No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a lot better than pulling it in 20 degree temps, which it seems i work in far to often! XD.

Don't worry Mark it's all yours!

Yes i found it was necessary the first time in 2018 when we pulled the engine. The hoist is a beast, rated up to 4000 pounds, I could theoretically pick up the whole car with it! I got it and the engine stand for free, just had to replace the hydraulic ram

I also just ordered performance spark plug wires... i realized that mine were original from when i got the car (still going strong!) and potentially over 25 years old
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 03-18-2021, 07:38 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

An exciting day. To become a car with go power, a car must first humble itself and become a car with no power.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've got the usual Horror Freight one, and have used others that are just like it. Those are rated for I think 500 lbs all the way out, so no engine+trans extraction. Towncars are longer anyway, my front plate is bashed up from doing the engine in that car, and it was still not quite enough hoist to not be a pain in the ass .
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7036.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1288759Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7037.jpeg
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1288760

Always hated these BBK headers... expensive coating failed after a year, had some leaks, broken weld. Well they are still screwing me over. The gasket is about the size of the ports on the new head. They welded them on the inside to make them look nice, but its extremely restrictive. I have some tungsten carbide dremel bits coming tomorrow, I'm going to really open them up, sand and paint them with some VHT paint...maybe the coating will last 1 more year...
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

also have to hope there will be enough weld to hold things together once you do.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Headers ported nicely- no holes that I could see. Painted them with VHT high temp stuff...we will see if it even lasts a year.

Got the WR-AOD from Zach (big thanks to him for meeting me halfway!) I'm re-sealing it, checking the valve body, and cleaning it before praying and putting it in behind the engine.

Engine is just about done, a few minor things and it will be ready for install on the 14th!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7281.jpeg
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1288838Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7283.jpeg
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1288839
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

That looks amazing! Hope it runs great too!
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Engine is looking tough. Hope it all goes smoothly.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That engine looks mean. Should look great once its in the car!

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'm ready for a ride.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you guys! I'm ready for a ride too haha. BTW Tiggie I like that quote "To become a car with go power, a car must first humble itself and become a car with no power."
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Badass, defined.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Engine got pulled out on St. Patricks day, went back in about a month ago and have had dumb fitment issues since. Finally got it running and driving today at long last.

Issues:

+Roller rockers are massively noisy.
                              +It needs to be tuned better, im waiting on the wideband, but the idle circuit seems lean no matter how i adjust it, timing is way off (it pings with the vacuum advance connected), and it doesn't seem to have as much power as it should, havent taken it to anything more than half throttle or 3500rpm
                              +Transmission really clunks into third and fourth if you let your foot off the gas. Also it seems to stick in 3rd or 4th down to a very low speed, bogging the engine, before it downshifts.
                              +Idle is rough, but this could be partially due to the tune and cam
                              +valve covers have a leak
                              +It diesels and backfires when i shut the car off, sometimes very badly.
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

do you have the preload right? Mine got massively quieter once that was sorted. Should be about 1/2 to 1 turn past zero lash, or I think .020 to .060 if you do it with an indicator. Even with the longer pushrods I ended up needing different shims on each one to get it right. The pushrods were not consistent length. Some of mine have none, some have the thin shim, and at least one has a fat shim. I ended up doing it one cylinder at a time, going by the firing order and just rotating the crank 90 degrees between each one.

sure there aren't any vac leaks? Constantly lean idle is usually either a leak or some problem in the carb. Lean running also tends to make things ping, but so does excessive timing advance. Lean running also makes the plugs hot, which makes it prone to dieseling.

Comment

Working...
                                X