1987cp's new '81 LTD 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alive!

Funny thing, the engine works a lot better with a fuel pump that isn't fragged. Removed the old pump and worked it by hand - nothing. Pulled out the pump I'd had on the '87 wagon, worked the lever 2-3 times by hand, and it covered the floor with fuel, so on it went. Kid'd been napping upstairs, woke up and came down to inform me that something was "TOO YOUD!"

Now I get to hook up the cooling system and get the initial tuning adjustments underway. At least there's a little more motivation to do so now that I've heard something run.

Sill annoying that a fuel pump should frag just because it sat for 2 years.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The rubber dries out and cracks. Be glad it was totally dead. Usually when they start to go, they fill the crankcase up with gas before failing completely. I once saw a Ford 300 that was filled almost to the top of the dipstick with an oily gas mix from a dead pump. It made slightly funny noises afterward.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Eek! That sounds awful. Makes me wonder whether it's worth the $17 (well, apparently $22 now) to gamble that the "new" one is still fully good as well. Though, this pump has "only" been sitting since 5/09, versus the other one that'd been sitting since 7/07. Still, though .....
        Last edited by 1987cp; 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

What motor is in this again? Good to see you're getting back on the road.

Comment

On the road? Not for a little while yet! Still gotta attend to lot more annoying details, like reassembling the cooling system, putting fluid in the brakes, doing whatever I'm going to do with the transmission pan (I have one ready with a drain plug in it). Oh, and putting a bumper on the rear of the car. The cops here are funny like that.

Shortblock is the original from the Colony Park, 100% factory except for rings and bearings and a light hone and polish. Heads are rebuilt E7s, with an Explorer cam, E4 intake, 9501 carb, and eBay-special HEI distributor. Assembled to run basically as-new for minimal outlay.

Comment

Cruddy video

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,3050.0.html

This was with it sucking fuel out of a gas can ... idled like that for a long time, got up to temperature and all, and let me set the timing and idle speed and mixture. I'm suspecting there might be a defect somewhere upstream in the fuel system, so I'm planning to investigate that sometime when it seems convenient to wheel the car outside and get underneath it. Worst case, I can always redo the whole thing from tank to engine, but with luck it'll be something simpler like replacing the hose to the pickup or changing the pickup screen (I have a spare hiding here somewhere ....).

Comment

More progressness?

Well, after delays and more delays and annoyances and yet more delays in getting my act together, I just got inside from driving the car up and down the driveway under its own power! There were a couple of annoyances on the way to this fairly minor accomplishment, such as forgetting that the transmission fills more properly if the engine is running whilst filling it, then discovering that all my spare batteries are flat and losing lots of time charging one (and concluding that my automatic battery charger isn't working right when it got really hot while not charging the battery efficiently), and finally scratching my head at spurtage from both cooler line connections only to discover that my idiot mechanic hadn't so much as snugged the line nuts. The shift linkage still needs adjustment, but at least I'm able to reliably get it into both Drive and Reverse, and the brakes and power steering are working acceptably, so I no longer have to push it everywhere by hand. And yes, while still far from being anything remotely special, it's several tad-bits perkier than with the 255 under the bonnet. :p

The best part is that my to-do list is now shortened, but there are still several important items to address:

- Seatbelts
                - Turn signals
                - Wipers
                - Vacuum line to transmission modulator
                - New Windshield
                - Liability insurance!

In the meantime, I'm going to find it a little bit challenging to continue to leave it parked!

Comment

Slight problem ... sort of. Either the car is light enough or the RS-A tires non-tractive enough, and/or the Exploder cam torquey enough, that I'm already leaving tire tracks on the driveway! Will have to be careful so as not to be cited for noise violation ("intentionally squealing the tires of any motor vehicle" is explicitly defined as one mode of noise violation). Odd contrast with the Vic refusing to spin a tire even if you try.

Comment

I'd sit there in the driveway and spin them until they pop.

But thats just me.

Here's your inspiration.

**2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

New windshield? Nice. Vacuum line to trans? Funky AOD you got in there...

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                        New windshield?
                        Eventually. Maybe. I hope.

Funky AOD you got in there...
                        Quite!

Comment

sweet!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have windshield wipers as of a couple days ago. The mount for the wiper motor fought me a bit, but it's in, and better yet, the wipers work correctly. Seems a little odd how the base-model setup operates the sprayer without bumping the wipers a few times like on every other car I've driven, but it'll probably be sort of convenient sometimes. And for that matter, I think this is the only car I've driven that doesn't feature delay wipers - only high, low, and park.

I've been soaking the stuck rear seatbelt bolt in PB Blaster so I can get the belts out and either degrease them or swap in belts that aren't oily, after which I can more reasonably hope to get the rear seat base installed. Have I mentioned how cruddy this old seat material is compared to what the police models used by 1986-7?

Other than that ... hm, let's see. It's really driving pretty decently, just a slight annoyance with the kickdown rod hanging on my carelessly-located vacuum line to the brake booster. And judging by shift-versus-indicated-speed, the 1-2 shift is happening sooner than I'd hoped after going to the trouble of lightening the governor weight, but then I noticed the fluid level was low - and I haven't yet bothered to hook up a tach to verify shift points for certain.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I can harvest my 2" tailpipes off the wagon and whittle up some bushings so I can install them with the 2.25"-out mufflers without modification. Then if the Rumblemasters turn out to still be too loud, I'll consider substituting the Walker mufflers I have on hand that are a direct fit in a 2.25"-to-2" application.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The rubber dries out and cracks. Be glad it was totally dead. Usually when they start to go, they fill the crankcase up with gas before failing completely. I once saw a Ford 300 that was filled almost to the top of the dipstick with an oily gas mix from a dead pump. It made slightly funny noises afterward.
                              A friend of mine was a tech at a local shop and he had a S10 Blazer with a bad fuel pump that did that. He thought he drained all the fuel out of the crankcase but I guess there were still fumes because when he started it the fumes ignited and launched the left side valve cover across the shop. He was deaf in his right ear for a week.
                              1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Vacuum line to trans? Funky AOD you got in there...
                                Its called a C4 :smirk:
                                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                                sigpic
                                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X