PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 460 swap?

we're all here,cuz we're not all there!!! lwoodblues's Avatar

Default 460 swap?

I have access to a 460 and c6 out of a late 70s pickup. What do you think of this swap in terms of ease. Anyone out there done it, or know of it being done?

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Someone on another forum did it I believe, but I have no details. Maybe MrLTD or GMGT knows who did it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

It depends how easy you personally find doing a swap with custom headers, exhaust, accessory brackets, transmission mount, driveshaft, fuel system and wiring.... Not to mention potential clearance issues with hood, wiper box and heater box....
    It is a significant project which is not for the weak skilled nor light pocket book types....

Fack da Hulk Hogan! Grand Marquis GT's Avatar

It is definately not a project for the inexpirienced.

Mounts, you will have to get creative with. Sanderson makes a set of shorty headers that should work in our chassis though.

I am actually putting together a stroker 460, i'm going to have to get creative with a welder and an assortment of factory accessory mounts.

Oilpan, you can use a fox chassis 460 swap pan, made by Ford Racing.

A lot of the other details will require fabrication, but I think you'd be happy with the swap once you did it. Good luck, and let us know the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post
    Everybody have some of crazy the difference is that some have a little less and some have a little more, I have a little less combined with some of eccentric. :heyhey:

ATT, SNIPER 308. " YOU HAVE TO BE MY EYES " Tomb Raider.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
    this.

if your letting your girlfriend run your life like that, congratulations your a bitch. grab my pocket, i just bought you for two packs of cigarettes.

Lets put cough drops in out buttholes and play video games DuceAnAHalf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
    It is definately not a project for the inexpirienced.

Mounts, you will have to get creative with. Sanderson makes a set of shorty headers that should work in our chassis though.

I am actually putting together a stroker 460, i'm going to have to get creative with a welder and an assortment of factory accessory mounts.

Oilpan, you can use a fox chassis 460 swap pan, made by Ford Racing.

A lot of the other details will require fabrication, but I think you'd be happy with the swap once you did it. Good luck, and let us know the progress!
    i think you might need some additional hands from someone who is used to making stuff work.

Dave84

A 460 truck oil pan will work as well. They are the same as a fox body 460 pan.

bigger is better over2tonsofFun's Avatar

There is a kit for a Big block Ford in a Panther:

Total Performance in Michigan has it, These prices are from a few years ago so I am not sure if they are correct:

Frame brackets------ 189.00pr
    motor mounts-------- 79.00pr
    oil pan w pick up dip stick & tube 7 quart 289.00
    Exhaust manifolds-- cast iron used 98.00pr
    Aluminum radiator 269.00

they also can do a complete turn key.

Tim
    89 Lincoln town car: project drag week
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP

Save the US money, impeach him now

Are you sure Total Performance Even exists any more??????? That isn't exactly a kit.. Using factory manifolds is not a worthwhile performance option..... What were they using for frame brackets? They are likely using factory motor mounts as they did with the T-bird swaps.

Yeap still around:
    Take from Yahoo yellow pages a couple minutes ago;
    Total performance
    44050 N Groesbeck Hwy, Clinton Township, MI 48036
    Phone: (586) 468-3673

don't know what they use for parts but I know there work is first class. The owner is a former director of racing for Ford. He has a 427 SOHC powered 63 Country Squire and a matching SOHC powered drag boat. I am sure they can fab up some headers.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
    I am sure they can fab up some headers.
    Other than Tom, you likely will not find anyone soon on the board willing to pay for custom fabbed headers.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

this is entirely true. What do the fox 460 swap headers look like? Maybe those can be used, or if there is a BBF shorty for some application, possibly something could be worked out

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

There's no welders in Heaven, they all went down to hell

460 fox swap headers are over $700 new, not really much savings over a custom set and I doubt they would fit... You might find a used set for cheaper tho to tinker with.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

JBA used to make a shorty header which should work. Because of low demand, they currently do not stock it... Perhaps they could be talked into doing a few sets if there were a group purchase...

