Bulbs for Rear Def/Rear Window/Antenna Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
    It was just one solution offered. All I want is for the damn switch to light up, and the bulbs are unlike anything I've ever seen.

And no, they're not 194s. I dunno if you can tell from the picture, but the bulbs themselves are about the size of a pea. That's why I put the antenna switch in there for comparison. They have nothing to do with the instrument cluster. Or the glove box.
    I know that, I was telling CheeseSteakJim that.

Comment

You can't get the bulbs out of the sockets? Maybe they're the kind that you push in and turn to remove from the socket. Or the screw in kind like a light bulb you would use in a lamp.

Comment

Damn, if only I had seen this thread the last time I had my dash down (to install autodim highbeams). I could've eyeballed everything in there for you. They've got to be 37's... if they're not then I am completely perplexed. 37's are the smallest common automotive bulb I've ever seen, and the smallest we sell at my job.

Comment

I've done my dashboard entirely in blue now, and I thought I'd provide a solution that involves blue LEDs. The bulb in the defroster switch is almost exactly the same size as a 5mm LED. I got some 5500 mcd 5mm blue LEDs from superbrightleds.com

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm

and removed the incandescent bulb from the holder. I then cut the LED's leads down to about the same length and bent them around the same way as the incandescent bulb was. After putting the LED/holder back into the switch, I wired a 680ohm resistor into the illumination wire on the back of the switch, and it worked perfectly. The defroster switch has only one largish (relatively) bulb for switch illumination that sits in the bottom of the switch. The "on" light is an orange light that is integral to the circuitry inside the switch.

On the other hand, the power antenna switch has two smallish bulbs on either end of the switch, but the idea is the same, except you use 3mm LEDs instead of 5mm. I got them from the same website listed above. Pull the incandescent bulbs from the holders, put the LEDs in and bend the legs around. Wire in your resistor and voila!

Since the LEDs are so directional, the lighting isn't too harsh but it's definitely visible at night. They don't work with the dimmer, but I'll bet if you put a higher wattage (I think the one I used is 1/4 watt) resistor in they might.

Pictures to come

Also, I found out that the rear window switch for the CP doesn't illuminate; there is no spot to put a bulb.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
          X