Mustang cluster conversion on the Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang cluster conversion on the Merc

I finally got this project mostly completed, so I thought I'd share some pics with you guys.

The cluster is a '94-'98 style Mustang GT unit, with 150mph upper speedometer limit and 7k rpm tach upper limit with 6k rpm indicated redline. The cluster shape itself is shared amongst all '94-'04 SN95s. This cluster (-98) is electrically compatible with the panthers, using a VSS input, and even the same fuel level resistance. Wiring was a matter of moving all the pins around, splicing a few more power and grounds, and tapping my existing tach signal.
    To fit the cluster into the dash opening, it had to be hacked down and a 98-02 panther anti-slosh module was used as it has a narrower end. The face and bezel were unchanged as they are before the dash cluster mounting flanges.

I installed one-off custom gauge overlays I had made by Scott. Some noticeable changes from the factory overlays include the speedometer layout, font, tachometer layout, indicator labels, illumination color (blue -> '98+ panther green) and normal text delete. I wanted to keep a factory-like appearance which we accomplished well.

To trim the opening, I made a (few) customized dash bezel to taper the cluster opening to the Mustang cluster. This was the hardest part of the conversion and I still want to give it one more attempt to get it perfect. Many late nights were spent after work on this! The corners are fiberglassed over a foam core/mold, then bondo and after MUCH sanding glazing putty for final smoothing and last more sanding :P I used a 3M texturizer to duplicate the stock look and painted it semi-gloss black with two coats of matte finish to get the sheen just right.
    The new bezel trims it out nicely and I got the curvature almost dead-on this time, where as the last one had two peaks in the curve which made it just slightly off.. I'm not finished with this one either of course, I would still like to paint to match the factory Willow Green but didn't have time. In the mean time, the black is growing on me.
    I also repositioned the cluster just a tad from where I had originally mounted it, I think I will leave it right where it's at now.

Enough rambling, the pics:

More pictures: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7603/62684

For comparison, here were the factory overlays with one of the previous customized bezels:
    Last edited by drock96marquis; 02-21-2008, 11:08 PM.
    -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
    My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Wow. That's pretty sweet looking! Looks like it belongs there. Nice job mang

Comment

Freakin' sweet!!

1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Holy cow, that looks PERFECT in there! :jawdrop:

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Wow, that's incredible!!!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Just when you think you can't do anything coller with that Merc, you go and surprise us. Great job
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

dam dereck that looks stock nice work I really love your car

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Thanks Gabe, Tom, Nathan, et all
                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                Modifications
                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

looks great man.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I still say I want to do this to my 99.
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

By far, the most unique aero Marq I've seen. And everything looks like it belongs on the car!

I love the work you do on this thing... never get rid of this car.
                      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

wow!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

good job
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

looks wicked

Comment

very nice indeed. I had to go digging around for what the stock cluster looks like. The Mustang one does indeed look very authentic in there.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X