Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done the linkage 3 different ways welding, marking and drilling new holes and one I cut a crank off one and flipped it ground down the crank on the TB to be used and bolted it togeather. Oh a 4th way was on my FMS 65mm TB the crank was held on by a nut so just had to unblot it flip it reset up the spring on the shaft all done. Dont think FMS offers the 65mm TB any more.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'm using a 1986 Mercury Capri EGR spacer and TB on my original lopo upper intake manifold. Got the lever switched around and it's all mocked up, ready to go except for two minor items:
      1. How do I mount the "salt and pepper shaker" electrical connectors on the back of the EGR spacer? I'd like to reinstall the bracket so the connectors are just flopping around.
      2. My TPS doesn't quite clear the edge of the 86 HO throttle body. I see that it can be made to fit by filing about 1 mm off the plastic housing, has anybody else run into this problem? I don't think it's a good idea to turn it around 180 degrees.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you really kinda want the stock egr spacer. It actually has the proper mount points for the throttle cable bracket. I thought the 88 had the connectors mounted to the wiper box anyway.

The ones that did hang it on the upper intake I want to say had a notch in the upper intake itself where the bracket clipped. The spacer and throttle body don't really factor into it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          you really kinda want the stock egr spacer. It actually has the proper mount points for the throttle cable bracket. I thought the 88 had the connectors mounted to the wiper box anyway.

The ones that did hang it on the upper intake I want to say had a notch in the upper intake itself where the bracket clipped. The spacer and throttle body don't really factor into it.
          I wondered what those notches were for...I did some googling and found that's what the Mustangs had, was a plastic clip onto the upper intake. Maybe that's what I'll do, is mount the bracket onto the wiper motor cowling. As for using the original EGR spacer, well, the only way I have to bore it out is with a file. Doesn't appeal to me one bit. No machine shop sucks.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

So the LoPo's have a bracket that mounts to the EGR spacer for the shakers? You think I'd remember after having to redo the gaskets for mine not 3 months ago. Actually, that is coming back to me. I do vividly remember in the midst of prepping my HO upper I ground away some of the manifold to make room for the shakers plastic bracket, figured I'd have to reuse that. Oh well. It's painted and ready to go now.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              So the LoPo's have a bracket that mounts to the EGR spacer for the shakers? You think I'd remember after having to redo the gaskets for mine not 3 months ago. Actually, that is coming back to me. I do vividly remember in the midst of prepping my HO upper I ground away some of the manifold to make room for the shakers plastic bracket, figured I'd have to reuse that. Oh well. It's painted and ready to go now.
              Depends on the year and/or model. I think on my '91 they're mounted on their own bracket which mounts to two of the outer rear corner bolts for the driver side valve cover. The bracket goes up the side of the valve cover, 90 degree turn to run across the top of the valve cover, then the mounting tabs for the S&P connectors are angled up.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                As for using the original EGR spacer, well, the only way I have to bore it out is with a file. Doesn't appeal to me one bit. No machine shop sucks.
                Can't do it with a file. You'd never get it round enough. There are absolutely no machine shops around? Anywhere that does engine rebuilds ought to have a setup to get that done. A mill or a lathe will do it easily, just need either a boring head or a boring bar, depending what machine is available. Besides my garage, I've got two places in as many miles that could handle that job and I live in the middle of nowhere.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Can't do it with a file. You'd never get it round enough. There are absolutely no machine shops around? Anywhere that does engine rebuilds ought to have a setup to get that done. A mill or a lathe will do it easily, just need either a boring head or a boring bar, depending what machine is available. Besides my garage, I've got two places in as many miles that could handle that job and I live in the middle of nowhere.
                  There's a place here that's called a "machine shop" but it's really a welding/fabrication shop. Every time I've asked the guy to do machine work, he says it can't be done. So I have just resigned to the fact I don't have access to machine work services. Engines here usually get packed up and sent away for rebuild and/or machine work. Not meaning to "one-up" you Gadget, but I think I got you beat on the "middle of nowhere" factor.
                  I'm going to go ahead and use the 86 Capri EGR spacer, re-route the coolant line around to the front of the spacer and make something reasonably clean and tidy for the shakers to mount on. As for the TP sensor, I'll bevel off the upper edge of the EGR spacer so that it fits, similar to the shape of the original panther EGR spacer.

Comment

Isn't it the cable bracket mounting-point that's the major issue with our EGR spacers? Also, isn't one of our guys doing boring on the stock ones? Why not just send it to him instead of doing weird fuckery with an improper spacer? Lightning ones do pop up now and then on EBAY too.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      Isn't it the cable bracket mounting-point that's the major issue with our EGR spacers? Also, isn't one of our guys doing boring on the stock ones? Why not just send it to him instead of doing weird fuckery with an improper spacer? Lightning ones do pop up now and then on EBAY too.
                      I don't want to wait 6-8 weeks for it to be returned.
                      I may attempt to put studs on there and mock-up the original mounting scheme, or do something to bore out the original spacer.

Comment

Back then, I used an air powered die grinder to bore/port mine out, and just gasket matched it to the HO Gasket. It took awhile but wasn't bad at all. Idk how he ever got that I used a file, lol! Now days, with far less time on my hands, I'd just take it to a local machine shop, or spring for the lightning spacer.

Comment

Its like a 15 minute job on a lathe, and much of that is getting it set up properly in the chuck and setting up the cutting tools. Having done one on my lathe, I can say that fairly confidently. I have an old manual machine too. Someone that is actually a machinist and not running something that would be considered state of the art at the turn of last century could likely knock that out a fair bit faster. If you had a spare one I'd be happy to do it for you, shipping it part way across the planet and across a national border in both directions would be not very cost effective though.

The throttle bracket mount is the real issue. Fox stuff has those ears sticking out, ours use studs on the opposite side. The bigger issue is that one of the studs goes into nowhere on the Fox spacers. If you look at the stock EGR spacer, there is a hunk of metal below the "body" of the thing where the lower bracket stud is. There is nothing there on the Fox parts.

Comment

What everyone else said mang. The mounting of the salt and pepper shaker bracket is the least of your problems. You literally have no place to mount the trhottle cables to.

I can hook you up with a lightning spacer (only if you are planning on not using the egr coolant lines...sound like you are though ) for a good deal if you are interested. Just pm me. Its all painted and shiny looking to boot.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to fab up a temporary bracket for the throttle/TV/cruise cable and use the 86 Mustang spacer for the time being, and look for a better spacer in the meantime.
                              I have to remove the upper manifold again at some point to change my valve covers as the ones I want to use haven't arrived yet and it looks like it may be a while before they do.
                              Thanks for the help, mangs!

Comment

Working...
                              X