures level, the amount of distance outwards is smaller in the rear, and makes it appear as though the rear is lower. The rear height is perfect, but the front could be slightly lower.

It also looks like i'll have to cut a hole in my upper trunk pan. The Bilstein shocks come with a lock nut, and the shaft has an allen key slot in the end of it, making it impossible to thread on without access.

This whole job was a pain in the ass because i didnt have all the fasteners, and other parts i needed, and had to source them individually. So I'm glad it's just about done.

Name:	IMG_4043.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	54134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4204.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	54137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61047300621__7988A2A1-3FD0-4726-A72A-25E25A9D0B9E.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	54136
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4081.jpeg  
    -Phil

I'd give it a little time to see if the springs settle before cutting anything. What spring isolator did you use up front? The one with the ES bushings is a lot thicker than the standard replacement one. Using that will gain ~1/2" of front height.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

it's had about 4 days to settle- I did use the Poly isolator it came with. My front end dropped 5/8". I wouldnt mind it upwards of 1" lower to be honest. But 1/2" would be sufficient. I also haven't tightened up on the upper or lower control arm bushings
    -Phil

How do the '95-'97 brakes and hub assemblies fare compared to the factory box stuff?

The work you've done looks good!

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Thank you, I took time to make sure everything was nicely painted.

They are superior in the facts that you have: sealed hub bearings, modern floating caliper designs, and a 1/2" bigger rotor diameter, so 1/4" more of leverage..for what that's worth. Not to mention a selection of modern pad compounds. I think they make the wheel sit out slightly farther, but I didn't take a measurement, and it's slight if it does. All this said, I wouldn't have done it just for this upgrade, its still slight compared to the big brake upgrade. I haven't driven it yet on the new brakes, so I can't comment on brake feel.
    -Phil

Aren't the pads physically bigger too? That will help. Not sure what the piston size is, but if that is bigger than box stuff (63mm I think) that will also give more clamp force.

The pads are taller, but not longer, so it should provide more leverage. the stock box stuff is weird with one pad longer than the other.

The piston is actually smaller, so less clamping force, but perhaps that will make the braking force more gradual, less “digital” like the box brakes. We shall see

other folks have changed the booster to the late one and said the pedal feel improved, so maybe if the brakes don't get you what you want, swapping the booster will.

Can you run two nuts per shock top in the rear acting as a jamb nut instead of cutting into the truck?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

So I ended up just drilling a hole to tighten it down. Much faster, and its in an area no one ever sees.

Car is 100% back together, just needs an alignment. Took her out on a drive to break in the brakes and make sure everything was ok.

WOW. Brakes are progressive and much stronger. It handles corners and bumps with a confidence it didn't have before. It's firmer but the ride quality seems the same, if not better because of how much more stable it feels taking them on. The ride is more akin to a modern car for sure, which I like. I'm sure with an alignment it will make it handle even better.

I did cut 1/3" off the front coil. The front is about 1" lower than it was, and the rear is about the same (as it was sagging a decent amount). It has a 3/4" rake, which i originally didnt plan for, but I really like. The stance give its a bit more of a muscle car look and will help with heavy loads on long trips.

First picture is down level with the car. Second is at standing eye height

Name:	IMG_4301.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	54199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4298.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	54201 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4299.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	54200
    -Phil

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast