No announcement yet.

Troubleshooting Tailgate Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rivets that hold regulator to door .......... rivets that hold regulator to door ....... okay, just took a look ... looks like removing those would set loose the whole window apparatus!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well, if you're trying to remove the regulator, thats sort of the point isn't it ?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah. Well, I was thinking that the regulator part that's usually replaced is just the gear piece that you get to, at least in the other doors, by drilling out the three dimples and removing the three little bolts.

Comment

thats the window motor itself. the regulator is that torture rack looking mess that the window glass actually attatches to. Has the scissor mechanism and all that as part of it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What parts of the mechanism usually break other than the little plastic gear? I know sometimes the guides get weird and let the window go crooked, but that seems like a separate problem.

Comment

usually there really is not much reason to remove the entire regulator. The plastic pieces in the track under the glass wear out sometimes, but thats the worst of it. No idea why someone would need or want to pull it, but if you do, the rivets need to be drilled out. I think this whole tangent came up from a mixup of terms.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                I think this whole tangent came up from a mixup of terms.
                +1 - my apologies for the confusion, and gratitude for the info!

Comment

Digging up a thread from the grave! I was looking to replace the rear window motor in my wagon, and I believe I had to remove the regulator assembly (I do NOT want to drill holes). Are there any updated methodologies? I see in 2008 Scott said he was able to get at it with a stubby ratcheting wrench? I don't have any stubby's, but if i know the bolt size i can get one.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

should be 8mm or 5/16, same thing.

Comment

If I have any time I can study my donor tailgate since I need to take it apart to do some stuff with it so it can be put on my car. The current tailgate on the car had a access window of sorts cut into it (cut on three sides so it could be pulled away and bent back into place). I wouldn't recommend it but it's not super noticeable and the motor works.

Honestly, if an access hole was cut, then a piece of square metal appropriately affixed over the hole, it would make access more pleasant while not being excessively obtrusive if done correctly. It was a thought I had when I looked at the cuts on mine.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

It has been many years since I was inside the tailgate. Mine had 2 or 3 galvanized (?) Panels under the plastic cover.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                          It has been many years since I was inside the tailgate. Mine had 2 or 3 galvanized (?) Panels under the plastic cover.
                          That sounds about right. Those panels open into some extra access to get at... uh, things. I haven't had the time to actually poke about my donor one, so I have nothing new. If I have enough time Wednesday I might work up the energy to go and attempt to strip mine down.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...light=TAILGATE

Dont remember if this has info needed should be made a sticky probably
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                            X