No announcement yet.

tow rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as far as i am concerned, my old mans 1985 colony park with its intensive chasis mods, its like a half ton pick up with less chasis twist.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

blaze86 thats impressive. i like your choice in brake controlers, i use one at work, it's the best one i,ve used. i would would be very comfortable driving your set up.
      88 crown vic lx 5.0:3gears:gone but not forgotten
      now a 99 MGM

gone crazy: be back soon?

Comment

I'm considering towing a 3,000 lb military trailer with surge brakes approximately 3,000 miles. My wagon is not set up for towing but I do have new load leveling coil shocks all around. A few questions:
        1. Should I consider changing out the springs or adding helpers?
        2. What is the stock differential ratio for a non towing package wagon?
        3. Has anyone ever put a class III hitch on their wagon and what brand would you recommend?

Thanks!

Mike Pop
        sigpic
        Mike Pop
        Eureka, NV & Neptune, NJ
        1985 Crown Vic Fire Department Sedan: 351M, Police Package
        1984 Lincoln Town Car Roadster: Saw it's fate at the junk yard
        1987 Crown Vic Wagon: FOR SALE
        Military Vehicles: 1985 Mercedes Unimog, 1952 Jeep M38A1, 1985 Chevy CUCV M1009 Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Junormaneureka View Post
          I'm considering towing a 3,000 lb military trailer with surge brakes approximately 3,000 miles. My wagon is not set up for towing but I do have new load leveling coil shocks all around. A few questions:
          1. Should I consider changing out the springs or adding helpers?
          3. Has anyone ever put a class III hitch on their wagon and what brand would you recommend?

Thanks!

Mike Pop
          My

That will be no problem with full size ford/mercury. As long as everything is in good condition. How much is the tounge weight? If it's over 200 you will need to boost the springs from stock.

You can use a Class 2 hitch. I tow 3500 with my Class 2 hitch.

There is no set rear end ratio, have to check the code on the door.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Junormaneureka View Post
            Per 1987 Ford Broshure:
            Standard for 1987 was 2.73's, 3.08's were standard in some parts of the country and standard with any optional suspension. 3.55 is included in the Heavy-Duty Towing Package.

Of course that leaves out 3.27's, which my '87 came with. I've seen a lot of 2.73's and 3.27's in standard '87 cars.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
              Actually, they are the only car on the road still designed like a truck. And for all intensive purposes they have all the same parts. F150s of the same era had 302s, AODs, and 8.8 rear ends.

But it's all good because I can always un-hook the trailer and have some fun!
              all the same parts except the lovely twin I beam front axles, i dont think we'd have much fun with those...
              '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Working...
              X