Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First body mod to the wagon... Tucking bumper..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First body mod to the wagon... Tucking bumper..

I really want to narrow the rear bumper on the wagon. There isn't much bodywise other than repaint and re-wood the car. The rear bumpers are aluminum and pretty flat across. Hopfully I'll be able to get another bumper and mess with it.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

I actually had Nathan photchop my tudor with tucked front and rear bumpers a month ago. It provides a subtle streamlining of the box. I am waiting to save up for the re-chroming and then Im gonna be putting them on my GM. If you or anyone wants, I'll try and figure out how to post the photos he did, so you can see the difference it makes.

The Admiral

Comment

Admiral, I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures if you get a chance to throw 'em up here.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I was looking today at the smooth rear bumper on my '81 (no rubber/plastic at all) and thinking it might look good on the wagon. Maybe I'll have to swap it over one of these days just for the heck of it and take some pictures. Still haven't thought to measure the silly things while I'm actually outside, though. I also think a '88-up rear bumper could potentially look pretty nice on a wagon, provided it's not waaaaay too narrow.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 1987cp; 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I don't think it'll fit right.... your early one....

I was considering the 88-91 rear, but it's a bit too short, and it's pretty tall...And then there is the work involved with the filler panel...

3-4 inches out of the stock wagon one I'd think would look nice. Especially on the 88-91 bodystyle. The front is all aero, and the rear is big and boxy. I think just the bumper tuck would make it a lot cleaner.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Fordinator tucked his in further and took out the filler panel. Looked pretty good.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Who's Fordinator? I can't find him on the member list.

Comment

I played around with it before, nothing too major. I'd really like to see one bumper-less but it only works on older cars with some sheet metal behind the bumpers. Someone should recognize this hunk o' junk. lol

-Matt
                1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

He's on CVU. Cool guy really.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    I don't think it'll fit right.... your early one....
                    Well, I swapped it over ... it sort of fits. It'll definitely take a some work for it to really look right ..... (last pic is comparo with stock front bumper to compare dorkiness)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Well, I swapped it over ... it sort of fits. It'll definitely take a some work for it to really look right ..... (last pic is comparo with stock front bumper to compare dorkiness)
                      Michael? Is that rust I see? The CP doesn't deserve that, does it? You should get that fixed pronto, buddy.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Michael? Is that rust I see? The CP doesn't deserve that, does it? You should get that fixed pronto, buddy.
                        Guilty as charged. It's gotten rather a bit worse in spots than I realized. A real fix will just have to wait till I can get a welder!!!

Comment

That bumper tucks in there quite well.
                          -Matt
                          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

that looks great, my old 83 New Yorker's rear bumper stuck out of both sides I kinda caught in on a guide wire of a telephone pole. Long story lol
                            sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
                            [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
                            [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
                            [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

I've decided my biggest whine about the sedan bumper on the wagon is that it makes the car look really fat around the taillights from seen head-on from the rear. I need to get another pic to better illustrate my point. I think I can live with the bottom-heavy look a little more easily unless fairly extensive body mods are planned ... the later sedan bumper still might be fun to play with, since you could make new flush fill panels to really tie things together rather than being stuck with the clash in contour between the bumper ends and the sides of the wagon with the earlier sedan bumper. Definitely be interesting to see what mrltd comes up with after sectioning a bumper and tacking it back together with AlumaWeld.

Comment

Working...
                              X