TV adjustment causes sticky throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV adjustment causes sticky throttle?

So I adjusted the TV cable on mine to hold the gears out a little bit longer than how it was (I believe it was set at stock, where the adjuster block meets the grommet when the throttle is closed) and I increased the pressure a little bit.

I go back to school, and the very next day I get a call from my dad saying that the throttle is sticking open when he starts it. As soon as he pokes the gas a little bit, it unsticks, but after he shuts the motor off, it starts to stick again the next time he starts the motor. This was not happening until I readjusted the TV pressure, and it sort of seems like the TV cable was holding the butterfly valve open a little bit when the throttle was closed. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Is the throttle cable bracket bent? It could be causing the cable to stick a bit. If the bushing wasn't installed properly, it might be causing problems too but just adding more pressure shouldn't make it stick open.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

might just be some gunk in the throttle body that needs cleaned... check vac lines also for a leak. lotsa times the butterfly stics due to crap in there
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
        might just be some gunk in the throttle body that needs cleaned... check vac lines also for a leak. lotsa times the butterfly stics due to crap in there
        I just cleaned out my whole intake when I cleaned out the IAC. It's clean enough to eat off of. Do you think it's possible I damaged the IAC when I cleaned it? All I used was some carb cleaner.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Is the throttle cable bracket bent? It could be causing the cable to stick a bit. If the bushing wasn't installed properly, it might be causing problems too but just adding more pressure shouldn't make it stick open.
          Which bushing? The TV cable grommet attaching the cable to the butterfly valve lever?

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
            Which bushing? The TV cable grommet attaching the cable to the butterfly valve lever?
            yeah, that. If you have the brass one and its installed upside-down it might cause problems. If you have a stock plastic one, nevermind.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pull the linkage again and see if it is the throttle itself sticking.....may need to be cleaned or the stop screw adjusted so it doesent stick also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                yeah, that. If you have the brass one and its installed upside-down it might cause problems. If you have a stock plastic one, nevermind.
                Don't think the one on the car's ever been touched. Actually, when I looked at it last, it was rubber. Did they change it from the plastic one on late model boxes (mines a 91).

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                  pull the linkage again and see if it is the throttle itself sticking.....may need to be cleaned or the stop screw adjusted so it doesent stick also
                  I'll check it out. Thanks, mang.

Comment

go to the Ford dealership and get a brass transmission pressure bushing and throw out the old plastic/rubber one in there. the part number for the ford part is:

F3SZ-7H303-B
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

From the factory it was all a rubber/plastic type, but there was a service part made out of brass to address failure issues with that bushing. If it falls apart, the cable comes undone and it will bake the transmission.

Comment

Been planning on getting one. Thanks for the part #.

Comment

Working...
                        X