Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to install the tripminder, you will need to remove the dashpad, along with the usual stuff required to pull the old clock assembly.after the pad is removed, you will see the sensor for the automatic headlamps directly behind the instrument panel.Using a short phillips screwdriver, remove the two screws holding the sensor in place, and move to the side. Just under that, is the plug already in place for the tripminder. You might have to look through the windshield from the outside to actually see it, like I did. Of course this also applies if you are removing one from another box to install in your own. IIRC, there was one of those plastic pins between the tripminder, and the connector, that held the harness to the underside of the sheetmetal sub dash, but i didn't bother rehooking it when putting everything back together. The actual harness branches off in two directions. Left to the plug for the tripminder, and back to the clock harness. BTW, my tripminder works great, and i don't have a hacked up harness. Just remember, this applies to 89, and earlier boxes.
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

so for anybody looking to put one in, its a piece of cake. chrsitine already has one tho,lol. the only prob is if you don't have factory cruise
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Well I got around to tinkering with my GM today, but got a really late start (like an hour ago), and here's what I found.

My car doesn't have the harness for the tripminder. I pulled apart the dash to see if it was hidden behind anything, and it was nowhere to be found.

I also checked the plug I found under the dash that I thought would be for the tripminder, but it just wouldn't work. First because it has way too many wires needed for the TM, and secondly because the plug physically wouldn't fit due to it being keyed differently.

I'm guessing that for the plug to be factory installed, and just waiting to be used hidden in the dash you have to have cruise control installed from the factory. It kind of makes sense because without the speed sensor necessary for the cruise control to function the tripminder wouldn't work anyway.

So I'm going to have to modify the existing harness.

It's not that big of a deal really. I only have to add 2 wires to the existing harness, and splice in the new plug. (along with adding the VSS and splicing into pin 34 at the ECM)

Being that I'm really lazy, and got such a late start today I'm just going to add the new harness, mount the tripminder, and leave lengths of wire coiled up behind the dash for the VSS and the fuel so that whenever I get around to it I wouldn't have to pull the dash apart again.

Also while I had everything apart I figured I'd fix a couple of gremlins in the instrument cluster, and install new speakers.

More to come later....

-Paul

Comment

This is a great article!

Stickified!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I have cruise control and i still dont see it somewhere they say its taped up teh teh other wires so you will have to un ravel the tape to unvail it.. I dunno i goin back outside to finish up and see if i find it if not then i'll just put shit back together for now.
            The Best

Comment

Update:

The Tripminder is in, but not complete.

I ran into a stumbling block with the actual Tripminder unit itself. After I spliced in the new 10 plug I decided to test it out before I put everything back together. I'm sure glad I did because none of the buttons on the TM worked! :cuss:

When I pulled it from a car in the yard I just put a battery to the unit just to see if was dead or not.

So.... I had to pull the unit apart to clean the contacts for each button.

Each button is simply a dimpled piece of metal mounted over a contact soldered on the PCB. I just ran a piece of sandpaper between the contact, and the dimpled metal to scrape off all the oxidation.

Before I reassembled the TM I temporarily wired it up to test the buttons.
              It worked! :banana:

So being that the TM was all apart I also cleaned the LCD glass, and the tinted, plastic window on the housing.

Here it is as of now.

Like with others that installed the TM only the clock, calendar, and Elapsed time work. I added the two wires needed for the rest of the functions to the plug, wrapped them in black tape, snaked them under the dash, and zip tied them out of the way until I can finish the project (which hopefully will be tomorrow).

So anyway... 'till tomorrow....

-Paul

Comment

Ok i found the vss wire its dark green with a white strip and I found it coming from the side of the tranny.Its hooked up to teh tripminder harness. Now that leaves me with one wire the fuel flow i pulled the harness off the EEC-IV and no pin 34 wire nothing is at pin 34...Now im lost any help?
                The Best

Comment

Now that leaves me with one wire the fuel flow i pulled the harness off the EEC-IV and no pin 34 wire nothing is at pin 34...Now im lost any help?
                  I'm probably going to face the same thing, but I haven't looked at the ECM yet. If I don't have anything in pin 34 like you don't I'll just grab an ECM connector out of a junker just to get a metal pin for the harness to add for the TM.

I cropped another segment of a wiring diagram for the pin out of the ECM. It looks like pin 34 is used ONLY for the Tripmnder.

If that's the case then just disconnect the battery, unbolt the 10MM bolt that holds the connector to the ECM, and add a pin w/wire. Then route the the newly installed wire through a grommet (the cruise control grommet would be nice), and run it to the Tripminder.
                  ... and that's it! :jumpin:

-Paul

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I was mad as hell after i got that far and no wire.. Is teh pins easy to get out? I'll try it at a junk yard this weekend before i do it to my oown car.I see we are the heads on this project..LOL I guess everyone is waitin to see if we get ours workin correct.
                    The Best

Comment

You guys rock! :headbang:
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I was mad as hell after i got that far and no wire.. Is teh pins easy to get out?
                        If it was easy everyone would have it!

Actually.. ya gotta admit.. this is actually pretty easy stuff. I mean.. two wires?

I haven't pulled or added any wires to an ECM connector yet, but I can't imagine it being that hard. The pin is probably just like any other.. just slip an awl or similar pionty object into the pin to remove it from the old harness, and snap it into the new one. Then just pud a dab of silicone over it to protect it being that it's not inside the passenger compartment.

To be really slick find a wire on the junk ECM connector that's long enough, and has the same colors to run directly to the TM!

If it wasn't raining as hard as it is now I'd head out there now. Looks like I'll get to it friday night after work.

You'll see... once it works you'll be happy you did it!

-Paul

Comment

Lol hell yea. But the pins are on teh ecm it self not the harness? and pm me ur aim or yahoo name so we can discuss this a lil later i gotta run.
                          The Best

Comment

The ECM should already have it. You just have to add the pin to the harness to make use of it.

Comment

Oh ok yeah i understand. But check this out i pulled apart my tripminder to clean the contacts and now when i got it all back together the damn thing dont even work .. Wont even come on. So i'll be goin to another yard lookin for ojne hope I dont have a hard time finding it.
                              The Best

Comment

UPDATE:I found another tripminder at a yard today and it worked with no problem. I also hooked up the VSS wire and the speed part works now i just gotta work on that "fuel flow" wire.
                                The Best

Comment

Working...
                                X