There is someone on another foreum that did this.... He used a accesory setup that is sold for 460 Mustang swaps... it basically lets you use your 302 brackets... It consists of flat plates, with holes drilled and tapped so that you just bolt on the brackets off of the 302...

I think he bought them online... From Summit Racing...
    I think he also used the stock exaust manifolds...

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
    There is a kit for a Big block Ford in a Panther:

Total Performance in Michigan has it, These prices are from a few years ago so I am not sure if they are correct:

Frame brackets------ 189.00pr
    motor mounts-------- 79.00pr
    oil pan w pick up dip stick & tube 7 quart 289.00
    Exhaust manifolds-- cast iron used 98.00pr
    Aluminum radiator 269.00

they also can do a complete turn key.

Tim
    The Panther big-block swap kit has never existed. This has been verified by John Vermeersch himself, the owner of Total Performance, who I have spoken to on several occasions. The kit was never made, and was in reference to a Car Craft article back in the late 1980's that some idiot pieced together, without calling and asking John for verification. John had talked about it...once...and for somehow or another, that discussion developed into a complete engine swap kit, with prices and parts...and not a single kit was every produced, sold, or created. This has bugged the hell out of him for the better part of two decades, as he has received several dozen phone calls for orders, and has gotten into several screaming matches with idiots who won't take 'no' for an answer.

This isn't meant as a slap toward anyone, this is simply to kill off that idea for swap parts, before anyone else calls the poor guy for a non-existent swap kit. At this point, you are going to have to follow the one guy here who did one, and he hardly ever posts in here...if at all. I do have Lee Senior's email address (he's the one who made the 5.0 mustang brackets to work with the 460-into-CV swap, and at last count, he was charging around $200 or more for the belt-drive kit.

Concerning Total Performance....I have John's phone number, but the business has ceased to exist, other than some light side work of his.
    Last edited by Pirate; 04-21-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    this is entirely true. What do the fox 460 swap headers look like? Maybe those can be used, or if there is a BBF shorty for some application, possibly something could be worked out
    The fox units don't fit. I deservedly got an ass-chewing from the guy that did one here about my mistaking the fox body set for the set that fit the box....they don't even come close...he bought a set of hooker Mustang swap headers, and they were observedly the wrong ones....I think he has a picture of them on his supermotors page, and how badly they fit.
    What this stems from, is I did test fit a 460 into a 86 box wagon...and I had three sets of headers that all fit perfectly. I had borrowed the sets from a guy who claimed that they were all Fox body swap headers, and from what I had seen at the time, they honestly looked like the swap headers I had seen at the time. However, I abandoned the project, and haven't revisited it since.

If I ever build another panther, it will be something small-block motivated, whether it be stroked, turboed, or supercharged.

Quote Originally Posted by trwp72 View Post
    There is someone on another foreum that did this.... He used a accesory setup that is sold for 460 Mustang swaps... it basically lets you use your 302 brackets... It consists of flat plates, with holes drilled and tapped so that you just bolt on the brackets off of the 302...

I think he bought them online... From Summit Racing...
    I think he also used the stock exaust manifolds...

Tom...
    This is the Lee Senior kit I am speaking about...

The one known set of headers that fits is from Ford Powertrain Applications, out of Renton, Washington.
    Last edited by Pirate; 04-21-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Damn, Didn't know he never produced the parts. I was going off the info/price sheet I was sent a few years ago. I guess I will have to go it solo when I get my 2 door.

Tim

Back in the early 90s, Chris Kauffman used to do custom bracket work and other stuff.... this part of his business fell to the wayside along with the others....... I stopped in at Kauffman's place, JBA and Monster Miata back in the early 90s when they were all having fun with custom stuff.. Monster Miata is the only place doing the same thing they did back then because they specialize in a small niche....