Full Vinyl Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Vinyl Top

Has anybody put vinyl over the entire top of their box? I was thinking about doing it, but I figured maybe there was some reason nobody else has done it.
    1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

It's not cheap.

Comment

Some came factory this way, but its not real common. SayanEye has an 82 with the full top, and my 86 Towny has one too.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Some came factory this way, but its not real common. SayanEye has an 82 with the full top, and my 86 Towny has one too.
        I thought that was a cloth top on your towny.

Comment

no, its vinyl in very bad shape. cloth top cars don't have the little window between the rear door and the back window.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it's the look you want, Go for It!

The Cost is the only reason why so few people have done it.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of an ltd with a full vinyl top? I kind of want to see it, before I do it.
              1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

Comment

I don't like them because water can get underneath and rust your roof. If you have a half vinyl top and it's in bad shape, i'd just take it off and go slicktop. In my opinion that looks best and it's the cheapest solution.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

If it's something you want go for it. I think you'll have problems with it down the road, but they do add that elegant look to them.
                  sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
                  [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
                  [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
                  [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

In my opinion they just look cheesy. I see lots of 03+ Town Car Cartiers slicktop and they look just as nice. Do Bently's and Rolls Royce's need vinyl/cloth tops to look classy? Heck no, and Panthers don't either. Again, just my opinion but it aint my car or my money.

I do suggest if you get a new top to take car if it to the best of your ability so it stays looking like new and you get your money's worth.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Dan, Bently's and Roll Royces are classy just because of their name, I think they look like crap lol
                      sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
                      [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
                      [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
                      [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

Slicktop might be an idea, IF you can find all the little chrome pieces you'll need to change out.
                        Plus there's the cost of all the bodywork involved. Cheaper just to replace the vinyl....assuming you're not rusted out underneath.
                        People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by uwantbreadbai View Post
                          Does anyone have a pic of an ltd with a full vinyl top? I kind of want to see it, before I do it.
                          I have seen one, at a junkyard but I didn't have my camera. The full vinyl top not only covers the roof but on both sides of the windshield it's covered in the vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            Do Bently's and Rolls Royce's need vinyl/cloth tops to look classy?.
                            We aren't talking about Rolls Royce or Bentlys, but since we're on the subject, yes they do need it, because they cover up some of the shit :p

Comment

Full Vinyl tops were very common before 1983 (aka when it was an LTD and not a Crown Victoria). I've only seen one CV built after 1983 with a full vinyl top, but it looked nice.

Me thinks there are nice little mouldings on the bottom of the A-Pillar specific to full vinyl top cars, but it could probably be custom made.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X