No announcement yet.

tow rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

johnnie what type of hitch did you get reese draw-tite? also did you tap into the taillights for the trailer lights?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I'm with 85MercPark when i tow anything with my 89' it turns into a gas sucking dog. OD is totally out of the question, and anything over 60 is expensive and also hard to get to. I have trouble keeping the speed up when i tow, i think the 3.55 i plan on installing will make a difference, but not much.

Compared to my 07' F150 theres no comparison, weekend trips with the boat or camper are fine. But, any sort of regular towing I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

Comment

that 3.55 rear makes a huge difference. I've pulled with my car with an HO with extensive blowby and the cam a tooth off. It performed no better than a stock lopo motor, and it pulled without issue. Held 65 on the highway without much effort. Hills were a bit of a challenge though. Mind you I had factory dual exhaust on the car too, which does help. The stock single exhaust is pretty horrible for performance. Tow package cars got duals for a good reason it seems
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

we got 13.2 mpg on that trip thain

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

considering at the time a normal best was 16, thats not too bad.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              Don't forget to read The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy at TTAC (the truth about cars):

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/edi...ng-conspiracy/
              a good read. i work for a rental company, and we rent trailers. as a rule of thumb our double axle trailer requier a 3/4 ton truck or better. tow dollies; the towing vehical needs to weigh as much or more than what is being towed. our other trialers need to have a hitch and be capible of towing the max weight rating of the trailer. i here all kinds of: i tow a 25 ft rv with this ( 4 cylinder s-10 ball in bumper), or i'm going to take it home and use my big truck(subaru wagon), or it's just a shell (f-150 towing a f-350 crew cab). poeple get mad when i say no. i just don't know why.
              88 crown vic lx 5.0:3gears:gone but not forgotten
              now a 99 MGM

gone crazy: be back soon?

Comment

Well, I used a Curt class III tow hitch, Teknosha Prodigy brake controller, Reese load distributing hitch, a cheap car trailer, and a couple of kick ass cars! All finished as of today and did my test load to setup the load distributing hitch. Car doesn't change pitch at all, I figure once I get the trunk loaded with tools, parts, clothing and supplies for a track weekend it'll be about level. All the pics were taken with 470lbs of tongue weight measured with a digital car scale.

Comment

I like how the plus outlet is hidden away under the bumper what type of conntection is it?
                  7 way round 6 way round?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

7 way

Comment

I need to re-install one of those on my car. It was hacked by the previous owner and the cables left dangling. I halfass spliced a 4 flat in there to tow something and never got around to fixing it right. I'd rather have a socket mounted under the bumper vs a wire hanging under the car anyway, it looks better.

Comment

Johnnie, get a box for the trailer and keep the crap out of the trunk.

I want to start towing myself. Using my sisters V10 F250 Superduty 4x4 is killing me on gas.

Stock panther brakes and added wieght would be scary. Definately need some brake upgrading before towing anything heavy.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Actually, they are the only car on the road still designed like a truck. And for all intensive purposes they have all the same parts. F150s of the same era had 302s, AODs, and 8.8 rear ends.

But it's all good because I can always un-hook the trailer and have some fun!

Comment

Needs more truck nutz!
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

blaze 86 what's the total weight of the trailer and car. and do you know what the combined weight is?
                              88 crown vic lx 5.0:3gears:gone but not forgotten
                              now a 99 MGM

gone crazy: be back soon?

Comment

Trailer Weight: 1281 lbs
                                Celica Weight: 2234 lbs
                                Vic Weight with me in it: 3923 lbs
                                Load leveling hitch: 52 lbs

Total Vehicle Weight: 3975 lbs
                                Total Tow Weight: 3515 lbs

Total Combined Weight: 7490 lbs

Stuff for the trip and what not should not exceed 200lbs including parts. So figure 7700 lbs of total mass. Both axles on the trailer have electric brakes, so every wheel is contributing to the stopping power.

And yes those weights are accurate as I measured everything with a calibrate Longacre Digital 4 corner car scale.
                                Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 03-03-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X