No announcement yet.

Diesel --> Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, that's definitely an odd behavior, as the Navistar is pretty much the diesel version of a carbed car - no electronics on that beast, tis all mechanical. You say a clutch, so that rules out the PCM for the E4OD... I'm stumped at that man, but I will ask on my diesel board cause I definitely wanna know more about it, I'll let you know whet the other folks come up with.

By the way, with that 6.2 engine, what tranny are you gonna run behind it? The AOD won't bolt up, neither will a C6. IIRC the GM diesel uses their regular bellhousing bolt pattern (unlike Ford with the diesel specific trannies), which means you can run any TH400 or TH350 you can get your hands on. Believe the 350 is dimensionally smaller than the 400, and so may be more suitable for fitting under the Townie floorpans.

Comment

A th400 would be better suited for that swap as it can handle a little more power. I'll have to find my CC article. Jon, you are a crazy bastard, but I wish you all the luck!
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Aight Jon, we got a reply - the cam sensor does exist, and it does just what you say it does. Also, tis apparently a known issue for the 7.3 diesel... Only one problem, tis the wrong 7.3 diesel - Ford used two very different 7.3 diesels, the Navistar till '94, and the PowerStroke from '94 up, the cam position sensor is a PSD-specific thing.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
          A th400 would be better suited for that swap as it can handle a little more power. I'll have to find my CC article. Jon, you are a crazy bastard, but I wish you all the luck!
          Yeah, but a stock 6.2 is anything but a power beast - they got torque, and they got it pretty much all across the rpm-range, but that's about it. They were designed as low-maintenance long-lasting engines, not neck-snap pull-anything monsters.

Comment

what about the 4Bt cummins?
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Yeah, but I was just saying for the heavy car it wouldn't hurt to put in a beefier tranny. A 4L80E would be best as he could keep overdrive but he'd need a Jet-module to run alone.

Comment

Another update for Jon - apparently both the IDI and the PSD are made by Navistar/International.

As for the Cummins 4BT, those suckers are expensive!

Comment

I looked on the valve cover, says it's a Navistar. I know he's had nothing but trouble with it. It's got gobs of power, it's just the dying thing that's annoying as shit.

*Edit* Just read your PSD IDI Navistar post. Guess the navistar sticker is irrelevant then. The badges on the side just say turbodiesel, must have been before they started putting the PSD badge on.

As for the transmission, from what I've read the 6.2 does indeed share the bellhousing pattern with the 350, I think they can use the same engine mounts and stuff too. I was thinking of going with a manual 5 speed or something, can get slightly better MPG.

The 6.2/6.5 was kind of a diesel answer to the 80's emissions clogged gas motors. Something that gets good mileage but doesn't have much in the power area. I think most NA 6.2's made something in the neighborhood of 150 HP/280 TQ.
                  Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 04-20-2008, 12:06 AM.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I'd love to see the eyebrows raise as you pull up to the diesel pumps with your car.

Comment

oh, so it would be like driving a stock lopo box, but with less pep? Thats the same power figures a SEFI 302 makes.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The power figures are something like that. I can still turn up the fuel and get more power though.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I imagine it would be a power that wouldn't bog down. Sure it might make the same as a lopo, but you wouldn't feel much loss pulling something up hill as you would with a 302. It would constantly feel the same, or thats my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                            I imagine it would be a power that wouldn't bog down. Sure it might make the same as a lopo, but you wouldn't feel much loss pulling something up hill as you would with a 302. It would constantly feel the same, or thats my understanding.
                            And that's exactly how it feels - when I hit an uphill with the cruise engaged the engine speed will just barely go up, maybe like 25rpms or so, worst bog I've seen caused an increase of about 50rpms, which is like straight up laughing in the 302's face.

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
                              The power figures are something like that. I can still turn up the fuel and get more power though.
                              Gotta be careful with that tho, naturally-aspirated diesels don't take much to overfuel, and last thing you need is EGTs in the 1300 range! I have my pump turned up just a tiny bit for this very reason, I can probably go higher (it barely makes smoke at heavy throttle), but without no pyro I'd rather not push my luck in that department. You'll see more power by timing the pump right:
                              http://www.oliverdiesel.com/tech/timing.htm

And screw the luminosity probe and th MT-whatever by Snap-on, that's ancient technology and expensive as hell to obtain, you need this ferret to get the job done:
                              http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...kup=FERV765-01

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
                                From what I've been reading, the 6.2/6.5 are about the same size as a 454.
                                It is the same motor mount dimensions as a 454 with the bell housing of an oldsmobile..

Comment

Working...
                                X